Subject: Some help please? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alex w
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m not very good at reading rules that well and understanding them without having to go play the game a few times.
These are some questions I have trouble with, hope the designer can help and enlighten all.

(1) The 6" gun at Palau Brani belongs to Blakang Mati or Kepple?

(2) The assault from Ubin could be made across the straits towards any north east sector that has a grey linking area to them respectively? (There is no axis of attack)

(3) What area is Tekong ‘First’ adjacent to? To start counting the strike distance.

(4) It was noted in an FAQ, that artillery could be used for Both Offensive and Defensive phase within the time period (page 28), per player turn. It was also noted that the Japanese goes first followed by Australians and ‘last’ by the British (Page 22). So an allied artillery could be used 3 times? (Since I have 3 players in the game, and everyone is going for their own victory condition.)

(5) Suppressed Defending units may withdraw. It was also noted (page 26), that defending units may withdraw voluntarily AND must withdraw together. So the defending units could just ‘declare complete withdrawal’ immediately when the combat phase begins? (after surviving all strikes, but before actual land combat?).....not a problem, but isn’t this a ‘cheating-way’ to waste enemy supplies? (some feels that its a neat trick/strategy.....others may think that this is one way to ‘get-around-things’)

(6) Can an ‘out of supply’ unit (surrounded) that wins a battle (in a continual contested area) in an enemy supply depot area, take ‘losing supply points?’ from his enemy and add to his own?

(7) During the allied turn, can engaged units in contested area ‘move out’ of that area, into adjacent friendly area? Into ANOTHER contested sector?(page 24)

(8) Similar to (7) above. Can I withdraw all units from a contested area, and attack that SAME area with OTHER units? Thus making this combat phase active and ‘mine’ instead of my opponent’s? (since defenders do not activate an area for continual battle, as it was the attacker’s combat area.) (Page 26)

(9) If the Japanese occupies an objective area, and is out of supply (surrounded), do the Japanese claim victory for it?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yik Lin
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Alex W.

These are great questions. A number of them demonstrate some of tactical subtleties possible within the rules.

Our website is currently being revamped and it will have an FAQ section to cover new questions like the ones you've asked. In the meantime, I'll provide the answers here.

One important point to note is that none of the answers below requires any "special treatments" or "exceptions".

Q1: The 6" gun at Pulau Brani belongs to Blakang Mati or Keppel?

A1: The small island of Pulau Brani (unnamed on the mapboard) is colour-coded the same as Blakang Mati and hence belongs to Blakang Mati.

Q2: The assault from Ubin could be made across the straits towards any north east sector that has a grey linking area to them respectively? (There is no axis of attack)

A2: Yes, Ubin sector is adjacent to Punggol, Pasir Ris, Changi & Tekong sectors.

Ubin is designed as a sector instead of an Axis-of-Attack, so as to cater to alternative scenarios where the Japanese may not start in control of Ubin island.

Q3: What area is Tekong ‘First’ adjacent to? To start counting the strike distance.

A3: The grey sea zones are not sectors. Hence the first adjacent sectors to Tekong are Ubin & Changi. This applies for the purposes of range as well, and there is no special rule.

Q4: It was noted in an FAQ, that artillery could be used for Both Offensive and Defensive phase within the time period (page 28), per player turn. It was also noted that the Japanese goes first followed by Australians and ‘last’ by the British (Page 22). So an allied artillery could be used 3 times? (Since I have 3 players in the game, and everyone is going for their own victory condition.)

A4: Japanese artillery can be used 3 times each time period (e.g. Night of 10 Feb 1942), once on their own turn (for Offense), once on the Australian turn (for Defence) and once on the British turn (for Defence). Since Australian & British units cannot attack each other, Australian & British artillery can be used 2 times each time period, once on their own turn (for Offense) and once on the Japanese turn (for Defence). This also reduces "book-keeping" by players on which gun has fired in a particular time period.

Q5: Suppressed Defending units may withdraw. It was also noted (page 26), that defending units may withdraw voluntarily AND must withdraw together. So the defending units could just ‘declare complete withdrawal’ immediately when the combat phase begins? (after surviving all strikes, but before actual land combat?).....not a problem, but isn’t this a ‘cheating-way’ to waste enemy supplies? (some feels that its a neat trick/strategy.....others may think that this is one way to ‘get-around-things’)

A5: This is a legitimate tactic. Other than immediately ceding control, the withdrawing defenders face the risk of strikes from the attacker. The attacker's supplies are not "wasted", as supplies used for artillery would have had a chance to eliminate withdrawing defenders (in order), while the ground units committed would have achieved their objective of capturing the sector without risking any casualties.

Q6: Can an ‘out of supply’ unit (surrounded) that wins a battle (in a continual contested area) in an enemy supply depot area, take ‘losing supply points’ from his enemy and add to his own?

A6: Yes. The unsupplied winning attackers has not only captured supplies, but has also captured the Supply Point and hence are now in supply.

Q7: During the allied turn, can engaged units in contested area ‘move out’ of that area, into adjacent friendly area? Into ANOTHER contested sector?(page 24)

A7: Yes, an engaged unit may move out of a contested sector, as per normal movement rules. They may move into another contested sector, as per normal movement rules, but supplies will need to be used, as per normal supply rules.

Q8: Similar to Q7 above. Can I withdraw all units from a contested area, and attack that SAME area with OTHER units? Thus making this combat phase active and ‘mine’ instead of my opponent’s? (since defenders do not activate an area for continual battle, as it was the attacker’s combat area.) (Page 26)

A8: This is a legitimate tactic. The cost of this tactic is that control of that sector first switches to the former attackers (following the complete withdrawal of the former defenders). This may be important for various reasons. Thereafter, the former attackers are now the defenders of the sector, hence permitting a (counter-)attack by the former defenders. Another cost is that the unit "swap" by the former defender requires supplies, as per normal attacking rules.

Q9: If the Japanese occupies an objective area, and is out of supply (surrounded), do the Japanese claim victory for it?

A9: Yes, unsupplied defenders will continue to control that sector, until eliminated. The important point to note is that victory conditions are dependent on control, not supply.

Design-wise, this allows for desperate "last stand" battles. For instance, if a surrounded & unsupplied defending British infantry unit manages to hold out against the Japanese until the scenario ends, its heroic defence would (& should) deprive the Japanese of a strategic objective and a higher level of victory. The same rule must then apply to unsupplied and surrounded Japanese defenders holding onto a strategic objective.

Similarly, because control is the determining factor, keeping a sector contested on the last round without pushing out or eliminating the defenders in that sector does not (& should not) contribute to the attacker's victory in any way.

I hope the above answers your questions.

Yik Lin
WORLDSFORGE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.