Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo
Please thumb up this post to attract more gamers
goo

Great showing last night.
We had 24 gamers including a noob or three.

First up THANK YOU for your support!
With your help we raised 42 dollars for the Christmas gift.
We will make the presentation next week.

On to the games...

There were lots and lots and lots and lots...
I am really interested in the opinions of 1825 and Steam (Or was it Chicago Express). I've had these on my mental maybe list for a while and I'd really like to get your impressions of the games.

On our table it was CUBA.
We took out two of the stronger buildings before starting the game in order to level the playing field.

We had three newbees, but they had the "machine building" idea down by about the second round. The game was tight. Four people within about 10 points.

All in all it went quite smoothly.
Yours truly did a come from behind win on the last scoring for buildings.

goo
It looks like the last game session of the year will be on the 30th.
If the legion is open, does that work for everybody?
goo
THE GLEN. Don't forget next Tuesday the West end has their session at the Glen pub in Kanata.
goo

If you played them, post them.
goo

MrZoz

See you in 2 weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
Taiwan
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
1825 is a 2 player 18xx and an easy entry point into the genre. It's playable in 2-3 hours and we finished Sean's first game in 3.5 including the rules explanation.

I started out building north out of Glasgow into the mountain-ed north with the NBR and Sean started building south out of Glasgow with the Caledonian. We both ended up running 3 companies and selling trains around to our personal benefit by the end of the game. In the final count Sean had more cash in hand but I had more valuable stock which made up the difference for the win.

I really enjoy 18xx and 1825 is on the kinder stock market side of the tree. Most of the 18xx games have a nastier stock market (which is a lot of fun) but the nasty stock market side doesn't really play very well with 2 players.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike rosberg
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium got an early start (4:30) in the hope of completing a game before sunrise. Steve did some research and put together a number of optional rules for his game intended make it easier for players to reach the end-game condition of attaining 9VPs. The game was a rather peaceful affair with only one round of space/ground battles which took place in the early stages. Most factions were content to planet squat for the first 3/4 of the game. When it became apparent that I was scoring too many VPs the love-in ended with several action cards and political acts being expended for my benefit. Had the game lasted one more turn my mighty space armada faced certain annihilation as John, Dean and Steve had all managed to chug their mighty piles of space fleets within striking distance of my domain. All for not as I managed to sneak in the last VP needed for victory. In a way it was a shame that it ended when it did, just before the combat started in earnest...but I'm not complaining. Perhaps a small tweaking of the optional rules will allow for some serious melee while still keeping the game to a reasonable length.

Tichu was up next. John and I were both noobs, so play was somewhat slow. We played just long enough for me to realize what a seriously fun card game it is. I'm looking forward to playing it again soon.

I saw many cool looking games out there last night that I'd like to try sometime...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rekim wrote:
Twilight Imperium got an early start (...
Which edition do you guys play?

Gerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike rosberg
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
Rekim wrote:
Twilight Imperium got an early start (...
Which edition do you guys play?

I think it was the third edition. Perhaps Steve will confirm this for us..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Adamson
Canada
Barrhaven
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Who was that gentleman who told me he lives near the Nepean Sportsplex, and wanted to try Command and Colors?

He was in the group playing Twilight Imperium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Larkin
Canada
Carp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerry,

We played mostly the base 3rd Edition with a couple of things lifted from the expansion. To speed things up we lowered winning vp from 10 to 9. We played with artifacts (stationary planet based VP). We used Age of Empires expansion (allowing all objective cards to be seen). We simulated early turns which speeds up the first few turns. And we tossed in the "Voice of the council" special action (that really had no effect on the game!). We also used the Tactical Retreat option but it didn't really come up since the one battle in the game was over in the first round.

We also used some of the new strategy cards: Diplomacy II, Assembly, Technology II, and Imperial II.

The game ran from about 5:15 to 9:15 after approx 1 hour explanation. Having a few more battles would slow things down but this might be mitigated in time as the rules are better understood.

We did have a couple of unresolved rules questions. I'll go into these perhaps for the benefit of the other players?

from the faq. page 3:
Q: If a planet contains one Ground Force, one Space Dock,
and one PDS, and “Local Unrest” is played on that planet,
are the Space Dock and PDS destroyed?
A: Yes. The Space Dock and PDS would be destroyed due to
the planet changing ownership (becoming neutral).

from the faq. page 4:
Q: If the last Ground Force unit is destroyed by bombardment, are all PDS destroyed as well?
A: No. PDSs may exist on a friendly planet without Ground
Forces.

And I never could figure out how the Naalu '0' initiative works with 4 player games (with 2 strategy cards each)

To sum, this is a big game with a lot of replay value (especially with the variants in the expansion). You do need to set some time aside for it. I like that it has a lot of game balance mechanisms built in (for example, the political/voting actions). Definitely looking forward to my next session!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike rosberg
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaknugget wrote:
Who was that gentleman who told me he lives near the Nepean Sportsplex, and wanted to try Command and Colors?

He was in the group playing Twilight Imperium.

Hi Peter. That was me, and am still interested in linking up for some C&C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valenta
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one of the participants in the 6 player game of Chicago Express along with Steve, Ed, Kurt, Julian and Emil. I found the game to be fairly easy to learn and fun and I managed to pull out a victory by owning stock in most of the companies. I enjoyed the fact that I could sit back and let other players do the work. As far as train games go, I would put this above Ticket to Ride but below Stream in complexity. I think it worked great with 6 players. I also played a 2 player game of Battlelore against Kurt but, unfortunately, with no one else there to help me, I got crushed. I did enjoy the game though and would be willing to try it again now that I know the basic rules and have a feeling for what doesn't work .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
Over at our table we had:

Dominion x2 games. Pete won (at least) one. forget who won the first game. This was my fist play and I really enjoyed this game. Would play it again in a heartbeat. Players were Davidx2, Eric, Pete)

Vegas Showdown. Eric and I then teamed up with Shawn and the 2 Bob's to play Vegas Showdown. Shawn was the victor and I was a distant last. The key for Shawn seemed to be a big theater that netted him a lot of fame and made 2 complete diamonds for 6 bonus points. This game didn't resonate with me, but I can't put my finger on why.

Bang. After my Vegas whuppin, Bang was a fast paced light card game. Enjoyed the theme. It seemed Shawn had all the right cards to be the victor as the Renegade, but Bob the Deputy inadvertently blew up Bob the Sheriff with his dynamite. The Outlaws (Eric and David) came out victorious. (Although Bob the Deputy was too kind to knock me out of the game earlier on when he could have). Fun 4-7 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Adamson
Canada
Barrhaven
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Deefer wrote:
Dominion x2 games. Pete won (at least) one. forget who won the first game. This was my fist play and I really enjoyed this game. Would play it again in a heartbeat. Players were Davidx2, Eric, Pete)

Lol. Sorry to say, technically I didn't win any of the games. I think I came 3rd in the first game, and tied Dave for 1st in the second at 31 VPs.

Next time though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.