Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two questions over exchanging clue cards in hand:

1) Can you do this on a normal turn, instead of playing a card or moving the ATV? It's not mentioned in the main section of the rules about taking a turn, in fact in this section it just says you can exchange with an amulet. But, in the amulet powers section, it says that players can exchange without an amulet in lieu of their usual turn. If this is the case, why aren't the turn options given as (1) play card, (2) move ATV or (3) exchange cards?

2) The rules suggest that if you exchange, you have to exchange all six cards (you can't for example, exchange four out of six). Have I read this correctly?

I've got the English Rio Grande version (in terms of what rules I'm looking at).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten ◄► Wesel
Germany
Pinneberg-Quellental
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The german rules are like the english ones. 2 options for you turn and the exchange of cards is mentioned somewhere else in the rules.

I can't remember the amount of cards to change and my rules are at home and I not.

But: I have never used this option (with or without an amulett) in any of my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Franke
Germany
Nuremberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an amulet in your supply, you may only exchange your hand if you give up an amulet.
Only in the case, where you do not have an amulet at all, you are allowed to exchange "for free".
So, it would not make sense to list this as an additional option for a regular turn (at least you would have to mention the prerequisite of not having amulets).
I think on the Spielbox.de forum the publisher mentioned, that the intention was to add the possibility to exchange bad starting hands.

In any case, you have to exchange all cards in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Two questions over exchanging clue cards in hand:

1) Can you do this on a normal turn, instead of playing a card or moving the ATV? It's not mentioned in the main section of the rules about taking a turn, in fact in this section it just says you can exchange with an amulet. But, in the amulet powers section, it says that players can exchange without an amulet in lieu of their usual turn. If this is the case, why aren't the turn options given as (1) play card, (2) move ATV or (3) exchange cards?

2) The rules suggest that if you exchange, you have to exchange all six cards (you can't for example, exchange four out of six). Have I read this correctly?

I've got the English Rio Grande version (in terms of what rules I'm looking at).

The designer talked about this in the following thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/459989

Specifically, his comments were:

Quote:
Hello, thanks for targeting the rule which is probably the most misunderstandable.

Latest news, the editors at Zoch have already started a revision of the rules to clear up the points now addressed by the FAQs right from the start. I'll be joining in next week, we plan to have it ready for the next print-run.

The FAQs are now available in English, too. The link is
http://www.zoch-verlag.com/en/service/faq-tobago.html

I probably had better translated the rule passage:
"You may exchange your clue cards in the same manner even if you do not possess an amulet, if you forgo your entire turn instead."
to
"You may also exchange your clue cards in the same manner if you do not possess an amulet, if you forgo your entire turn instead."

Joe: Thanks for catching it!

Anthony: Thanks for jumping in!

Simon: Yes, your assumption is correct, it was a late addition, but kind of hiding it was done on purpose.

As you all noticed, changing your hand is kind of a last resort option, and we did not want to give it the same weight as the main options: "Playing a clue card" and "Moving your ATV" by making it Option C.

Evan: I really enjoy your Playing Aid, it is concise and very well done and, for its purpose, making "Exchanging your Hand" option C is the logical thing to do.

I think if you change the wording:

"C: Exchange entire hand of clue cards for new cards"
to
"C: Exchange entire hand of clue cards for new cards,
but only if you do not possess an amulet during your turn"

it should capture the rules just fine.

Great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas - thanks, that's a perfect explanation.

And thanks Jeff for the thread link - I had glanced through the Rules forum but only at the subjects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And thanks Jeff for the thread link - I had glanced through the Rules forum but only at the subjects.

Sometimes the rules being discussed are obscured by the subject line, and sometimes rules questions inspire other questions within the same thread. It sure is nice though, when the designers take the time to come here and explain things for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Fjeld
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
"You may also exchange your clue cards in the same manner if you do not possess an amulet, if you forgo your entire turn instead."

As this problem came up twice during our initial session with Tobago today, I must ask for a clarification:

If you possess an amulet, you may exchange all your cards and then proceed with the turn, i.e. playing a card or moving ATV.

If you do not possess an amulet, you may choose to forgo your entire turn in order to swap all your cards for free.

The difference being that one who possess an amulet still have the advantage of maintaining one's turn, as an amulet in general can be converted into an additional options for one's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pocoloco wrote:
As this problem came up twice during our initial session with Tobago today, I must ask for a clarification:

If you possess an amulet, you may exchange all your cards and then proceed with the turn, i.e. playing a card or moving ATV.

If you do not possess an amulet, you may choose to forgo your entire turn in order to swap all your cards for free.

That's correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sarah_elton wrote:
... you have to exchange all six cards ...

Whoa, did I miss something? You get 6 cards, not 4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyboy157 wrote:
Whoa, did I miss something? You get 6 cards, not 4?

The two player game is 6, others 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.