Recommend
31 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: A letter from my mailman... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised to find the following hand-written note in my mailbox today, along with my regular mail:

mailman wrote:
I admire the fact that you mailed your Christmas cards to your neighbors. MOST people will break Federal laws and put their Christmas cards in other people's boxes.
Good for you!
mailman


Shhhh, no one tell him the real reason I mailed the cards to my neighbors is I'm too lazy/busy to go walk to their mailboxes in this !@#@%^%!! cold and ice. He gets paid to do it.
52 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:


mailman wrote:
I admire the fact that you mailed your Christmas cards to your neighbors. MOST people will break Federal laws and put their Christmas cards in other people's boxes.
Good for you!
mailman



There's a Federal law against putting Christmas cards in other people's boxes?! Did he just broke Federal law by putting that note in to your mailbox instead of posting it by mail?


(edit=grammar...I guess)
54 
 Thumb up
0.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scivias wrote:
There's a Federal law against putting Christmas cards in other people's boxes?!

Technically, it is against the law to put anything in someone elses mailbox except postal mail. I can understand the reasoning WHY, though I don't know if it would ever be enforced for something as silly as a Christmas card. (Though I try to avoid the US Postal Service anyway; if it weren't for first class mail, I'd probably never use them, as their service is awful, at least they have been in my experience).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
Avatar
mb
"Thanks for warning me! I was going to leave your Christmas tip in the box, but I don't want to run afoul of the authorities! I'll let the neighbors know, as well..." -- Taped to the outside, of course.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
I was surprised to find the following hand-written note in my mailbox today, along with my regular mail:

mailman wrote:
I admire the fact that you mailed your Christmas cards to your neighbors. MOST people will break Federal laws and put their Christmas cards in other people's boxes.
Good for you!
mailman


Shhhh, no one tell him the real reason I mailed the cards to my neighbors is I'm too lazy/busy to go walk to their mailboxes in this !@#@%^%!! cold and ice. He gets paid to do it.


At 50c a pop, I'll walk it to them and ring the doorbell.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scivias wrote:
Did he just broke Federal law by putting that note in to your mailbox instead of posting it by mail?


And given that the only way he'd know I mailed my cards to my neighbors is because he was delivering them that day (I had mailed them from the post office a few days prior, while doing a bunch of errands), I suspect the note broke some privacy laws too.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
At 50c a pop, I'll walk it to them and ring the doorbell.


Yeah, right, let me hear you say that when it's 15 degrees in Austin, blowing snow and icy streets, then maybe I'd believe you.

And no, the 90 second "Austin snowstorm" you got today doesn't count!
11 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:

And given that the only way he'd know I mailed my cards to my neighbors is because he was delivering them that day (I had mailed them from the post office a few days prior, while doing a bunch of errands), I suspect the note broke some privacy laws too.


You see: a lawsuit is writing itself.
10 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
At 50c a pop, I'll walk it to them and ring the doorbell.


Yeah, right, let me hear you say that when it's 15 degrees in Austin, blowing snow and icy streets, then maybe I'd believe you.

And no, the 90 second "Austin snowstorm" you got today doesn't count!


My cheapness knows no bounds.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
I was surprised to find the following hand-written note in my mailbox today, along with my regular mail:

mailman wrote:
I admire the fact that you mailed your Christmas cards to your neighbors. MOST people will break Federal laws and put their Christmas cards in other people's boxes.
Good for you!
mailman


Shhhh, no one tell him the real reason I mailed the cards to my neighbors is I'm too lazy/busy to go walk to their mailboxes in this !@#@%^%!! cold and ice. He gets paid to do it.


We just got one from our neighbors the other day and were like, "Why didn't they just drop it of and save the postage?"

And is it a federal crime if I don't mind my neighbor putting somethin in my mailbox? Do we both go to jail? And why are most of the letters I receive slightly opened?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That must be why we have a plastic newspaper mailbox attached to our mailpost. A couple years after we moved into our house, someone came around our neighborhood and attached a third plastic mailbox to everyone's mailpost. This one's yellow and specifically for hand delivered junk mail. I found it kind of annoying that they could attach this thing to my mailpost without even asking, but it's probably a city thing.

I've always wanted to cut a hole in the back of it and put a recycling bin there so anything that was put in that box was immediately disposed of.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Technically, it is against the law to put anything in someone elses mailbox except postal mail.

then was it illegal for the postal carrier to leave that note?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a news story many years ago about an elderly lady somewhere in California, who mailed many Christmas cards to family and friends.

But to save postage, she wrote the name and address of the family/friend in the upper left corner, where the return address goes. Then she would address the envelope to herself. And mail it without any postage.

Back then, the post office would actually return the letter to the sender if it had no postage. In this case, each of these cards actually got mailed to their intended recipient.

But the lady got caught, and I don't remember what they did. But I thought it was pretty creative of her (however, it was illegal). Of course nowadays, the post office no longer does that.

But it was a pretty funny story.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Technically, it is against the law to put anything in someone elses mailbox except postal mail.

then was it illegal for the postal carrier to leave that note?

That I don't know. As he was a postal employee putting it there, that may be considered postal mail, even if not postmarked, since the nature of the letter made it sound like it was at least somewhat related to official postal business.

Of course, that doesn't go into the potential privacy issues of noticing that pdclose had mailed the letters in the first place.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If I was truly the product of “Intelligent Design,” I’m pretty sure my fingers would be smaller or my nose would be bigger.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
Avatar
mbmb
jmilum wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Technically, it is against the law to put anything in someone elses mailbox except postal mail.

then was it illegal for the postal carrier to leave that note?


My spouse (trophywife), a former letter carrier, says that any note left by the mailman is considered a federal communication and therefore exempt from the "nothing but cancelled mail in the mailbox" rule.

6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
jmilum wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Technically, it is against the law to put anything in someone elses mailbox except postal mail.

then was it illegal for the postal carrier to leave that note?

That I don't know. As he was a postal employee putting it there, that may be considered postal mail, even if not postmarked, since the nature of the letter made it sound like it was at least somewhat related to official postal business.

Of course, that doesn't go into the potential privacy issues of noticing that pdclose had mailed the letters in the first place.


Yeah, if it's an "official" note with a postmark and everything it's legal. I wouldn't imagine the USPS wasting time on a note that goofy, but I wouldn't put it past them either.

PD,

If it was an actual personal note from your carrier, it was a desperate attempt at a compliment. Letter carriers are basically in a very bad spot right now, because they are losing so much mail volume. I was a carrier for 10 years, and I'm glad I got out when I did.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
greyareabeyond wrote:
I've always wanted to cut a hole in the back of it and put a recycling bin there so anything that was put in that box was immediately disposed of.


Pity you can't just do what we did, and put a 'No junk mail, or advertising' sign on your mailbox.

Down here, once you put one of those up, it's illegal for the people who deliver junkmail to put it in your mailbox. You wouldn't believe how much less paper is going into my re-cycling bin now.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Banichi wrote:
greyareabeyond wrote:
I've always wanted to cut a hole in the back of it and put a recycling bin there so anything that was put in that box was immediately disposed of.


Pity you can't just do what we did, and put a 'No junk mail, or advertising' sign on your mailbox.

Down here, once you put one of those up, it's illegal for the people who deliver junkmail to put it in your mailbox. You wouldn't believe how much less paper is going into my re-cycling bin now.


True story...

I once had a regular customer that had been ravaged with diabetes and lost both legs. He also had limited use of his arms. He asked if I would stop delivering junk mail to him, or at the very least the "Long Island papers" such as the Penny Saver, Town Crier, etc. I took the time to type a formal request to the postmaster per this customer's request. The postmaster told me we could NOT take the loss in revenue by not delivering to this disabled man. So I knocked on this customer's door and delivered them to his preffered box. File 13.

Stanley Ayres, rest in peace.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:
Banichi wrote:
greyareabeyond wrote:
I've always wanted to cut a hole in the back of it and put a recycling bin there so anything that was put in that box was immediately disposed of.


Pity you can't just do what we did, and put a 'No junk mail, or advertising' sign on your mailbox.

Down here, once you put one of those up, it's illegal for the people who deliver junkmail to put it in your mailbox. You wouldn't believe how much less paper is going into my re-cycling bin now.


True story...

I once had a regular customer that had been ravaged with diabetes and lost both legs. He also had limited use of his arms. He asked if I would stop delivering junk mail to him, or at the very least the "Long Island papers" such as the Penny Saver, Town Crier, etc. I took the time to type a formal request to the postmaster per this customer's request. The postmaster told me we could take the loss in revenue by not delivering to this disabled man. So I knocked on this customer's door and delivered them to his preffered box. File 13.

Stanley Ayres, rest in peace.


Did I just hear a bell ring?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
daveroswell wrote:
PD,

If it was an actual personal note from your carrier, it was a desperate attempt at a compliment.


Thanks! Yes, it was hand-written on an oversize piece of Post-It note paper, and I did take it as a compliment, though I was amused too, thus the post here.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Post-its indicate the height of postal desperation.

As a postal gift, maybe you should give this desperate man more Post-its.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[rant]

The PO has always been a weird state of affairs for me. Our local post office had exactly one cashier working in the Office (not a small branch) the Monday after Thanksgiving Weekend, of course there was a line out the door waiting to pick up all the held mail.

So they lay off more people, then jack up postal prices. Doesnt make sense. Its a slowly sinking ship and to be honest I wont mind seeing it go for the following reason.

I know not all Carriers are mean or rude, but the one we had growing up was very rude and the guy we have now is extremely rude as well. They are doing nothing to help their case. The guy we had growing up we had to call the Management constantly as he drove over our sewage pipe in our yard multiple times, rather than just backing up and turning around of which there was ample room to do in the drive way. He also repeatedly never knocked on our door or even bothered to come up our drive way when there was a package, he would just leave a pink slip in the mail box and drive off. Then there was the times where part of a box would fit into the mail box, so he would stick it in the mail box and leave the door down and the box hanging out, there for what ever rain came down and open to whoever drove by and decided they would like to steal it.

Now that we live in an Apt. Complex, we prefer them to knock and leave a pink slip if no one answers, our guy now knocks, doesnt bother to wait for us to answer and is already halfway down the stairs when we answer the door. He leaves packages sitting in the hallway for everyone unless they have to be signed for. I called and spoke to the Post Master and was told 'Theres not much I can do about it other than leave a note.' BULLSHIT! You can tell him to do his job right and enforce it.

I cringe every time someone says they are sending something to me through the USPS just because of the crappy carriers we have. I prefer Fedex or UPS because I know that through them I will get and give professional and courteous service. Their prices are about the same as the USPS, but the main thing is their work ethic and integrity to doing their jobs the way their supposed to. When no one answers the door for UPS or Fedex, they dutifully take it down to the Apt. Office. Not just plunk it at the door and assume it will be ok.
[/rant]

Edit: Yes I know not all UPS or Fedex carriers are nice, however in my experience the guy and lady I had growing up and the gent we have now are all very professional and courteous.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak,

Being an ex-carrier, I see two sides.

On the agreement side....

I fully agree there are crappy letter carriers. I had the guy who delivered mail to my own house misdeliver my mail daily. I asked him to just hand the mail to me (he worked RIGHT next to me at my own workplace), to which he replied "It's not your mail until I put it in your box." Although I felt just a teeny bit bad, for he had limited English skills, I replied "It isn't my mail when it goes IN my box!" As in any business, there are employees that perform their job poorly. The post office position is an incredibly difficult job to lose, due in part to a pretty strong union (pat myself on the back just a little.) I had another postal carrier (when I was living at another address) throw my tax refund check on the ground instead of placing the check in the mailbox. I also had an issue with this carrier because he COMPLETELY disregarded my forwarding order when i moved, causing a few issues. When I spoke to that town's postmaster, he responded "Oh, that's just Tony." Phhht! Bad on both the carrier and management's end.

On the disagreement side....

I disagree with you on the fact that your carrier's behavior and performance is poor. The reason your post office sates there is nothing they can do is the fact that this is what postal carriers are instructed to do by MANAGEMENT. Years ago, carrying mail was considered a SERVICE industry where letter carriers were given some time to interact with customers. At least where I carried, that trend has diminished completely. The post office has turned from a service industry to completely a DELIVERY industry. In most cases, carriers are given little to no time to interact with customers or perform any extra service. Inspectors deduct time from carriers who speak to customers on their route during inspection. Yes, mail volume (especially first class mail) has decreased significantly over the pat ten years. Gas prices have gone up, etc. But that goes for many businesses over the past few years. I agree there are cruddy carriers out there. In my humble opinion, in most cases the carriers are just doing as they are told.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So Dave, you honestly think the Post Master is telling them to leave packages in an Apt. breezeway where anyone who feels like it can walk past and steal them? Rather than filling out a pink slip? I assume the PO guys had pink slips because they were issued to them to fill out when someone doesnt answer the door (Hence the 'Sorry we missed you' printed on said pink slip). Just seems strange to me that the Post Master wouldnt be able to tell his couriers to take the 2 minutes to fill out the pink slip.

In fact I know its a case of the 'crappy courier' because Ive been in the PO before and other people have had pink slips NOT requiring signatures. Their couriers do it, which makes me wonder why cant mine?

I would agree with you about them changing from a service industry to a delivery. Thats why as I said, they are a slowly sinking ship, because Id rather pay for service then pay less for something and get crappy service.

I dont support the USPS anymore than I have to, people can make all kinds of excuses for them but they need to change their business model if they want to get the group of people back that prefer to have professional and courteous service. I truly hope the next time we move we get a great courier and I'll be able to change my opinion on the matter .
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
So Dave, you honestly think the Post Master is telling them to leave packages in an Apt. breezeway where anyone who feels like it can walk past and steal them? Rather than filling out a pink slip? I assume the PO guys had pink slips because they were issued to them to fill out when someone doesnt answer the door (Hence the 'Sorry we missed you' printed on said pink slip). Just seems strange to me that the Post Master wouldnt be able to tell his couriers to take the 2 minutes to fill out the pink slip.

In fact I know its a case of the 'crappy courier' because Ive been in the PO before and other people have had pink slips NOT requiring signatures. Their couriers do it, which makes me wonder why cant mine?

I would agree with you about them changing from a service industry to a delivery. Thats why as I said, they are a slowly sinking ship, because Id rather pay for service then pay less for something and get crappy service.

I dont support the USPS anymore than I have to, people can make all kinds of excuses for them but they need to change their business model if they want to get the group of people back that prefer to have professional and courteous service. I truly hope the next time we move we get a great courier and I'll be able to change my opinion on the matter .


Well,

Yes. That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. Postmasters don't generally talk to the letter carriers. The supervisors do. I'm not suggesting management tells the carriers to do this act DIRECTLY, but here is what carriers are told: we are adding this many stops to your route. Your windows of operations have been narrowed...instead of getting back by 5:30, you must get back by 5:00. (If we start doing so, then it's 4:45.) GET IT DONE, and CUT CORNERS if you have to.

At some point, if that involves leaving a parcel at your doorstep, yeah carriers will do so. Some carriers have been known to sign names on the pink slip themselves just to get a record. Those "pink slips" (I can't remember the form number, for it's been a while) get destroyed after 10 days...they are SUPPOSED to be scanned into the computer, but of course some don't.

As a carrier, I DIDN'T cut corners, and I received CONSTANT grief for it, and had supervisors order workers to stuff my case with mail daily, making my route not only long but heavy. Carriers looked at me like I was nuts because I didn't cut corners, and supervisors yelled because I came back "late". I transferred to a much less visible craft in the post office.

To answer your question, I hate the system much more than I hate the workers at the bottom. I do blame carriers for not fighting the system harder, but there is just so much fight in them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.