25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: Attention GW Revenge Raters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Invasion LCG is a Fantasy Flight Game, please stop destroying its rating too.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If people are taking an action as a form of "protest" against a company, then they should at least be protesting THAT company.

What we see here is kind of like a group of idiots protesting against American involvement in Iraq by throwing rocks at the Mexican embassy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan Robertson wrote:
Ratings are a joke and mean nothing anybody who buys a product based on these ratings is a joke as well.

If you believe your own words, then why did you take the time to rate PR a 1 and Agricola a 10 with the comment "Hate to do this but the constant threads from the shills who do nothing but bother with who is #1 is a crock."?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
But money does get funneled back to GW through licensing fees. So FFG is partially involved in this fan dispute.

It's like if Walmart stocked a product that was made by slaves so people stopped supporting Walmart until they stopped selling it.

I'm not on the "burn FFG" bandwangon since they treat their fans with more respect but certainly alittle pissed at GW over the whole thing. I currently own 1 GW licensed FFG game and certainly will consider more carefully any purchases involving their licenses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I currently own 1 GW licensed FFG game and certainly will consider more carefully any purchases involving their licenses.

What, because suddenly GW licensed products aren't as good as they used to be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually more upset with FFG over the cancellation of the Warhammer 2nd edition so they can trot out the 3rd edition which is essentially disguising role-playing as a simplified board game so that they can keep their revenue streams flowing angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
ScottE wrote:
It's like if Walmart stocked a product that was made by slaves so people stopped supporting Walmart until they stopped selling it.

No it's not like that, because GW doesn't hold slaves. The "thing" they did doesn't even compare in the slightest to slavery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fishy
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SleightOfHand wrote:
ScottE wrote:
I currently own 1 GW licensed FFG game and certainly will consider more carefully any purchases involving their licenses.

Ok, i'll give you the benefit of doubt. Call me naive or whatever but here i go. So this isn't a flame bait but a serious question. Which means you really don't understand why some people around here intend to buy less (or no more) GW-licensed game.

It's on the lines of 'ethical buying'. One product, in any category, might be better than another. Yet, its production, marketing or distribution might be done according to principles that one considers unfair or unethical. One will then consciously choose to not get the better product, but the best one can get that fulfills whatever ethics one adheres to.

You can argue all you want with said ethics, or even find it completely stupid to not buy the best product no matter what, but that thing happens all the time for every item sold in the world. If you're curious about the phenomenon, you might want to google (or use wikipedia) for 'fair trade', which as of today is one of the most popular examples. Fair trade coffee for example used to be more expensive. These days, it's often on par. At no point was it better than other ranges, yet many people buy it, just because it gives them a tiny moral satisfaction, the idea of supporting a slightly fairer industry.

What happens here is close to that phenomenon. GW games may be the best in some categories, yet some players will accept to play inferior games so as not to have the feeling of encouraging business practices they find unfair.

I hope this helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan Robertson wrote:

It is not a sports team, it is not hooligan behavior. It's a damm game.

The sales are terrible and nobody is buying it because of the economy. You make it like if it does not get more popular, your rent will go up.

I don't give a crap about how well the game sells, or how popular it is. I only play it with my wife. What annoys me is now the childish behavior has started to adversely impact Fantasy Flight Games. Unreleased expansions for this game have a crapload of uncommented low ratings, that spontaneously appeared after the GW incident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Chin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Affecting a small portion of FFG products is the point of the 1 ratings. By affecting FFG, the comsumer hopes to get FFG to lobby for and apply pressure on GW. If GW does not respond, do you think it would be such a negative thing to have FFG greatly limit all future joint ventures with GW. I don't care if Warhammer Invasion was recast as Middle Earth Invasion. Middle Earth Invasion would have been just as good as Warhammer invasion. I really don't think you care if FFG no longer worked on joint ventures with GW. It is a peaceful protest and a form of consumer activism. We all like FFG. None of us want them to fail but protesters want them to find other partners and not help the GW game and product line popularity. By working with GW the are complicite in their behavior. To use an extreme analogy it is like having a racist friend.

I think it is appropriate to dislike a whole product because of a dislike for some portion of the product. These people truly are passionate about the 1 rating for these games then the game deserves a one rating for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peg_gamer wrote:
All this over a bunch of crappy files that nobody needed? Please.

I think your ingratitude is lost in a cloud of stupidity...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
cafard83 wrote:
SleightOfHand wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Ok, i'll give you the benefit of doubt. Call me naive or whatever but here i go. So this isn't a flame bait but a serious question. Which means you really don't understand why some people around here intend to buy less (or no more) GW-licensed game.

It's on the lines of 'ethical buying'. One product, in any category, might be better than another. Yet, its production, marketing or distribution might be done according to principles that one considers unfair or unethical. One will then consciously choose to not get the better product, but the best one can get that fulfills whatever ethics one adheres to.

You can argue all you want with said ethics, or even find it completely stupid to not buy the best product no matter what, but that thing happens all the time for every item sold in the world. If you're curious about the phenomenon, you might want to google (or use wikipedia) for 'fair trade', which as of today is one of the most popular examples. Fair trade coffee for example used to be more expensive. These days, it's often on par. At no point was it better than other ranges, yet many people buy it, just because it gives them a tiny moral satisfaction, the idea of supporting a slightly fairer industry.

What happens here is close to that phenomenon. GW games may be the best in some categories, yet some players will accept to play inferior games so as not to have the feeling of encouraging business practices they find unfair.

I hope this helped.

The point that was lost on most users here is that BGG was the unethical company. It is forbidden by the law to host copyright protected material for commercial purposes (and BGG is a business). Further, the administration made no effort to communicate to the user base for several days and it's still common saying that "GW deleted user files". GW demanded four files to be removed (e.g. translations of army codices) and that all other files accord with their IP policy, which is in fact more permissive than copyright law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
senorcoo wrote:
I'm actually more upset with FFG over the cancellation of the Warhammer 2nd edition so they can trot out the 3rd edition which is essentially disguising role-playing as a simplified board game so that they can keep their revenue streams flowing angry

Have you played (or even seen) the FFG edition of WHFRP? I have not been a WFRP player in the past, but was interested enough to participate in a demo game - and will be joining an ongoing campaign next month.
While it does come in a box, it is not a boardgame, but clearly an RPG.

Think of it as DnD 4ed, with the DM's Guide, PH, character cards, and specialty dice all packaged together in a box set. With the qualification that it is in some ways far superior to DnD 4ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William W
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
joedogboy wrote:
If people are taking an action as a form of "protest" against a company, then they should at least be protesting THAT company.

What we see here is kind of like a group of idiots protesting against American involvement in Iraq by throwing rocks at the Mexican embassy.

We also see the opposing group whining about how their favorite game's rating isn't accurate anymore. Everything about the matter is subjective and individual. At the end of the day, who cares how a game is rated? There is no truly set standard that ensures consistency amongst ratings and while the averaging can help eliminate outliers and errata, one person's 9 is another's 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peg_gamer wrote:
What exactly should I be grateful for?

The Games Workshop Files Purge of '09

Have you seen this geeklist? If so, how can you still say that? Anyways to each their own...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peg_gamer wrote:
Old Blue wrote:
peg_gamer wrote:
What exactly should I be grateful for?

The Games Workshop Files Purge of '09

Have you seen this geeklist? If so, how can you still say that? Anyways to each their own...

Sure I've seen it. Maybe I'm not dumb enough to need a player aid for a game I have the instructions for...

If I start and run a game publishing company one day I hope to God I am still allowed to protect my investment without a tirade from overentitled non-customers.

Sure you are, and we're allowed to burn you in effigy for your draconian and idiotic sales tactics at that time.

All good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peg_gamer wrote:
Exactly which one of GW's actions was a "sales tactic"?

Exactly - now you're thinking right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Complaint Dept.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
Warhammer Invasion LCG is a Fantasy Flight Game, please stop destroying its rating too.

Thanks.

I agree. I really think the mods should have jumped on this sort of thing. The GW rating hating is annoying enough, but now they're going after other companies's games too. Things have gone a little overboard around here methinks.

jdludlow wrote:
Nathan Robertson wrote:
Ratings are a joke and mean nothing anybody who buys a product based on these ratings is a joke as well.

If you believe your own words, then why did you take the time to rate PR a 1 and Agricola a 10 with the comment "Hate to do this but the constant threads from the shills who do nothing but bother with who is #1 is a crock."?

He's also rated Commands & Colors: Napoleonics a "10", which looks like it hasn't even been released yet. Perhaps he has ESP? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
The point that was lost on most users here is that BGG was the unethical company.

Yes, they definitely should not have been selling complete, counterfeit copies of Games Workshop products, thus causing Games Workshop to suffer a loss of income.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ciohiro wrote:
Affecting a small portion of FFG products is the point of the 1 ratings. By affecting FFG, the comsumer hopes to get FFG to lobby for and apply pressure on GW. If GW does not respond, do you think it would be such a negative thing to have FFG greatly limit all future joint ventures with GW. I don't care if Warhammer Invasion was recast as Middle Earth Invasion. Middle Earth Invasion would have been just as good as Warhammer invasion. I really don't think you care if FFG no longer worked on joint ventures with GW. It is a peaceful protest and a form of consumer activism. We all like FFG. None of us want them to fail but protesters want them to find other partners and not help the GW game and product line popularity. By working with GW the are complicite in their behavior. To use an extreme analogy it is like having a racist friend.

I think it is appropriate to dislike a whole product because of a dislike for some portion of the product. These people truly are passionate about the 1 rating for these games then the game deserves a one rating for the game.

I like this idea. Let's start giving "1" ratings to EVERY game so as to encourage all the other publishers to lobby Games Workshop on BGG's behalf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Since GW is a European company, perhaps we need to rate all European style games a "1" to punish Europe for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joedogboy wrote:
Since GW is a European company, perhaps we need to rate all European style games a "1" to punish Europe for this.

Though I know you were joking, but my rating always takes into account things besides "just the play of the game". If the designer has been an a$$hole to me, it gets a "1". If the designer has been aloof or dismissive of me, game gets a "1.5". If the game was outrageously priced and/or misleading, like say selling a box of cards disguised as a"boardgame"?----"gets a "1" from me.
If a company "fixes prices", well, ALL their stuff gets an ace, BUT with an exception: Suppose a company put out some terrific games 20 or more years ago, like Red Star Falling or Sheridan's Ride. I don't punish these games with the "1" rule. Sins of the fathers are not to be visited upon the sons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:

Thanks.
Maybe the ratings ARE for Warhammer Invasion LCG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.