Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short Review: This is the best card game I have ever played.

Rules: Since (at the moment) there is no information posted about this game, I'll lay out the rules:

This game uses a standard deck of cards (with no jokers) which is dealt out completely to the players. The object of the game is to get rid of all your cards. The last person with cards has lost and is named the "Bhabhi." The Bhabhi is the loser of the game - all other players have won the game.

The player with the Ace of Spades starts the game by playing that card. Play proceeds clockwise with each player following suit if possible. Players must play one card of the suit that was lead if they have one, but may play a card of any value of that suit.

If all players have played one card of the same suit, play stops and the complete round of cards are removed from the game (placed in a discard pile). The player who played the highest card of the suit now has the lead and may play any card from his hand to start the next round.

If, on his turn, a player cannot play a card of the suit that was lead, he may play any other card from his hand. Play stops immediately and the player who played the highest card of the suit that was lead must pick up all the cards in play (all the cards of the suit that was lead, plus the one out of suit card that stopped play) and add them to his hand. This player now has the lead and may play any card from his hand to start the next round.

Play continues in this manner until only one player has cards left. They are the Bhabhi, and have lost the game. All other players have won.

Special Rule 1:
On the first round, if a player plays out of suit, play continues until all players have played one card. All these cards are added to the discard pile, even if one or more players has played out of suit. For this reason, turn order is not important on the first round and players may all throw out a Spade (or another card if they have no Spades) as soon as they have their hands arranged.

Special Rule 2:
At any time in the game (except in the middle of a round of play) a player may take the entire hand of cards from the player on his left. The player whose hand was taken immediately becomes one of the winners of the game. A player may take the hands of multiple players, so long as they are always taking from their immediate left.

Special Rule 3:
If play should stop because one player has played out of suit, but the next player still plays a card, that player will have to pick up all the cards and add them to their hand (not the player who had the highest card of the suit that was lead).

Special Rule 4:
If there are more than two players left in the game, and all players have played a card of the same suit to complete the round, but the player who played the highest card of that suit (the player who should therefore start the next round) has no cards left, that player has become one of the winners by getting rid of all their cards and is out of the game. The player on that player's left will start the next round.

Special Rule 4B: The Shoot-Out!
Sometimes the end of the game will occur in a special way which will force a shoot-out between the last two players in the game to determine the Bhabhi. This occurs when there are only two players left in the game, and the player with fewer cards plays their last card, but the other player manages to play a card of the same suit but lower in value. In this situation (similar to Special Rule 3) the cards are removed from the game, but the player who now has the lead (but has no cards) is not yet out of the game. This player (the Drawing Player) must randomly draw a card from the general discard pile (excluding the two cards that forced the shoot-out). The other player (the Responding Player) must play a card according to the regular rules of play. One of three things could happen:

1) If the Responding Player plays a card of the same suit as the drawn card, but of a lower value, then Drawing Player is still in the lead and must draw randomly again from the general discard pile. Play continues until one of the following occurs:

2) If the Responding Player must play a card of the same suit as the drawn card but of a higher value, he has lost the game and becomes the Bhabhi.

3)If the Responding Player has no cards of the suit of the drawn card, he can play any other card and the Drawing Player has lost the game and becomes the Bhabhi.

Review:
This is really a fantastic card game. It's extremely easy to learn/teach and there is a surprisingly large amount of fun that can be had out of this game with such simple rules. Having played the game over 4000 times, I can say that it has a high-replay value - higher than any other game I've ever played. It is the perfect game to play three or four rounds of on your lunch break (which is how I've come to play it over 4000 times). Card-counters will obviously have an advantage in this game, And the higher the skill level of all players the more dependent the final result will be on the starting hands. But despite this, Bhabhi is always a fun, refreshing game that anyone will enjoy playing. I enjoy this game even more than Hearts, which is also one of the best card games out there.

Note: There is some cultural thing with this game about the Bhabhi being the "Sister-in-law" and having to do the dishes. I never quite got what that was all about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
why exactly would you want the hand of the player on your immediate left. this rule baffles me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lengthtoavoid wrote:
why exactly would you want the hand of the player on your immediate left. this rule baffles me.

There are a few reasons:

If the player to your left has cards of suits that are mutually exclusive to the suits of the cards in your hand, you may not be able to "get past" this player. Depending on how many cards of each suit they have, whatever card you play, they could play a card of a different suit - forcing you to take the cards anyways. If you feel that this will occur, taking their hand will have the same result without the other players having the advantage of seeing what cards you've added to your hand.

Now it is possible that after the player to your left has given you a card of a suit you didn't have, you could play that card and (given that the player to your left has additional cards of that suit) you could pass the lead to another player. But that may not actually be to your advantage.

This game is very much about being able to take control of the game at the appropriate time, and being able to shy away from taking the lead at the appropriate time. If you know the player to your left has one or more key cards (low cards) that could help you beat the other players still in the game, then you may want to take his cards.

Another thing to think about is that during the game, you have some measure of control over what goes into the discard pile. This actually becomes important when the game will end in a shootout. If you know that you don't have to take the cards of the player to your left, you may choose to do so anyways to ensure that those cards don't become potential drawn cards by the Drawing Player facing you in a shootout.

This game requires a bit of a different mindset. You're not playing to win, you're playing to not lose.

I often see a player become the Bhabhi when they could have won by taking the cards of the player on their left at the appropriate moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bhabhi Admin
msg tools
There's a site with Bhabhi online at Bhabhi.org. You can play single player at http://www.bhabhi.org or you can play multiplayer at http://bhabhi.org/multi/mplayer.html !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
singhm99 wrote:
There's a site with Bhabhi online at Bhabhi.org. You can play single player at http://www.bhabhi.org or you can play multiplayer at http://bhabhi.org/multi/mplayer.html !!

I'm glad that somebody is devoting some energy to this, but the game against computer players on this site is not worth your time. I haven't been able to try the multiplayer version on this site because there isn't anybody to play against currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you stop people from lying? It looks like you can say "I don't have that suit" and hope that later, no one notices when you do play that suit.

I guess you can call them the instant loser of the game but it could get complicated to track as you can gain cards of that suit after not having any of that suit.

Also, I don't care for the game Hearts but I do like Spades. Do you think I would potentially like this game?

Do you find that players dealt higher cards have an advantage? Is it an advantage to lead the rounds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen anyone attempt to lie in this game. Although if anyone did, and managed to get away with it, then nobody is really putting any effort into the game.

I haven't played Spades, so I can't comment about that.

It is certainly an advantage to be dealt lower cards, but what matters more is having cards that you know are the lowest of their suit that remain in play.

It can be advantageous or disadvantageous to have the lead depending on the game situation. Having (and keeping) the lead (until the right moment) when it comes down to two players is critical. Not having the lead when you know the player(s) to your left have suits mutually exclusive with yours is also critical.

Neo42 wrote:
How do you stop people from lying? It looks like you can say "I don't have that suit" and hope that later, no one notices when you do play that suit.

I guess you can call them the instant loser of the game but it could get complicated to track as you can gain cards of that suit after not having any of that suit.

Also, I don't care for the game Hearts but I do like Spades. Do you think I would potentially like this game?

Do you find that players dealt higher cards have an advantage? Is it an advantage to lead the rounds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting - I would like to give this a try. Do you use any scoring system to keep track of who has been the bhabhi how often or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:
Interesting - I would like to give this a try. Do you use any scoring system to keep track of who has been the bhabhi how often or something?

Well, I did participate in a year-long 2000 game tournament where we kept track of win/lose stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bhabhi Admin
msg tools
I'm just happy there's bhabhi online free without any ads or anything.... the multiplayer is kind of annoying and only good if you're with your buddies and play it really... i guess not that many people on it yet.soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sup people... This is my first time here... I have no experience with card games or what so ever but im really interested in fully learning Bhabhi Thulla. Can i get some help for some rules.... I was playing this game with my friend and he had plenty cards in his hand and i only had one. He threw a 5 spades and i had a heart... What do i do now.. some one please help soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Parlett
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
Sorry to be so pedantic shake, but can I just point out that the first card to a trick is led, not lead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.