Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's getting pretty close to THAT DAY, and I've got off to a late start trying to find a good military history book for my father-in-law.

I'm looking for recommendations of military history or history books published this year. Please also tell me why you think your recommendation is a good book.

He's interested in WWII, Korean War, British Empire stuff, Cold War.

Much obliged, H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve E.
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it was published this year, but I recently enjoyed Norman Davies' No Simple Victory. It's a survey of WWII with a focus on the Eastern Front and the civilian experiences of the European theater. Very "readable".

I haven't read it and it's not one of your listed conflicts , but it was published this year- Peter Wilson's The Thirty-Years War looks great.

Edit: And also- congratulations to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick O'Halloran
United States
Asbury Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Bubba
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently reading and enjoying Bismark:The Final Days of Germany's Greatest Battleship by Zetterling and Tamelander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished "The Hobbit" and am in "Book Two", (not "Two Towers" but "Book 2" in "The Fellowship"). I think it is a pretty good tale. My LotR book is a leather-bound all-in-one book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bay of Pigs by Howard Jones came out this year (or last). I found it to be informative and well written.

It wasn't published this year, but there is a three volume set of naval warfare called Power at Sea that covers naval military history from 1890-2006. I've read the first two volumes and both we really good. The first one covers 1890-1918, the second 1919-1946 and the last one the Cold War Era(that one is on my to read list )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
ToddK wrote:
"Absolute War" by Chris Bellamy.

Excellent book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Borg
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patricko wrote:
I'm currently reading and enjoying Bismark:The Final Days of Germany's Greatest Battleship by Zetterling and Tamelander.

Those are swedish authors! I have read several of their books and they are very good. Nice to see they are getting attention abroad as well.

Fredrik.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.