Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: I play Dominion with all the expansions mixed in.Microbadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fanMicrobadge: Homesteaders fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
This is my variant for the Pegasus expansion. It's named after the season two episode where Six wakes up from her death on Caprica with awesome results. Its goal is to provide a balanced, tense and interesting game while incorporating as many Pegasus expansion elements as possible. These goals are often at odds with one another, and because of this I have not (yet) integrated New Caprica into this version of the game.

From gallery of SevenSpirits

Features:
- Six new Cylon character cards, used by revealed Cylons and the potential Cylon Leader.
- Rebalanced Human characters where appropriate.
- A new deck of Loyalty cards with (achievable) individual goals, making it a bit more than a team game.
- Increased significance of Reckless Skill Checks and Treachery cards.
- More Cylon Ship activations, for more space combat.
- Carefully tested balance from 3-6 players.

Download here: http://bsg.s3m7.com

Please leave any comments or questions here. Note that I was about as terse as possible in writing down rules changes. Let me know which things you find unclear. I will probably add an FAQ soon.

Note that I expect this to be balanced approximately the same as my base-game Valley of Darkness variant, with the addition that approximately 1/5 of the players will not achieve their goals.

P.S. Let me know if you have any ideas for abilities for Simon that don't involve him being a doctor. (I tried making a character for him, but man, he can't have all three of his abilities be doctor-themed! I draw the line at two.) His Skill Set would be Green Purple Blue Blue, and he needs to have a regular ability costing [4].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Babylon 5 fanMicrobadge: Level 15 BGG posterMicrobadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
Criticism (hopefully constructive? )
If you're trying to achieve mistrust, chaos, and confusion, or disloyalty and backstabbing, the goals certainly seem to encourage it. Everyone's going to be fighting to be President or Admiral just to be able to fulfill their goal and not because they're actually a Cylon... meanwhile if you accidentally get executed because of a Cylon Admiral making a decision to execute you or you get brigged because destiny tossed in -10 to that check you're SOL. At that point, you've already lost the game, hope you don't mind sticking around for another 2-3 hours.

Too many of them feel like the original Cylon leader agendas ... too much out of your control. I like the idea but I think that the agendas need to be more in your control.

Rules Q:
Only Aaron and Ellen Tigh draw treachery? It's not going to come up very much then...
Six's ability is confusing. Is the intent that if you use Caprica and don't like either crisis you can pay [6] and draw two new ones? I'm not clear what other method there is by which a Crisis card would be revealed (since Launch Scout does not actually have you draw the Crisis but rather just look at it).

General comment:
The fonts on many of the character cards are blurry/fuzzy and a little hard to read. I'm sure someone else who's made some of the fan cards could tell you how they did it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: I play Dominion with all the expansions mixed in.Microbadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fanMicrobadge: Homesteaders fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
Thanks!

InfoCynic wrote:
Everyone's going to be fighting to be President or Admiral just to be able to fulfill their goal and not because they're actually a Cylon... meanwhile if you accidentally get executed because of a Cylon Admiral making a decision to execute you or you get brigged because destiny tossed in -10 to that check you're SOL. At that point, you've already lost the game, hope you don't mind sticking around for another 2-3 hours.
I have actually played 10+ games with goals. These things aren't true at all. Actually the worst I've seen is two extra uncontested elections. Also, I have yet to see anyone in a hopeless position. It has always been unclear up until the last turn whether you're going to get your goals or not.

Quote:
Too many of them feel like the original Cylon leader agendas ... too much out of your control. I like the idea but I think that the agendas need to be more in your control.
Some of them are hard to control, but the fact is that you can write off half of them. Usually if you casually look for opportunities for all of your goals, you will get three, which is more than enough. By the way, having to fulfill 3 of 6 goals is only a tiny bit harder than 2 out of 4.

Quote:
Rules Q:
Only Aaron and Ellen Tigh draw treachery? It's not going to come up very much then...
That's right. It turned out in testing that having both revealed Cylons drawing treachery was too strong (in this variant). Because of this, I only allowed one Cylon character to do so. The main source of treachery draws remains Crisis cards. Fewer of them are drawn than in vanilla Pegasus, but the ones drawn tend to matter more.

Quote:
Six's ability is confusing. Is the intent that if you use Caprica and don't like either crisis you can pay [6] and draw two new ones? I'm not clear what other method there is by which a Crisis card would be revealed (since Launch Scout does not actually have you draw the Crisis but rather just look at it).
There are two main ways: Caprica and, well, just plain old drawing a Crisis card.

Quote:
General comment:
The fonts on many of the character cards are blurry/fuzzy and a little hard to read. I'm sure someone else who's made some of the fan cards could tell you how they did it
Whoa, what? Could you post a screenshot (with it zoomed in to maybe 200%?) They look much better than other ones I've seen to me, but maybe the fonts weren't properly included in the pdfs or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
I'm curious - in what way were the treachery cards too strong?

Kudos on the expansion, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I played a couple games where the humans ran low on cards and then the cylons kept playing reckless skill check cards into every check. Any negative check would then result in some combination of basestars, raider activations and additional treachery draws. The unfair part was the By Your Command activations in combination with the extra crisis cards from my variant. The catalyst though was drawing two treachery cards per round plus getting two more with that other reckless card. If only one cylon can draw treachery it's a lot harder to chain that all together in a self-sustaining engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Babylon 5 fanMicrobadge: Level 15 BGG posterMicrobadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
They actually look OK but not perfect (which I don't expect) at 125% and above; it was at 100% that didn't look right. I didn't want to try printing (as much fun as using the office color laser printer is... ) ... and when I paste the screen shot into Paint.NET it looks fine so I'll blame Acrobat Reader for that one.

I look at these and knowing my play group... I can't see most of these actually working. You try to brig the admiral just so you can pick a destination... and we'll airlock you, good luck coming back as Admiral after that. I'm not going to waste two actions (one to get you in, one to get you out) and 14 strength of skill cards just so I can fulfill an agenda, while hurting my team... but I guess if that's the kind of game you want... A lot of the agendas require resources to be at a certain point, but an individual person has very little control over these, except the Admiral for fuel and the President for food. If you're trying to control morale, what can you really do? Not execute people and try to pass checks (but it's not yours alone to decide)...

Perhaps some clarification on how these agendas work... does this replace the loyalty deck? I think so but couldn't find that in the very terse rules.
You're dealt one at the start of the game, and one more at sleeper except the optional one Cylon leader who starts the game with two. [If you don't take a Cylon leader to start, how do you construct the loyalty deck / what do you do about the Sympathizer?] To win, your team needs to win and you need to fulfill half your goals, which could be as high as 5 goals out of 10, some of which might be mutually exclusive so you could be looking at 5 out of 7 or 8 easily... (in a 6-player game with a Cylon leader, where he and the two other cylons use their once-per-game pass you their agenda card, you have 5 cards times 2 goals each). If either of your agenda cards says CYLON, you're a Cylon, and can reveal as an action (those rules I found).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I really don't know what to say to your comments about the loyalty goals, except that it's pretty clear you haven't played with them. You're speculating about a lot of scenarios that would never ever happen in a real game.

Quote:
Perhaps some clarification on how these agendas work... does this replace the loyalty deck? I think so but couldn't find that in the very terse rules.
You're dealt one at the start of the game, and one more at sleeper except the optional one Cylon leader who starts the game with two.
Right. They are replacement loyalty cards, and you distribute them in exactly the same way.

Quote:
[If you don't take a Cylon leader to start, how do you construct the loyalty deck / what do you do about the Sympathizer?]
Aha, I don't think I mentioned that there was no sympathizer. Good catch!

Quote:
To win, your team needs to win and you need to fulfill half your goals, which could be as high as 5 goals out of 10
Lol, it could be much higher than that! Just get yourself executed over and over again. In reality, I've only seen someone with four loyalty cards once, and it was Baltar. However, perhaps, to prevent those Cylon passing shenanigans, you should have to pass your card to someone with the fewest loyalty cards. I don't think that would hurt the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
So does the leader take a Cylon goal card randomly, then you build the rest of the deck normally (-1 cylon goal) and then shuffle and distribute, or does the leader just take 2 random goals?

Do you use 2 cylons for a 4-player game (1 optional leader) or not? I know you said "exactly the same way" but what do you replace the sympathizer card with -- a cylon agenda or a human agenda?

It looks interesting enough to try, but I'll remain skeptical about the ease of fulfilling goals until then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
They're "loyalty cards". The Cylon Leader gets them just like everyone else, except they get the second one right away. So they are not necessarily on the Cylon team.

There is one Cylon in 3-4 player games, and two in 5-6 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Emergency Abort Switch - push to power down userMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - ShapersMicrobadge: Puzzle Strike fanMicrobadge: It's peanut butter jelly time!Microbadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault Fan - I love my AT-ST
Did Baltar really need to be stronger? I guess he has to achieve more goals than other people, so maybe, but it seems like he will overshadow other characters (more power and more problems).

If Baltar adds the cards from Delusional Intuition to the check, does that count as destiny's 2 cards? If Baltar shuffles them back into the deck, do you still play 2 cards from destiny?

How do I know which Cylons are lower "model number" than others? (For those of us who don't follow the show)

Wording could be better on Leoben's OPG, "may and must" is really awkward. Suggest changing last sentence to "You and that player must add that many cards to the skill check (ignore limitations due to Brig, Detention, or Infiltration)". Can Leoben and his friend play more than the chosen number of cards (might be useful to pick zero if you can lock a player out of a check)?

I like what you've done with most of the other characters. Not sure why you changed Zarek, the ability is about the same power level and I don't think it's more thematic or anything. I understand what you're doing with Roslin, but it seems like a 3 card skill set (YYG?) would be a little more fair while still giving her some options, or maybe even keeping her original skill set but drawback becomes "after your Receive Skills step, discard three (two?) cards".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
CitizenFry wrote:
Did Baltar really need to be stronger? I guess he has to achieve more goals than other people, so maybe, but it seems like he will overshadow other characters (more power and more problems).
His ability might be more minor than you think. His main buff is actually his improved skill card draw.

Quote:
If Baltar adds the cards from Delusional Intuition to the check, does that count as destiny's 2 cards? If Baltar shuffles them back into the deck, do you still play 2 cards from destiny?
No, yes.

Quote:
How do I know which Cylons are lower "model number" than others? (For those of us who don't follow the show)
The "discard cards totaling exactly some number" costs on the Cylons' normal abilities correspond to their model numbers.

Quote:
Wording could be better on Leoben's OPG, "may and must" is really awkward. Suggest changing last sentence to "You and that player must add that many cards to the skill check (ignore limitations due to Brig, Detention, or Infiltration)".
You appear to have understood it anyway. I will probably leave it as is due to space considerations.

Quote:
Can Leoben and his friend play more than the chosen number of cards (might be useful to pick zero if you can lock a player out of a check)?
No. Yes, that might be useful.

Quote:
I like what you've done with most of the other characters. Not sure why you changed Zarek, the ability is about the same power level and I don't think it's more thematic or anything.
It's actually quite a bit stronger. Zarek's original ability is extremely weak.

Quote:
I understand what you're doing with Roslin, but it seems like a 3 card skill set (YYG?) would be a little more fair while still giving her some options, or maybe even keeping her original skill set but drawback becomes "after your Receive Skills step, discard three (two?) cards".
Having played a lot with her and having tried to calculate the value of her ability, I think she is still a playable character with a 2 card draw (though hopefully a tiny bit worse than some others since she's first in line for president). I realize a lot of people on BGG will disagree. If you want, you can play with her drawing three cards (YYG). I think that would make her the best character, but I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play Shadows over Camelot with Merlin's Company
Just for clarification: I assume that when playing with Downloaded the original base game rules for revealed cylons still apply if not stated otherwise but the original Pegasus rules for infiltrating etc. do not apply.

To be more specific. Original cylon leaders have 2 skill cards in their set and yours have 4 (but not much treachery). I suppose for Downloaded:
- Cylon leaders don't draw an additional skill card when infiltrating (as written in original Pegasus rules), right?
- Players on cylon locations (i. e. cylon leaders or cylon loyalty players after revealing) can still play only 1 card to skill checks but as much as they want when infiltrating (unless in brig). Is that right? The original Pegasus rules state: When infiltrating you can only play 2 cards to skill checks.

The question appeared when I read your Leoben ability "After contributing one or more cards to a skill check" So I suppose "or more" is for infiltrating cylon leader Leoben only. Otherwise I imagine 2 revealed cylon characters/loyalties with multiple contributions to skill checks would be too strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I love Games with ~~~ THEME ~~~~
badge
I don't have hobbies I have *p@ssions*
Microbadge: "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Abe LincolnMicrobadge: I rate games after one play Microbadge: I have played all games in the BGG Top 100Microbadge: Platinum game rater - I've rated 1000+ games on the GeekMicrobadge: I rate and comment games
We recently tried 2 of your characters (We use our own house rules which is kinda like Pegasus without NC and Execution and with the skill cards from Exodus):

Felix Gaeta
We are wondering if the +1 to all die rolls even applies for cylon raiders. For now we ruled it that it doesent work in the activate cylons step of a turn.
His OPG is a bit tricky for its use it is kinda like a soft reveal, unless ofc the other players forget about it.

Galen Tyrol
This char really needed a boost. Without the damage sponge (We use pegasus ship, but all damage still goes to Galactica.)he is really strong.
How is he intended to work with the 2 out of 5 damages token cylon? We ruled it that he couldn't interfer with that.
I guess with the OPG he is allowed to put one card on top and one at the bottom not only both top or bottom?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BadPritt wrote:
Felix Gaeta
We are wondering if the +1 to all die rolls even applies for cylon raiders. For now we ruled it that it doesent work in the activate cylons step of a turn.
It applies to all die rolls, even "bad" ones.

Quote:
How is he intended to work with the 2 out of 5 damages token cylon? We ruled it that he couldn't interfer with that.
Yes, he can't interfere with that. (That ability doesn't "draw a damage token".)

Quote:
I guess with the OPG he is allowed to put one card on top and one at the bottom not only both top or bottom?
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Califax wrote:
Just for clarification: I assume that when playing with Downloaded the original base game rules for revealed cylons still apply if not stated otherwise but the original Pegasus rules for infiltrating etc. do not apply.

To be more specific. Original cylon leaders have 2 skill cards in their set and yours have 4 (but not much treachery). I suppose for Downloaded:
- Cylon leaders don't draw an additional skill card when infiltrating (as written in original Pegasus rules), right?
- Players on cylon locations (i. e. cylon leaders or cylon loyalty players after revealing) can still play only 1 card to skill checks but as much as they want when infiltrating (unless in brig). Is that right? The original Pegasus rules state: When infiltrating you can only play 2 cards to skill checks.

The question appeared when I read your Leoben ability "After contributing one or more cards to a skill check" So I suppose "or more" is for infiltrating cylon leader Leoben only. Otherwise I imagine 2 revealed cylon characters/loyalties with multiple contributions to skill checks would be too strong.
I think I missed these questions earlier.

Rule as written on the "Infiltration" rule card is:
Infiltrating Cylons act like human players in all respects. Therefore,
* They draw all 4 of their skill cards. (When in cylon locations, they draw just 2 of these.)
* There is no cap on the number of cards they can add to a skill check, unless they are in the Brig or something like that. (When in cylon locations, they play just 0-1 as stated in base game rules.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Abe LincolnMicrobadge: I rate games after one play Microbadge: I have played all games in the BGG Top 100Microbadge: Platinum game rater - I've rated 1000+ games on the GeekMicrobadge: I rate and comment games
SevenSpirits wrote:
BadPritt wrote:
Felix Gaeta
Hm, how do you explain that storywise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BadPritt wrote:
SevenSpirits wrote:
BadPritt wrote:
Felix Gaeta
I don't remember what I was thinking back then, but two explanations occur to me now.

a) The ability represents, essentially, increased/closer engagement with the enemy that turn.

b) The ability represents using networked computers (aaah, scary), which in BSG means increased communication speed but also risk of cylons listening in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
SevenSpirits wrote:
BadPritt wrote:
SevenSpirits wrote:
BadPritt wrote:
Felix Gaeta
I don't remember what I was thinking back then, but two explanations occur to me now.

a) The ability represents, essentially, increased/closer engagement with the enemy that turn.

b) The ability represents using networked computers (aaah, scary), which in BSG means increased communication speed but also risk of cylons listening in.
I c. Ok, maybe you could regard it as a double edged bonus like Iron Will. Pushing hard comes with benefits as well with threaths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls