Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Morgal
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Experiencing senility daily since... I forget.
mbmbmbmbmb
My oldest son just created an account on the Geek. He has been recording our holiday plays. When recording the plays, he referenced myself and his brother (who is also a BGG user).

I wondered if his recording of plays would show up in our played list since he referenced our user accounts when recording the plays. I see now that they did not. I appreciate the programming and user consideration headaches this would cause to add such a function, but it would be neat to have.

Short of that, is there an easy way to copy his play entries to mine? Copying his contents would help cut down on the chances of discrepencies between the play lists even though editing them will still be a pain. This will require the same information to be maintained in as many lists as there are players in the game recording plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not aware of a way to have the system copy play information for you, and I doubt that it exists.

You acknowledge that there would be problems with doing this automatically. I, for one, would be very, very unhappy if BoardGameGeek did this kind of thing automatically. Each player uses a slightly different system for logging games. I game with a lot of different people, so having a bunch of plays show up automatically would make a mess of the system I have chosen to use.

Having a way for people to tie their plays together would be nice for those who want it. Making it optional would be necessary for those who don't want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Webb
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let's Go Pens!
badge
One more win...Beat the Sharks!
mbmbmb
When my wife and I joined Facebook, we were surprised that when you put in that you are married with a link to your spouse, that Facebook sends a confirmation to the alleged spouse, asking them to confirm that you are indeed married. At first we found that weird, but then thought about how that feature could be abused by some.

Where I don't think we need:
BoardGameGeek Confirmation wrote:
User Myrdin T Sasnak claims to have beaten you in Power Grid. Please click here to confirm that you indeed played Power Grid with Myrdin T Sasnak

Where the Facebook approach may be a bit much, I do think that the ability to clone another person's play and edit your own copy of it might not be a bad feature to add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Morgal
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Experiencing senility daily since... I forget.
mbmbmbmbmb
wwwebb wrote:
Where I don't think we need:
BoardGameGeek Confirmation wrote:
User Myrdin T Sasnak claims to have beaten you in Power Grid. Please click here to confirm that you indeed played Power Grid with Myrdin T Sasnak

jeffwolfe wrote:
Having a way for people to tie their plays together would be nice for those who want it. Making it optional would be necessary for those who don't want it.

That's part of what I was speaking to when I said adding a feature would be difficult because of the 'user consideration headaches' it would cause.

In concept, this is something I would use and appreciate. Yes, it would need to be an optional feature by user. Could only users linked to the play edit it, or only the author? Many things would need to be weighed and considered. It's probably too much of a headache all around to do and probably not justified for the number of users that would want to use it. Dunno.

I'm not at all positive, but being able to copy a play log entry would be much easier and something that I would greatly appreciate. If a player references your account when recording a play, a geekmail could be generated and sent to you. In the geekmail, it could ask if you want to copy the play to your play list. Click yes and the playlist information is copied. A helpful and I suspect, rather simple programming mod to accomplish.

This would also let user's know if they are being linked to in a questionable manner as wwwebb described above. I would very much want to know if someone posted that I just played a game of Power Grid. I am one of the very few who REALLY does not like Power Grid. Who knows, right now, some twisted mind could be logging me as having played 10 games of Monopoly! Inquiring minds want to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.