1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best co-op game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R. H.
msg tools
Hello,

My family is getting together for the holidays, and we're looking for a new game. We've been risk (and its variants) players for a while, and want to try something new. I want to find a good co-op game -- that way we work together to figure it out. I've been looking at Arkham Horror and A Touch of Evil. Not necessarily for the theme, but because they look like good co-operative games. I tried searching the co-op section, but I was hoping someone with some experience in gaming could give us some good ideas.

Thanks a lot for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I like Pandemic a lot. It's got a relatively small ruleset and plays 2-4 players. You can play at three levels of difficulty. And there's an expansion that allows a 5th player other variants to be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic together with Pandemic on the Brink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories is very nice.

Pandemic isn't too bad either, it's simpler and more family-ish.

Though I love Space Alert, it's not really for the family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories is great but it plays up to 4 players. It's a bit puzzle like in that the game throws hard situations at you all the time and you have to figure the best way out, but as it is ever changing, you have to adapt quickly. Lord of the Rings is another good option and quite challenging at the beginning, then the expansions do an excellent job of adding more difficulty to the game. It plays up to 5.

Arkham Horror is excellent but it is a longer game (more than 2 hours). It's more about the experience and more an adventure game with RPG mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're into zombie games, Last Night on Earth is pretty fun too, although you'd need a player or 2 to play the zombies.

If you don't mind having co-ops with traitors, Battlestar Galactica could be quite fun, though a bit complex and long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch of Salem - it's "Arkham Light". Same great theme, shorter play time. And VERY unforgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories, Shadows over Camelot, or Pandemic are my recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Flood
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend Pandemic. Good co-op game with an interesting theme and is fun to play. The expansion is good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Lord of the Rings and Space Alert are the best coops. For families, I'd look at Pandemic or Shadows Over Camelot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Pandemic is the best co-op for people who aren't die hard gamers. People grasp the rules easily and the theme has the broadest appeal. I highly recommend it.

Lord of the Rings is also good but may not appeal to people who aren't already fans of Lord of the Rings.

Shadows over Camelot is also not bad but the medieval/fighting theme may not appeal to a general audience. It's also not technically a 100% co-op since one person is secretly a traitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic is popular both with my friends and middle school students at the teen center where I volunteer, so this has good family-play potential. Arkham Horror is an awesome game, but would be a little overwhelming for most of my family.

I've never played it, but Red November sounds fun as well (though the game characters can get drunk, so it may not be appropriate for any kids).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic, Shadows over Camelot, Pandemic.

All the three are fun to play and are great for families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur.... very fun and two sides (so not 100% co-op).

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my take on a lot of cooperative games is in this geeklist.

I agree on Pandemic being the best bet for non gamers. If you want something ambitious, go with Space Alert. Its an absolute blast to play, and its got a very gradual series of trainings to get people into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game is amazing. The rules are a bit hard to keep track of at first, but the gameplay has some very cool psychological depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Family
Pandemic Hands down the best game for the family. I think the base game is great and a great starting point. If you really like it get the expansion.

I like Ghost Stories but it is not as good of a family game IMHO.

I also really like Space Alert But it is the most complex game of the group in my opinion.

Personally I really can't see Arkham Horror going over as a "family game". It is really kind of putzy and unless the family is a group of gamers I don't think they will flock to it the way people tend to do with Pandemic.

Shadows Over Camelot would also be a solid choice for a family game.

Best of luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay away from Arkham Horror unless you think they'll sit for 6 hours to learn the game and then be ready to go 4 more to actually get a play in.

Castle Panic looks like one you'd have up and running with fun shortly after opening the box.

SATs/GMAT/taxes/etc. vs. Beer & pretzels

Also, I've had recent success with Quo Vadis? & Dixit as party games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to throw my support behind Castle Panic as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic - fast, easy to learn, easy to play...and not very exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played:

Arkham Horror is the most thematic and complicated. Not really suitable for family play unless you have a family of gamers. It is easily my favourite game, but it is more of a thematic experience than a brain burning puzzle.

Pandemic is easy to explain and play, has adjustable difficulty and a theme that everyone can relate to.

Ghost Stories is a bit like Pandemic but more difficult and a little harder to teach. It is not a complex game tough.

Lord of the Rings is unthematic and kind of boring. I can't recommend this one.

Red November is a hilarious coop game of gnomes on a submarine with everything going wrong. This one can support up to eight players, is cheap and kind of simple.

I have not played:

Castle Panic has reportedly been a success with families and non-gamers.

Witch of Salem is apparently not that thematic and has some weird secrecy rules.

A Touch of Evil has been said to be Arkham Horror lite, but is apparently still pretty much a gamers game.

Space Alert is apparently a bit of an odd ball. A lot of people swear it is really awesome though. Read some reviews, maybe it is what you're looking for.

My recommendations for you:

Get either Pandemic or Ghost Stories with Ghost Stories being my favourite of the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Tinkham
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to what other people have already mentioned, I'd add The Isle of Dr. Necreaux to the list as well! Pandemic and Ghost Stories have gotten the most play with the people I game with, Castle Panic made a good impression at the last game day, and I'm sure Dr. Necreaux will go over really well too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For gaming with family I'd have to agree with the people recommending Pandemic and Castle Panic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.