Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the FAQ, it says that if a portal opens on a closed location, the portal replaces the location as long as it remains opened (so monsters and investigators may access this location/portal again). The once the portal is closed, the effect of the closed location are resolved (monsters and investigators are thrown back to the street...

My question is, does this mean you can't seal a portal that is being closed on a clsoed location, because you are automatically sent back to the street, or are you allowed to seal the portal first, then have to move to the street as a result of the closed location?

Thanks for your input!

Fred

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sealing a portal is part of closing it, at least that's how I always imagined it. Sure you close it then decide to spend 5 clue tokens to seal it, but it's effectively the same act. After Closing/Sealing the portal, then you're ejected to the streets.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. Rulebook says "If an investigator successfully closes a gate, he may immediately spend five Clue tokens to permanently seal it." Immediately being the key word here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Sealing a portal is part of closing it, at least that's how I always imagined it. Sure you close it then decide to spend 5 clue tokens to seal it, but it's effectively the same act. After Closing/Sealing the portal, then you're ejected to the streets.

-shnar

I'm pretty sure you don't get thrown into the street once you've closed or sealed a gate. Otherwise, you're correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snipafist wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

I'm pretty sure you don't get thrown into the street once you've closed or sealed a gate. Otherwise, you're correct.

We are talking about two different types of "closed" here. One is the "closed gate" which does NOT kick you out. The other is the "closed location" which DOES.

If a location is closed (that little rectangular token that looks like a barred door), no one can enter. But if a gate opens on it, the gate replaces the location for the time being. So if you go to close the gate, it reverts back to a closed location and you are kicked out into the street.

However, since sealing a gate is simulataneous with closing it, you can still seal a gate before getting tossed on your butt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Snipafist wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

We are talking about two different types of "closed" here. One is the "closed gate" which does NOT kick you out. The other is the "closed location" which DOES.

If a location is closed (that little rectangular token that looks like a barred door), no one can enter. But if a gate opens on it, the gate replaces the location for the time being. So if you go to close the gate, it reverts back to a closed location and you are kicked out into the street.

However, since sealing a gate is simulataneous with closing it, you can still seal a gate before getting tossed on your butt.

It all makes perfect sense now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your great input!

Fred

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.