Camden» Forums » Variants

Subject: Two-player variant for Agora rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Fayers
United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
flag msg tools
Having played - and enjoyed - Agora with our regular gaming circle (4 players), my wife and I tried it with just ourselves, and after a few games it became apparent there is a major drawback. Whichever player gets lucky in the first few cards can soon get into an unassailable position, with several small shops around the outside, impervious to any adverse events. It got so that, even if the opponent was allowed to select which card they drew, they could not prevail.

So we invented another type of event, "Taxation". If this is triggered, the Government imposes a Supertax on the highest earner (whoever would get the most income in the event of a Fiesta), who must pay 2 coins per shop they own.

The event is triggered by the "Flood" event cards with letters C and D. (Easy to remember - think of the water droplet as a tear - who doesn't want to cry when paying taxes?).

• When setting up, as well as assigning the letters A and B to the players, also assign C and D, one to each players.
• Taxation (a Flood events with letter C or D) is triggered if drawn by the player with the same letter. Thus the probability of an event occurring with each draw rises from one in four to one in three.
• In this case, the player with the highest income must pay two coins per shop to the bank.
• Fiesta and Fire cards with letters C and D are null - they can never be activated.

Try it and let me know what you think.

Footnote 1
If you like you can regard this new event as "Shakedown" - the highest earner is visited by The Mob and invited to pay Protection money. The same rules apply.

Footnote 2
This variant can also be used with 3 players. All cards with letter D are potential Taxation events. Fiesta cards are triggered by being drawn by player A, Fire cards are triggered by player B, and Flood cards by player C. Again the probability of an event occurring rises to one in three. Caveat: This version has not been tested, at least by me.

(After a pantomime character I played once. I wanted the name "baggins" - Born-Again Gamer Getting Into New Stuff - but it had already been allocated.).

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.