Thumb up
1 Posts

De Bellis Magistrorum Militum» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Medieval Germans v. Medieval Swedish (DBMM 200) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Johansson
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
So once again my 13C Germans were facing a 15C army - suppose I should be getting a late medieval army myself at some point. This was the Scandinavian commander's second game of DBMM.

Anyway, the Swedes turned out to be invading Germany in autumn. The relevant terrain turned out ot be a moderately large wooded hill bang in the German deployment zone and a smallish wood on the middle of the northern table edge (on the Germans' right). There was also an open field to the south but in the absence of rain it had no impact.

The invading Swedes ended up deploying first, and set up in deep columns to allow responding to any German deployment (assuming the PIP dice would cooperate - redeploying irregulars is not trivial). The centre command, facing the wooded hill, had six each of leidang blades and crossbowmen, a a knight general, and two elements of handgunners (Ps (S)). The right wing was near identical, only substituting an element of Lappish scouts (Ps (O)) for the handgunners. The left was held by the CinC in a mounted command of knights and mounted crossbows (Cv (O) & (I)). There was also some light guns back with the baggage.

The Germans had their CinC with an command solely of knights on the left and a mixed command of knights and Hungarians (LH (F)) on the right. In the centre was mixed foot command, with a line of skirmishing archers and crossbowmen across the hill, some mercenary crossbows and swordsmen to the left of it, and some Heerbann spearmen and the knight general to the right.

The Scandinavian wing commands, being reasonably happy about the matchups before them, fanned out and rapidly crossed the field, but the centre command, getting a sequence of poor PIP dice, could do little but desultorily trundle forward in columns towards the thinly held wooded hill. The Germans advanced only slowly, except the right wing command and the Heerbann spear from the centre, who tried to get past the northern wood to let the Hungarians spread out and envelope the Swedish flank. The Swedish CinC proved swifter, however, and the commands hit one another head on in the gap between the hill and the wood.

The initial clash went the Germans' way, with the knights and Heerbann eliminating one Swedish cavalry element each. Then followed a couple bounds of not much happening in this part of the battlefield, as the Swedes were all ZOC'd and the Germans got too few PIPs to do much of anything with the generals of both involved commands locked in combat with Swedish knights. Some polearm-men from the Swedish centre tried to help by attacking the Heerbann, but somehow got one element destroyed and the rest pushed back by the German peasants.

The rest of the Swedish centre still didn't have the PIPs to mount an attack on the German archers on the hill, nor to set off to either wing and help there, so stood and did not much. The guns moved up from the camp and eventually started shooting, rather ineffectually, on the German right through the holes in the Swedish line there.

Down on the southern end of the field (German left, Swedish right), the Swedish crossbowmen finally got into range from the German's CinC and his knights, but while inflicting a lot of recoils failed to actually destroy anything. German return fire caused a few recoils among the Swedish blades. Having the high PIP die, the German CinC was soon able to orchestrate a massed charge by his knights despite the broken-up lines, and in a flurry of splendid dice rolling the Germans smashed through, destroying six crossbow and two blade elements, breaking the Swedish command instantly.

In the same bound, the general of the German right wing finally managed to double the Swedish knights he was fighting, breaking that command too, and thereby the army. German losses were neglible, for a 25-0 win.

The Swedish commander made some mistakes - putting irregular foot in column in front of a wooded hill is asking for PIP trouble, and the centre command duly did little - but when knights roll as well as my CinC's did in this battle there's little stopping them: in the final bound, they won five consecutive combats at equal factors in a row, breaking the Swedish right wing in one go. On the other wing, I had some luck too - Sp (I) beating off Bd (O) - but chiefly won because knights punch through cavalry. The Hungarians were mostly reduced to reserves but one actually went into the woods to provide an overlap against the end of the Swedish line.

Given the weakness of the Swedish mounted, it might have been a better idea to deploy them in the middle to screen the hill, where I would rather predictably put foot, and probably not the Irr Sp, and foot on both wings. But it'd probably still be moot when I rolled as well as I did for combat. (My PIPs, OTOH, were forgettable to poor, but I didn't need to do a whole lot of manoeuvre in this battle.)
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.