Subject: IMPORTANT Message regarding buying HeroClix lots on E-bay!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eirik Sandaas
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MANY of the lots who are put up on E-bay is pure rip offs.

Why you ask? Because many seem to think that for the old REV-sets
Rookies=common
Experienced=uncommon
Veteran=rare
Unique=super rare.

This is wrong, and I believe most sellers of multiple lots know this.

In most of the old sets, either rookies and experienced had the same rarity: (both being common or uncommon.) Veterans was either uncommon or rare. (If the R and E was common, the V was uncommon, if the R and E was uncommon, the V was rare.) In some other sets rookies was common and experienced and veterans was uncommon for most sets. Uniques could be as rare as veterans in some sets, and twice as rare as other.

Your best bet is to ask for a COMPLETE list of what is in the lot, and check the rarity, and PLAYABILITY on HCrealms. I have seen lots go for 20$ where I easily could fulfill the description of the lot with figures worth less than 3$...

And for the love of god, do not buy FEATs or BFCs unless you are mad as a hatter and need a complete set... For all intents and purposes those elements are now FREE. Print-n-Play baby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never bothered with lots on ebay. Nor boosters nor bricks nor cases. Just too much chance of getting ripped.

I only tend to go for figure singles. Like a surgical strike, quickly in and quickly out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Sandaas
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never bothered with buying anything on e-bay, I trade for whatever I want, as I'm no completist. But with the new revival og the game, many new players have arrived, and I think it is important to give some advice!:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Marauder2001 wrote:
Never bothered with buying anything on e-bay, I trade for whatever I want, as I'm no completist. But with the new revival og the game, many new players have arrived, and I think it is important to give some advice!

Indeed, while I haven't played yet, I have some of the Batman Alpha and the Danger Room set and I was looking into getting some of the new stuff now that NECA took over. I honestly didn't know much about the older stuff, but I need to, since I would rather play this one casually/thematically rather than competitively, so getting older guys for hero teams would be something I'm interested.

Thanks for the post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenda Thorpe
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sets from Infinity challenge up to Icons used the same 6 tier rank of rarity:

1: common rookie
2: common experienced, uncommon rookie
3: common veteran, uncommon experienced, rare rookie
4: uncommon veteran, rare experienced
5: rare veteran
6: unique

other than infinity challenge, hypertime (those 2 were larger sets), fantastic forces (this set had a slot that was always a giant or double based having its own rarity scheme(which i believe had them all equally rare)) and icons (this was a smaller set) the commons were figures #1-30, uncommons were figures #31-60, and rares were 61-84. uniques were #85-96. the ratios were pretty much the same for the smaller and larger sets. as a very casual collector and player during that time im not 100% certain on statistics/booster breakdowns but i believe the 4 slots were (1-3)(2-4)(3-5)(4-6)

starting with armor wars, WK changed the frequencies without changing the rankings. the commonc were still 1-30, uncommons 31-60, rares 61-84 and uniques 85-96 but uniques were now much easier to come by where experienced and vet rares were much harder and consequently generally more valuable. in previous sets a unique was found 1 in every 6 boosters, now it was 1 in every 3. A booster would have 2 commons, 1 experienced and 1 rare or unique. it was blind luck whether you pulled rookies, experienced or vets, amking some boosters very good and some very bad.

starting with avengers (and continuing through current) figure distribution/rarities became a little easier to understand for the new player. they dropped the previous model altogether (although retaining the unique ring to denote figures that cannot be played in multiple, and keeping R,E,V ranking on character cards to denote the point in time of the characters career) and bases now sported a rarity ranking.

a booster now will have: 2 commons, 1 uncommon, 1 rare, and one variable slot that can be a common, uncommon or super rare. all CURSR boosters will always have 1 rare fig and 1 in 3 will have a super rare fig. commons are #1-16 and marked with a white set symbol, uncommons are #17-32 and marked with a green set symbol, rares are #33-48 and marked with a silver set symbol, super rares are #49-60 and marked with a gold set symbol.

of course this doesnt touch on card elements (feats, Battlefield conditions, bystanders, special objects, event dials) these started with mutant mayhem (feats, battlefield conditions, bystanders) then adding special objects with collateral damage, and event dials with monsters and mutations.

card elements were always 1 per booster and always evenly rare with other card elements in the same set. with the addition of event dials the sheer quantity of card elements per set generally became larger than rares with the same fixed appearance of 1 per booster making specific card elements rare than the rare figs. adding in the general increased value of feats over most other card elements and they became rather pricey in comparison...of course, now with print and play they have lost a good bit of value...i still recommend getting the original cardboard if it can be had for cheap (which it should) as its mroe durable and easier than printing and cutting

okay so that was lengthier and more in depth than i had originally planned...but what the hey...honestly if your looking to buy older stuff, keep an eye on ebay for the figs you want. if you're just getting started, some of those lots arent all that bad of a deal, if you can get em for cheap and theres at least a few figs in there you want. at the very least you can use the extras for modding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rick procure
Canada
flag msg tools
im getting my first starter ste tomorow (friday) and am trying to understand all of this, but till i own a couple of sets and know what to lookfor im probly going to get ripped off a couple of times. i was told that ebay was the way to go for cheap stuff, is the marketplace threw this website safe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.