Arkham Horror: Innsmouth Horror Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Devil's Reef, The Vortex and A Servant of Glaaki rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
This morning a gate opened at Devil's Reef, a cultist appeared and immediately stepped into the vortex, causing a terror-level increase, which lead to Richard Pickman leaving town and a Servant of Glaaki emerging from the gate at Devil's Reef.

The Servant also has the crescent symbol, so I began the process of increasing the terror level and drawing an ally when it dawned on me that this is now an endless procedure.

Is there a ruling on this? Does the movement phase stop for the gate when the cultist leaves, leaving the Glaaki on the gate? Does the Glaaki, as a spawn monster, by-pass the vortex and move directly into Joe's Bus Service?

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am having trouble following all that happened.

It seems to me you are playing something wrong as I don't follow how you are getting a chain reaction here.

Mythos card is drawn and a gate opens at Devil's Reef and you spawn a monster, right? Then the movement symbol moves the Cultist into the Vortex. So he goes to the monster cup, the terror level is raised. A random Ally is dicarded and you lose Pickman. Because Glaakis is the GOO, you place a Servant.

First, you should have drawn a Mythos card to see what gate, not use the one just drawn. If you did draw, then shame on you for not shuffling well enough!

Second, once the Servant is placed, you do not move him until the next Mythos phase. So you should not have had a chain reaction that went on endlessly.

Third, a spawn monster that enters a vortex just goes back to wherever he came from.

Finally, there is no path between Devil's Reef to Sargent's bus stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Brian. That clears is up.

You followed everything that happened perfectly.

I did put The Servant directly onto the newly-opened gate, and I wasn't sure if the movement ended immediately. Since the cultist moved, which spawned The Servant, I assumed that the monster-movement phase continued.

If I do happen to draw another Devil Reef or Y'ha nthlei, I'll just
leave it there.

Let me double check your second last remark. Even if a spawn monster does
happen to enter a vortex, it will simply go back to its at-start
location?

I knew that there was no path, but I didn't know if there was a special ruling for spawn monsters. It's the other way around, in that it doesn't trigger the negatives and just stays there.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was trying to find something definitive on the Spawn monsters going to a vortex. I don't see anything in the FAQ.

The restrictions on them are just that they can't be collected as trophies, don't count against the limits, never go to the outskirts, and typically aren't defeated in "generic" ways. However, there is no mention of them with the vortices.

So I see that as one of two options.
1) they go through the vortex and back to whereever they came from (off board or on the GOO)
2) they just don't move into the vortex.

So I am not 100% certain what it is now that I typed it out. Play it how you think best and I'll keep looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.