Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happily participating in Secret Santa this year, and I was able to attend (one day of) Spiel 2009. And it got me to thinking: if I'd known my secret santa's wishlist, I could've picked up a lot more stuff at Spiel than I can get in a local or online store. And for a lower price, meaning I could my target more gifts.

Of course I could buy some gifts at random, and hope it'll be something my target likes.. but what are the odds of that happening?

So my question is:

Could we assign Secret Santa targets before Spiel/Essen?

What would be arguments against moving up the date?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
To play devils argument. How would we know what Essen releases we would be interested in till after Essen? I know there is often information leaked ahead of time, however it is often that first official public look that gives the most info.

I'm not saying it is a bad idea, just something to consider. It would definitely give more shipping time to people with international targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyckyd wrote:
So my question is:

I thought about the same thing as you, I could have gotten a lot of cheap games for Secret Santa at Essen if I knew his wishlist then.

But on the other hand this has some serious drawbacks: If the time between getting your target assigned and christmas gets too long, it gets more difficult to avoid double purchases because it also means you are a target from that same moment on .

Now imagine this: If you were in Essen buying cheap games for your target, you will have to consider that your Secret Santa might do the same. So your wishlist gets "blocked" for quite some time. Worse: If you will find one of your own wishlist-games dead-cheap in Essen and you want to buy it, your Secret Santa might already have bought it for you. And in the worst case, he might even have payed more for it.

So I am not decided if it was really a good idea to get the targets assigned any earlier than it is done now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
Those who know do not speak.
badge
Those who speak do not know.
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfzell wrote:
Wyckyd wrote:
So my question is:

I thought about the same thing as you, I could have gotten a lot of cheap games for Secret Santa at Essen if I knew his wishlist then.

But on the other hand this has some serious drawbacks: If the time between getting your target assigned and christmas gets too long, it gets more difficult to avoid double purchases because it also means you are a target from that same moment on .

Now imagine this: If you were in Essen buying cheap games for your target, you will have to consider that your Secret Santa might do the same. So your wishlist gets "blocked" for quite some time. Worse: If you will find one of your own wishlist-games dead-cheap in Essen and you want to buy it, your Secret Santa might already have bought it for you. And in the worst case, he might even have payed more for it.

So I am not decided if it was really a good idea to get the targets assigned any earlier than it is done now.

Exactly. That's my problem with it also. As soon as you are a target you basically have to freeze your purchases, not something I am keen on before Spiel 2010 devil

I understand the OP, as of course it would be awesome to have your target's wishlist at Essen, but I don't think the flipside of a three-month board-game abstinence spell equates with the aforementioned awesomeness.

My approach this year will be to use Spiel 2010 to buy a heap of little random things, and to pickup extra copies of the exclusive stuff such as the signed L-Deck cards and the Power Grid expansion from 09. That way I will be able to have a heap of extra things for my target that an online retailer could never stock, and also buy them a big box game or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there already a sign up thread for Secret Santa 2010?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April VanGelderen
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the War Game Secret Santa there is. When the sign up begins it will show up on the BGG Newsthread goo I can't wait until it does!!!! (Been saving up all year for it! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
wellspokenman wrote:
My approach this year will be to use Spiel 2010 to buy a heap of little random things... and the Power Grid expansion from 09. That way I will be able to have a heap of extra things for my target that an online retailer could never stock, and also buy them a big box game or two.

Well, I might not be your target, but pick me up a copy of the Power Grid promo Umspannwerk while your at it please! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.