Popular Tags: [View All]
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to need something else to write. Now I have several ideas.

1. Finish an urban fantasy piece that I started.
2. Write the most brill vampire novel ever
3. Finish developing the world for a intrigue ninja assassin (nothing like the movie) series that I am writing
4. Write my beauty and the beast / frog price Alchemist Story
5. Expand my short called the night the moon came down
6. Knock out some of the novellas that I have started/outlined that aren't novel length but might make a good Toggy short story collection collection.

Opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could write... I have a good idea for a short story.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, this could be a poll.

I would vote for ideas 1, 5 and 6. They seem to have the most potential to expand your talent into un-mined areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about some erotic literature? You could dip your foot into that ocean and see where it gets ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Nascar ** IS ** a sport.

...woah...

deja vu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:

this genre is too over exposed i think, i'm not saying yours wouldn't be brill and eclipse the others, but unless it is just burning in your soul and you have all these other options...

Quote:
6. Knock out some of the novellas that I have started/outlined that aren't novel length but might make a good Toggy short story collection collection.

yes!! as an added benefit the shorts could also be picked up by other anthologies to give you greater exposure. you could also sell one to one of the podcast fiction outlets like escapepod, psudopod, podcastle, or the drabblecast (depending upon the genre). exposure is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think you should do the vampire novel. But only because I know what the twist is. And if you don't write it before you graduate, it won't get written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

I think you should do the vampire novel. But only because I know what the twist is. And if you don't write it before you graduate, it won't get written.

it really is a brilliant idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
amwiles wrote:

It's decided, then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Toggy wrote:
amwiles wrote:

It's decided, then!

But I dont write urban fantasy. Not usually. This could be a challenge.

I should work on a cover letter, and final spellcheck on the book to submit that. Since I have oh so much time to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this sounds stupid, but I think it was Isaac Asimov that said that as long as you write something often (he said everyday, but I'm being a little more realistic) it's perfectly o.k. to work on a hundred different things at once.

Why pick one? Start on something, and write until your muse flits away... then put it in a file until it strikes a chord in your mind, some midnight, to bring it back out and make some more progress.

I say: as long as you're making progress in that way, it doesn't matter if it's all in the same vein or not.

Isn't having 10 projects 5% of the way to completion, and always feeling fresh about what you're writing, just as good as having one at 50% that you're having to force yourself even to look at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Can't you just do them all?

* this is what I get asked all the time at work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still waiting to hear about your erotica?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7. Get an agent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Number 4!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 - the money may not be as good, but getting a short story published seems to be less of a task than an getting a novel picked up, and getting published is a hell of a short cut to an agent . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some friends who are in a local scifi writers group. (well, they're friends of my girlfriend and I've met them all is more accurate). Anyway, they're all published, although the 'youngest' doesn't have any scifi novels published yet. From what I can tell, they all started by getting short stories published in anthologies first before novel length material was considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
6 - the money may not be as good, but getting a short story published seems to be less of a task than an getting a novel picked up, and getting published is a hell of a short cut to an agent . . .

Problem with that being all my shorts end up a lot closer to 24-30K and not the 15K that a lot of short anthologies like. It is next to impossible for me to write less than that.

:sigh:

One of these days I will be published. I just hope its not only in an academic setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
It is next to impossible for me to write less than that.

Toggy wrote:
This could be a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
nycavri wrote:

Problem with that being all my shorts end up a lot closer to 24-30K and not the 15K that a lot of short anthologies like. It is next to impossible for me to write less than that.

:sigh:

One of these days I will be published. I just hope its not only in an academic setting.

I think that is exactly why it increases your chances at later publication. Its DIFFICULT to write a good story in that short number of words. Breathing life into a story with those limitations, it takes considerable talent. Anyway, if your goal is to develop a successful writing career and move towards publication, I think working on that skill is probably where effort is best spent. From my limited experience with authors who have navigated from anonymity to at least "published" status, they all traversed that gauntlet. (Well, there is the one who has published religious romance novels under a different pen name....but I don't advocate that route.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just crossed the 300K mark with my epic. YAY! I have about 5 'chapters' left, which will be another 50K. And that is before I add things in edits. The story evolved in such a way that I need to add a lot of back story for things. So I am thinking finished work, when all is said and done, is 400K. Which is 3-4 books depending how its marketed. Given that is is a 'coming of age' story in many ways, it could go YA fantasy, but given some of the content and themes it could go adult as well. MY style is more YA though.

As a comparison, just FYI Curse of the Dragon King's Blood (yes, I know it needs a better title) was only 107K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Stare into my eyes and feel the irresistible urge to check out my profile overpowering you...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
BTW, this could be a poll.

Here you go.

Poll
What should Tiffany write next?
Finish an urban fantasy piece that she started.
Write the most brilliant vampire novel ever
Finish developing the world for a intrigue ninja assassin series
Write her beauty and the beast / frog price Alchemist Story
Expand her short called the night the moon came down
Knock out some of the novellas that she started
      7 answers
Poll created by Fortune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:

Please. no. You will become only one of the crowd now. Let the Twilight phenomenon die.

Quote:
1. Finish an urban fantasy piece that I started.

What kind of fantasy? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Finish an urban fantasy piece that she started.
Write the most brilliant vampire novel ever
Finish developing the world for a intrigue ninja assassin series
Write her beauty and the beast / frog price Alchemist Story
Expand her short called the night the moon came down
Knock out some of the novellas that she started

Why not write an urban fantasy vampire ninja assassin Alchemist moon-comes-down story?

In 15k please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:

Seems to me you could write 24-30K and edit down to 15/16-ish. No?

Many times a whole phrase can be pared down into just a word for someone of your obviously excellent vocabulary.

The net result would be to tighten up your story to 'what absolutely has to be in it.

Often, when I give a 5-minute discourse, that's how I get down to 5 min after writing 12-15 min. of material (I can't help myself either).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.