Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Carson-City-Question [+] [View All]
Jeff Clark
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played our first game of Carson City, and had a few questions come up that weren't directly answered in the rules (we think)...

1.) When you build a building that requires a house to be built, must that house be adjacent to the building that you have just built, or can it be placed anywhere, so long as there's a road?

2.) When you choose the personality that allows you to buy cowboys, must those cowboys be purchased immediately after taking the personality card, or can they be purchased later in the round/turn?

3.) If you put a cowboy down on a parcel with the intent to buy a parcel of land, but then find that you cannot buy the parcel (perhaps for lack of funds) - can you leave the cowboy on that parcel and then buy the land the following round/turn?

4.) In the English translation - one gets money for the drugstore at the following rate: "$3 per neighboring house and per ranch owned by the player". Does this mean that the house also has to be owned by the player, or only that the ranch has to be owned by the player and the house might be owned by anyone?

5.) Same question for the bank - if the neighbouring houses are not yours, do you still get income for them?

6.) For the saloon - it doesn't specify that the neighbouring houses need to belong to you - so we assume that you would get money even if the houses belonged to someone else?

7.) On the mine tile - there is the ability to show up to 7 neighbouring mountains (because there's also an option to show '0' - what would happen if you did happen to be lucky enough to have 8 surrounding mountains?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
zzyzxuk wrote:
1.) When you build a building that requires a house to be built, must that house be adjacent to the building that you have just built, or can it be placed anywhere, so long as there's a road?

It can be placed anywhere, as long as it's reached by a road, which you may play at that time.

zzyzxuk wrote:
2.) When you choose the personality that allows you to buy cowboys, must those cowboys be purchased immediately after taking the personality card, or can they be purchased later in the round/turn?

You have to buy them at the time you pick the Captain, i.e. immediately after choosing the personality.

zzyzxuk wrote:
3.) If you put a cowboy down on a parcel with the intent to buy a parcel of land, but then find that you cannot buy the parcel (perhaps for lack of funds) - can you leave the cowboy on that parcel and then buy the land the following round/turn?

Nope, you can skip the action, but the cowboy goes back to the general reserve.

zzyzxuk wrote:
4.) In the English translation - one gets money for the drugstore at the following rate: "$3 per neighboring house and per ranch owned by the player". Does this mean that the house also has to be owned by the player, or only that the ranch has to be owned by the player and the house might be owned by anyone?

You get $3 per adjacent house, that is either owned by you or ownerless (you never get income for another player's houses, or mountains. The ranches can be anywhere on the board, but must be owned by you to count towards the drugstore's income.

zzyzxuk wrote:
5.) Same question for the bank - if the neighbouring houses are not yours, do you still get income for them?

No, unless they're ownerless. This is covered in the rules btw.

zzyzxuk wrote:
6.) For the saloon - it doesn't specify that the neighbouring houses need to belong to you - so we assume that you would get money even if the houses belonged to someone else?

Not true, they have to belong to the player that owns the saloon or not have an owner at all.

zzyzxuk wrote:
7.) On the mine tile - there is the ability to show up to 7 neighbouring mountains (because there's also an option to show '0' - what would happen if you did happen to be lucky enough to have 8 surrounding mountains?

Put $3 on the mine to remember that it pays an additional $3. At Spiel '09 they told us that the income limits aren't hard limits. Edit: Corrected by the designer later in this post

Although getting a mine to be surrounded by 8 mountains requires an awful lot of luck.

Hope that helps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
HauRuck wrote:
I agree with all the other answers but on this one I'd say since there are only 9 mountains in the game, you should probably play that if you should end up with that one in a million setup that puts a single parcel surrounded by 8 mountains... That you wipe the board and simply roll a new more randomized mountain placement. It really wouldn't be that fair otherwise.

I agree with this as well. Just reroll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Yokiboy wrote:
Put $3 on the mine to remember that it pays an additional $3. At Spiel '09 they told us that the income limits aren't hard limits.
That is inconsistent with another post located HERE that was not corrected by anyone. They say:

rivaro wrote:
There is a maximum revenue for each building. Don't forget houses owned by others don't count in your revenue.

Although I agree that it would be very unusual for the mines, I have seen other buildings max out (drugstores & banks mostly) and we played with a max revenue limit as printed on the tile.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Georges
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The highest income indication on your building shows its maximum income. So, you can get a maximum of $35 from a saloon. It’s a lack from the English rules and it will be corrected for the next print.

However, it’s not a problem if you play without taking this limit into account. It’s just a little bit more difficult to count you total income. Normally, this change will not modify all your strategy... even in a two or three players game, where it’s easier to higher this limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Goodson
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zzyzxuk wrote:
Just played our first game of Carson City, and had a few questions come up that weren't directly answered in the rules (we think)...

I just had questions #1 and #7 (for drugstores/banks/saloons) come up. Thanks very much to everyone for the answers!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.