Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I live in the congested Washington DC area, the last thing I want to see is a game about traffic jams, but that's the main theme of this design set in Ancient Rome. To be fair, lots of racing games feature choke points and bottlenecks, but not so prominently. And it plays out about as excitingly as you might expect. I don't think Strada Romana is bad so much as it's kind of pointless. There are ten wagons on the board--five traveling from left to right and five traveling from right to left--and they travel over the same set of roads. On your turn, you get to move some of them and based on where they end up, you might be able to take a counter and/or a cube. If you have a counter and a cube of the same color in your supply, it represents a delivery. Your score at the end of the game is equal to the number of different colored deliveries you've acquired multiplied by the highest number of deliveries you have in one color.

Okay, fair enough, but in our game, at least, this proved to be ridiculously easy to do. On the vast majority of turns, each player was able to grab a counter and a cube of the same color. Often, it was in the color they most needed. There was no tension and few clever moves, just move, grab, grab, "Your turn." The traffic jams didn't even come into play until very late in the game, so even the game's main focus was lacking.

You can also predict which wagons will complete their journey, but that wasn't too exciting either. It really only made sense to do this in the middle of the game: too early, and it was a crapshoot; too late, and the likely finishers had all been chosen. Finally, there are some special moves you can make for a cost (like moving sideways or diagonally), but these were rarely necessary to accomplish everything you wanted during your turn. I don't know, maybe we weren't playing the game very well, but without any real challenge, it was pretty boring and...well, like I said, pointless.

Designer Walter Obert did a good job getting his games published this year, but this one pales in comparison to Aargh!Tect, the party-style game of his where you try to communicate with your caveman partner by smacking him on the head with an inflatable club. Then again, I guess that's not a fair comparison; if you had the chance to play a game about Roman traffic jams or a head-bopping, club-wielding caveman game, which would you choose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weak game. I also played it once and got that same "we must be playing something wrong" feeling. Very disappointing. There were no interesting decisions to make. It seemed not tested enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Your review doesn't state the number of players you played with. Could you please supply us with that information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, Maarten. It was a four-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
4 players, huh? That's a shame to hear, really. I was hoping that the above was written with 2 players in mind, where the game is so 'open' that all the special moves one needs to move out of traffic jams hardly ever are required. Apparently in the 4 player-game that need is not very existent either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Obert
Italy
Piossasco-Turin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
4 players, huh? That's a shame to hear, really...

A really short look to SR :-)
I see this with a big delay, and I'm sorry for this. It's not first time a game is played (and reviewed) with wrong rules...

I must to admit: the first edition of the game had the english rules blurry on some parts. I discovered this reading the negative comments from US players. New revised rules by Will Niebling are in the Elfinwerks edition:
http://www.elfinwerks.com/our-games/itemlist/category/20-str...
with optional rules:
http://www.elfinwerks.com/images/stories/SROptional.pdf

About the game, I wanted to mesh a running game style with collect and bidding mechanics, on a simple abstract setting. I dont remember another game with these features. The final result is SR, a game placed at second place on 2008 Archimede contest (+140 games) and at firsts four places at 2008 Boulogne-Billancourt prototype contest (+140 games). These awards have high level juries, so I like to think is quite difficult for them makes wrong choices, considering the level of past games awarded from them.

http://www.studiogiochi.com/en/p/Premio-Archimede_Edizione-2...
http://www.ludotheque.com/spip.php?article402

Some designer notes and suggestions
- Breaking ten wagons run in two sides, five wagons runs against the other five; so is possible to have fast running game and more tricky situation when them crush in the bottlenecks, adding more variety from match to match.
- Turns are distributed by players: a full game is composed from X rounds, divided by players. Two players play more turns then 5, but the game remains the same.
- Picking the right tile or cubes is easy only if you play with not skilled players. Drawing them from the sack is a bit random, I agreed, but moves must to be planned considering this factor.
- Take the right tickets at right time can be the key to win a game.
- Draw away the lasting piece of the fifth (or sixth) contract of a player can be helpful.

For a more challenging game I suggest to use some optional rule, or all together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Obert, you should upload corrected rules then.

Here on BGG I find only rules stating quite clearly that in 4-5 player games you can take a tile AND a cube. The restriction only applies to 2-3 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Obert
Italy
Piossasco-Turin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is right. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wallover wrote:

I see this with a big delay, and I'm sorry for this. It's not first time a game is played (and reviewed) with wrong rules...

I must to admit: the first edition of the game had the english rules blurry on some parts. I discovered this reading the negative comments from US players. New revised rules by Will Niebling are in the Elfinwerks edition:
http://www.elfinwerks.com/our-games/itemlist/category/20-str...
with optional rules:
http://www.elfinwerks.com/images/stories/SROptional.pdf

Apologies if I'm missing something, but can you explain what rules the OP played incorrectly? The links are just to some "optional" rules and the site to buy the new edition.

Also the link to the rules page in the Links section appears to be broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.