1 Posts

They Shall Not Pass: The Battle of Verdun 1916» Forums » Rules

Subject: Infiltration revisited rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Glass
United States
flag msg tools
This is a copy of my reply to an earlier post on this issue. Due to ongoing discussions within a group I know, I would appreciate any current opinions or feedback. Thanks

I have been reading the "new" rules to this game and pondering the infiltration rule (15.5) allowing move through negated hexes at no extra MPs as well as making rule 8.44 optional (friendly units negate weak and strong ZOCs).

I actually do not like the idea of making 8.44 optional as it works with too many of the game mechanics. A friend who introduced me to this wanted to try with it only negating Strong ZOCs, but we haven't tried it yet.

The part the bothers me is the infiltration move in 15.5 at no extra MPs. Anything that constrains a units moving ability, be it rough terrain, weather, or even having to cross obstatcles at choke points like bridges and fords, typically costs a unit some movement ability. In the case for infiltration, it seems that the FRIENDLY units engaging the enemy in the same hex, and thus allowing others to infiltrate past the enemy in a constrained rear area, would apply as a constricting factor to the infiltrating unit. It would be easing past (sounds better than sneaking past) but not at full open country unimpeded speed.

Has anyone considered changing 15.5 to allow infiltration, with the standard 8.44 negated ZOCs still in effect, BUT having the infiltration cost 1 extra MP per hex infiltrated?

Seems this would be a more realistic battlefield result with infiltration and negated ZOCs still happening, but the blitz leapfrogging would become more of the true battlefield effect of the attacker oozing forward past pinned units.

Ron Glass

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.