Monopoly Deal Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: general variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J T
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
My friends and I have been addicted to this game lately and have come up with a few different variants of this game. Here are some:

1. Money variant - (sorry for butchering the description) We came up with this to add another level of strategy to the game. When collecting rent, the money that is designated as money (cards that can only be used as money, let's call this "real" money) goes into the collector's hand and any other money (we call this table money, money that was converted to money, i.e. double the rent becomes $1 million) goes directly into the collector's bank. Now, in order for the money that is now in the collector's hand to be put in the bank, the player must use 1 play for each of the cards laid. This creates two situations. a) the players paying rent are going to use more "real" money in order to flood the collector with money that must be put into his/her hand. The players paying rent will also use two $1 million cards than one $2 million card. and b) the extra money that the collector can't keep in his hand because of the 7 card limit gets put into the discard pile which makes the discard pile bigger so there are more cards when the discard pile is reshuffled.

2. Just say no variant - A just say no card can be used by any player to cancel any action card laid. For instance, if a player lays a deal breaker and the player who is getting there property stolen doesn't have a just say no card, any other player at the table can lay a just say no as a last chance effort to keep the game from ending. (usually this would only be relevant if the game were going to end)

3. Rearranging property variant - this is a simple variant. Any time a property is rearranged (i.e. flipping a two sided wild or moving a multicolored wild) the player must count it as a turn or play.

4. Winning variant - some have already listed this variant but i'll list it again. We designated at the beginning how many monopolies are needed to win. We usually just up it to 4.

5. Property/Money Variant - simply, property cannot be used as money. This makes all properties a possible option.

6. Bank variant - Cards in a person's bank are laid face down so no one can tell how much money is in their bank. This makes the game more interesting and may help protect people with a small bank (3 cards may be $19 million or it may be $3 million)

Let me know what you guys think of these variants. I'm always up for other variants so if you guys have any suggestions, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Stein
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it seems like variants 1, 3, and 4 serve only to increase the game length. Which is fine, if that's what you want, but the reason I like MD is that it's pretty quick in the first place.

I don't really have an opinion on 2 - it seems like it would be a pretty rare occurrence, but it's a valid option.

I'm not sure what you mean by 5 - "all properties a possible option"? For what?

I am a bit intrigued by variant 6, although I'm unsure how well it would play in a real game.

Have you played with all of these variants? What worked best for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 is the rules. Only money and actions are allowed to be placed in the bank.

6 sounds neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
5 is the rules. Only money and actions are allowed to be placed in the bank.

6 sounds neat.

#5 - I think he's saying you don't can't use properties to pay your debts. Not sure how that would work though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Motta
Brazil
Araranguá
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jttkach wrote:

1. Money variant -

I don´t understand. I charge a rent of $3. A player pays with a $5 bill.
I need exchange the $5 bill to keep only $3 on my hand, putting the rest $2 in the money pile of my bank? Is that it?

jttkach wrote:
2. Just say no variant - A just say no card can be used by any player to cancel any action card laid.

Blocking the thiefs.

jttkach wrote:
3. Rearranging property variant - this is a simple variant. Any time a property is rearranged (i.e. flipping a two sided wild or moving a multicolored wild) the player must count it as a turn or play.

It is a interesting option. I liked this!

jttkach wrote:
4. Winning variant - some have already listed this variant but i'll list it again. We designated at the beginning how many monopolies are needed to win. We usually just up it to 4.

I use this when I play in two players. But is can be applied with more players to increase the playing time and fun.

jttkach wrote:
5. Property/Money Variant - simply, property cannot be used as money. This makes all properties a possible option.

But if I dont have Money, I dont pay my debts?

jttkach wrote:
6. Bank variant - Cards in a person's bank are laid face down so no one can tell how much money is in their bank. This makes the game more interesting and may help protect people with a small bank (3 cards may be $19 million or it may be $3 million)

Good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.