Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Galaxy Trucker» Forums » Rules

Subject: Open Space / Double Engines / No Batteries + building error question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Long
United States
Wilmington
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is a noob question. I have only played 3 games and last night we had someone build a ship with only double engines. I read the rules about open space and giving up and I took it to mean that you must have an engine value of at least 1 to move through open space or you have to give up. I also took it to mean that if you only had double engines and you do not want to give up, you must spend a battery in open space to bring your engine strength to at least 2 to avoid having to give up. Is this right?

The 2nd question I had has to do with building errors. The rules say if an error is found in "flight" then you have to fix it and then pay a credit for ignoring the laws of physics. An error was found on my ship at the end of the round while we were scoring. I took this as not in "Flight" any longer and did not loose the offending pieces nor did I pay the credit. Even though it was not an intentional cheat, it seemed like if you made it to scoring, you are in the clear. Is that right?

Thanks all and sorry if this has been discussed before.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maxwell_Finn wrote:
Sorry if this is a noob question. I have only played 3 games and last night we had someone build a ship with only double engines. I read the rules about open space and giving up and I took it to mean that you must have an engine value of at least 1 to move through open space or you have to give up. I also took it to mean that if you only had double engines and you do not want to give up, you must spend a battery in open space to bring your engine strength to at least 2 to avoid having to give up. Is this right?

Yes, that is all correct.

Quote:
The 2nd question I had has to do with building errors. The rules say if an error is found in "flight" then you have to fix it and then pay a credit for ignoring the laws of physics. An error was found on my ship at the end of the round while we were scoring. I took this as not in "Flight" any longer and did not loose the offending pieces nor did I pay the credit. Even though it was not an intentional cheat, it seemed like if you made it to scoring, you are in the clear. Is that right?

I don't think the rules are very precise about errors. This is like any other game, if you are playing Carcassonne and at the end of the game you realize someone played an illegal tile and scored a bunch of points as a result, what do you do? It's up to the players to work it out. I would say the same thing here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Long
United States
Wilmington
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David. Our group is pretty friendly and we played it as stated. If you make it to scoring...oh well. You should have caught it during the spot check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick PA
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of these are nooby questions!
Maxwell_Finn wrote:
Yes, completely correct. As he cannot move through space he has to give up!
Maxwell_Finn wrote:
But then you still have defeated physics in one complete round! This I think is more a personal matter, I would have with some of my gaming groups demanded that it should be handled as ''Flight''. The game is not completely over, and you're trying to sell goods as you have landed!
But this i think comes down to your gaming group! With some of the people i game with, i would probably not have minded letting them "defying the laws of physics" in one round!

Well the last question i did not give a definite answer!

Edit: Typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maxwell_Finn wrote:
Thanks David. Our group is pretty friendly and we played it as stated. If you make it to scoring...oh well. You should have caught it during the spot check.

I agree, that's what the spot checks are for. If your fellow players didn't catch it, then it's their fault you broke the law of physics, not yours! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Flaws Discovered During Flight
If someone discovers that your ship is illegal in flight (any time after the first adventure card has been revealed) you must immediately correct the mistake as described above and pay 1 cosmic credit to the bank for violating the laws of physics.

Flight is defined as any time after the first adventure card is revealed. Scoring is after the first card is revealed. So you should still pay if it's discovered during scoring.

The other question is very clearly defined in the rules:

Quote:
Open Space without Engines
Thanks to inertia, your ship can finish the journey even without engines as long as you don’t encounter Open Space. When confronted by an Open Space card, you have to give up if your engine strength is zero (which could be due to having no engines or to having only double engines and no battery power left). Don’t forget that the orange alien does not add to your engine strength when you have none to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Long
United States
Wilmington
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I probably should have paid and lost the 3 other tiles attached which included all of my red cargo. My only complaint is the problem was not found by one of the players....it was found by a spectator at the very end of the game. If a player had found it, sure we all make mistake and that's part of the game. Oh well, just ranting now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C, Arnold III
United States
Roswell
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok just me ranting now.

the rules do not specify that an apponent has to find the error. the rules state that if an error is found then it has to be removed and the penalty paid. the offending pieces go in the pieces lost during flight part of your board.

just a thought of some of your previous explenations. So if you are playing a solo variant, under your guys rules. since no other players are there to find the error. you can just ignore all the placement rules. yeah does not even remotetly make since in that context.

so yes you should of removed the pieces, paid the 1 penalty for breaking the laws of physiqs, and also had to pay for the offending pieces at the last part of scoring.

in my opinion.

keep on trucking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.