MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So lemme get this straight: France handballs its way into the Cup and then gets probably the easiest route to the semis possible? No, wait, they didn't get quite the easiest route, because that had to go to Italy.

World Cup Draw MAJOR FAIL.

(My pick for "most interesting group" is E. The Netherlands aren't nearly so strong as they were at last Cup, Japan's gotten better, Denmark's always been a solid team and Cameroon's much better than they were in the early 90s.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
England should be celebrating: They managed to get into group A, and won't meet Spain, Brazil, Italy or the Netherlands, all extremely scary opponents, before the finals.

Meanwhile, Spain gets a weak group, but then chances are that we will not see the the Brazilians than the world deserves to see: Unless one of the two teams manages to get second in the group, any meeting will have to wait for the semis. And who is going to be in between? First, Spain will have to beat Portugal/Ivory coast. And then, the winner of group F, the dreaded Italy.

Nothing prepares a man for the awful, awful thing that is a Spain-Italy. Unstoppable force vs Immovable object. Two teams with completely opposite ways to see the game. And, more often than not, a 0-0 tie played 90% in Italy's side, that ends in penalty kicks: Casillas vs Buffon.

Can't the Italians be on the other side of the charts for once?shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
England should be celebrating: They managed to get into group A, and won't meet Spain, Brazil, Italy or the Netherlands, all extremely scary opponents, before the finals.

I'm sorry, but you seem to be using "England" and "the finals" in the same sentence. Perhaps you meant a different team?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
hibikir wrote:

I'm sorry, but you seem to be using "England" and "the finals" in the same sentence. Perhaps you meant a different team?

They'd not get even close to them if they were playing Brazil or Italy earlier, but they have as big a chance as they are ever going to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
(My pick for "most interesting group" is E. The Netherlands aren't nearly so strong as they were at last Cup, Japan's gotten better, Denmark's always been a solid team and Cameroon's much better than they were in the early 90s.)

You really think the Netherlands are weaker in this cup? I will certainly grant you that they had the easist qualifying draw out of Europe - and their FIFA ranking of 3 is a bit flaky. Their next generations of players are coming on board and look to contribute across the board. The only position I think they have gotten weaker at is Goal keeper - looking Van der Saar is a blow.

I think that the Dutch go through along with Cameroon (who are a fairly middling Afrika team - unlike the 90s) or Denmark (not flashy, but solid).

I think that G is where it gets intersting ignoring North Korea who are a free three points - one of these Three teams WON'T make it to the final 16 Brasil, Ivory Coast or Portugal. That is Brutal!!!

Oh, and here is hoping for the spirit fo 50 USA 1 - England 0!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lebanon
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
But England always has a very strong team on paper, and like Argentina they never fail... to disappoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
You really think the Netherlands are weaker in this cup? I will certainly grant you that they had the easist qualifying draw out of Europe - and their FIFA ranking of 3 is a bit flaky. Their next generations of players are coming on board and look to contribute across the board. The only position I think they have gotten weaker at is Goal keeper - looking Van der Saar is a blow.

I think they'll go through, but if there's one team (other than England) with a track record of choking at the Cup, of finding ways to lose games that in theory they should never lose, it's the Netherlands. Tons of talented players - about as much team unity as a cattle stampede.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
So lemme get this straight: France handballs its way into the Cup and then gets probably the easiest route to the semis possible? No, wait, they didn't get quite the easiest route, because that had to go to Italy.

World Cup Draw MAJOR FAIL.

Don't talk ill of France Soccer Team !
After all we managed to win against Feroe Islands !

Naw, French Team ubersucks (and it's a shame we go the World Cup) BUT French Team is lucky !

Now, we, supporters of the French team can rejoice for this 'easy draw', and wait for our three losses next summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strecker
United States
Murrieta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd welcome any comments, ranking help or suggestions over in this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4319921#4319921

We're making a homebrew 2010 tourney board for the World Cup Game and could use some football opinions and advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.