Subject: Just had my first game. A few questions....... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
1. Can a revealed Cylon be thrown into brig (I think not)?

2. When it comes to secrecy, after a Skill Check result is revealed, is the example of a player saying "I didn't place the red Skill Card!" a legitimate expression to utter (I think not)?

3. FAQ on secrecy says if I play multiple Skill Cards, I'm allowed to say things like "a medium amount". What is meant by "multiple"? a minimum of 2? 3? 4? Also, can I say things like "not a bad amount"?

4. Does a player need to discard a Skill Card in order to launch themselves into a viper from the Hangar Deck?

5. Can a player use their non-Action Skill Cards during another player's turn?

6. Can a player use multiple Skill Cards at the same time unless a Skill Card forbids them from doing so (I think so)?

5. If the current President hands over their title to another player, do they have to also hand over Quorum Cards (I think so)? If not, are they still able to use the Quorum Cards (I think not)?

6. Can the Revealed Cylon player use the Super Crisis Card on the same turn as when they revealed themself, or do they have to wait for another turn in order to activate Caprica (I think the latter)?

7. Is it correct to say that a Revealed Cylon player can only receive one Super Crisis Card per game?

8. How do I know which printing of the game I have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodya wrote:
1. Can a revealed Cylon be thrown into brig (I think not)?

Not if they're in the Cylon locations. (In the expansion, it's possible for revealed Cylons to be onboard Galactica, but in the base game, can't happen.)

Quote:

2. When it comes to secrecy, after a Skill Check result is revealed, is the example of a player saying "I didn't place the red Skill Card!" a legitimate expression to utter (I think not)?
Correct - totally illegal.

Quote:

3. FAQ on secrecy says if I play multiple Skill Cards, I'm allowed to say things like "a medium amount". What is meant by "multiple"? a minimum of 2? 3? 4? Also, can I say things like "not a bad amount"?
These are a little fuzzy. I would say having 2 or more gives you the ability to say "medium". We always play that you can say 3 things. "Good", "meh" or "okay" (when playing multiple cards.) That's it. Were I you, I'd just treat "not bad" and "medium" the same.

Quote:

4. Does a player need to discard a Skill Card in order to launch themselves into a viper from the Hangar Deck?
Nope.

Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
6. Can a player use multiple Skill Cards at the same time unless a Skill Card forbids them from doing so (I think so)?
Yes, though I think evasive maneuvers is the only one this matters for. The others are actions, Strategic Planning (one per roll), or Scientific Research/Investigative Committee/Declare Emergency (One per skill check). Don't forget only one executive order per turn.

Quote:

5. If the current President hands over their title to another player, do they have to also hand over Quorum Cards (I think so)? If not, are they still able to use the Quorum Cards (I think not)?
The quorum hand belongs to the president and goes with the title. This is part of Laura Roslin's once per game - that's the only time a non-president can play a quorum card.

Quote:

6. Can the Revealed Cylon player use the Super Crisis Card on the same turn as when they revealed themself, or do they have to wait for another turn in order to activate Caprica (I think the latter)?
Revealing is their action and ends their turn, even if they were XO'ed and revealed.

Quote:

7. Is it correct to say that a Revealed Cylon player can only receive one Super Crisis Card per game?

In the base game, they can only play one. If they draw one they don't like, they can use the Res. Ship to trade their Super Crisis for another, but once they play one, they're done with Super Crises. (In the expansion, weirder things happen.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 No. A cylon who revealed themselves is thrown to the resurrection ship which is out of BSG. However if you have strong suspicion and perhaps proof you may thow that suspect tot he brig to limit the damage.

2.It's okay unless the person told the specific card detail.

3.You can give any number of card to help crisis card skill check. A revelaed cylon could only give one though

4.No. Only pilots are allowed to launch into the viper however if a pilot want to get back to either Colonial one or Battlestar Galactica then he or she have to discard one card and then allowed to choose any location on either BSG or Colonial one.

5.Yes

6.Yes. A revealed cylon must wait for another turn before doing anything outside galactica,

7.Yes and they can only use one supercrisis card once per game they may however chnage their supercrisis card by activating caprica location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm can somebody clarify point no 2?

I thought we were allowed to do this I mean we could lie and all that unless we tell the specific card that we put in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the speedy replies guys.

3 further questions regarding Cylons:

1. In a 5p game, there is the possibility of having 2 Cylons or no Cylons before the Sleeper Agent Phase. Is this right?

2. Any tips on how to prevent a player from being exposed as a Cylon if they stare too long at their "You are a Cylon" card when the Loyalty Cards are first dealt in the game?

3. What do you do if you're the Cylon player and feel like blushing or cracking up when someone accuses you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My name is Watt wrote:

I thought we were allowed to do this I mean we could lie and all that unless we tell the specific card that we put in.

I've always played that you can't claim anything about which particular cards you did or did not play after the skill check. You can certainly claim that you played positively and not negatively (i.e. you can always say you're not a Cylon.) You can also point out factual things like "I don't draw any red cards". But things like "I played green cards" or something like that are out. This is one of those rules that's easily bendable if a group prefers it, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodya wrote:
Thanks for the speedy replies guys.

1. In a 5p game, there is the possibility of having 2 Cylons or no Cylons before the Sleeper Agent Phase. Is this right?

Correct. The uncertainty is key to the game.

Quote:

2. Any tips on how to prevent a player from being exposed as a Cylon if they stare too long at their "You are a Cylon" card when the Loyalty Cards are first dealt in the game?

This one's easy. Make everyone stare at their Loyalty card for 5-10 seconds.

Quote:

3. What do you do if you're the Cylon player and feel like blushing or cracking up when someone accuses you?

This one's harder.... Practice accusing them of being a Cylon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Snake? What happened? Snake! Snaaaaaake!
badge
Your eyebrows won't save you now.
mbmbmbmbmb
``Further questions''
1. Yes. There are 2 You Are a Cylon loyalty cards in the loyalty deck, but these are shuffled in, and half the deck isn't distributed at the beginning of the game (roughly). So there could be zero, one, or even two Cylons in the first half of the game. It's even possible for Baltar to have drawn both of these cards at the outset (although this is extremely unlikely).

2. All players should take a mandatory 10 seconds each time a loyalty card is looked at so that they can pretend to be reading it. After a few plays it won't matter because each player will have memorized the pictures.

3. Act natural. Nothing says Cylon like an irrational outburst of emotion. Remember it's ok to be animated. Redirect any accusation at a plausible suspect or point out how rediculous their claim is (even if it's true).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:

Quote:
Yep.
Provided of course that they are not a revealed cylon player. Revealed cylon players may not use cards for their text (exception: in the expansion there's an orange skill deck that cylons may use).

coolpapa wrote:

Quote:
Yes, though I think evasive maneuvers is the only one this matters for. The others are actions, Strategic Planning (one per roll), or Scientific Research/Investigative Committee/Declare Emergency (One per skill check). Don't forget only one executive order per turn.

Quite correct, but there's an issue here that I think needs to be addressed. I don't recall the exact text (and don't have my copy handy), but some cards do not explicitly have a limit of one (despite the fact that mutliple cards played would have no additional effect). For example, if blue cards are already positive on a skill check, there's no rule that says you can't play a Scientific research. That said (my play group does not do this) if two players simultaneously attempt to play SR it's quite possible that both cards are supposed to be played. (This is not the case with limit one cards, where the first player to play them has done so, and in the case of simultaneous play the current player bounces one of the cards back to a player's hand). This probably doesn't address your question though. There's no reason a player cannot play multiple cards, so long as they are all legal to be played.

coolpapa wrote:

Quote:

The quorum hand belongs to the president and goes with the title. This is part of Laura Roslin's once per game - that's the only time a non-president can play a quorum card.

Your local rules lawyer here. (Silly clarification) Laura's once per game is to draw and play from the Quorum Deck. No player failing to hold the title of President may play from the Quorum Hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
My name is Watt wrote:

If you're using the strict FAQ secrecy rules, I'd say that it's definitely illegal. You're not allowed to say which skill types, colors, or strengths you played. This would seem to logically infer that you also can't say which ones you didn't play (as otherwise "I didn't play red, blue, green, or yellow" would be legal but "I played purple" would not).

If you're not using the FAQ's secrecy clarifications, then whatever your group agrees to is fine.

No matter which way you're playing, it's always ok to point out when you can't possibly have played them. "I've only draw 1 red and I just played a maximum firepower" is pretty convincing evidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James McMurray wrote:
My name is Watt wrote:

If you're using the strict FAQ secrecy rules, I'd say that it's definitely illegal. You're not allowed to say which skill types, colors, or strengths you played. This would seem to logically infer that you also can't say which ones you didn't play (as otherwise "I didn't play red, blue, green, or yellow" would be legal but "I played purple" would not).

If you're not using the FAQ's secrecy clarifications, then whatever your group agrees to is fine.

No matter which way you're playing, it's always ok to point out when you can't possibly have played them. "I've only draw 1 red and I just played a maximum firepower" is pretty convincing evidence.

Absolutely. You can also point out when it's public knowledge that a destiny deck either did or did not have cards of a certain color (Investigative committees et.c.) , or that your hand did or did not have cards of a certain color. The key being trackable-public-knowledge. Of course, you may attempt to lie about this.

My advice about bombing skill checks is to either:
(a) The skill check is important, bomb it to bits.
(b) The skill check is not so important, but your circuitry is acting up, play negatively using colors that could come from almost anyone. Green is good for this, as Boomer is the only character in the base game without green in her skill set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
My name is Watt wrote:

I've always played that you can't claim anything about which particular cards you did or did not play after the skill check. You can certainly claim that you played positively and not negatively (i.e. you can always say you're not a Cylon.) You can also point out factual things like "I don't draw any red cards". But things like "I played green cards" or something like that are out. This is one of those rules that's easily bendable if a group prefers it, though.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just had my second game. A few more questions:

1. Are statements when a player has the opportunity to contribute cards towards Skill Checks such as "Sorry, can't help you" or "No, I don't have any of those colors" allowed?

2. Does a Skill Check to get out of the Brig count as an Action? And can this Skill Check only be accessed by the player currently in the Brig?

3. If a Cylon Attack Card is drawn, and a particular ship has had all their tokens deployed on the game board, does this mean that that particular ship (e.g. raider or heavy raider or basestar) does not need to be placed in the designated Space Area as indicated by the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodya wrote:
Just had my second game. A few more questions:

1. Are statements when a player has the opportunity to contribute cards towards Skill Checks such as "Sorry, can't help you" or "No, I don't have any of those colors" allowed?

Yes.

Quote:
2. Does a Skill Check to get out of the Brig count as an Action? And can this Skill Check only be accessed by the player currently in the Brig?

Yes and yes.

Quote:
3. If a Cylon Attack Card is drawn, and a particular ship has had all their tokens deployed on the game board, does this mean that that particular ship (e.g. raider or heavy raider or basestar) does not need to be placed in the designated Space Area as indicated by the card?

Yes. You are limite dto the componetns given. And if you happen to have some, but not all of the requested tokens, current player decided what gets to be placed where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Yes. You are limite dto the componetns given. And if you happen to have some, but not all of the requested tokens, current player decided what gets to be placed where.

Does this mean that they get to choose to move some of the current raiders/heavy raiders/basestars on the game board to the Space Areas indicated by the Cylon Attack Card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodya wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Does this mean that they get to choose to move some of the current raiders/heavy raiders/basestars on the game board to the Space Areas indicated by the Cylon Attack Card?

No ships already on the board stay where they are, you are limited to placing those ships that remain in the supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Eno
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodya wrote:

This is one of the questions that needs to be decided by each playgroup.

In one of my playgroups, we allow them, because it's an extremely casual group and those kinds of statements really aren't subject to abuse or much scrutiny.

In the other, more cutthroat group that I play with, such statements are strictly illegal - the most you could say is "I don't draw those colors" if that's true, because that's public information. It's forbidden to give out any information about what's in your hand, with the exception of being able to answer questions about playing cards for other players (ie, "Do you have a Strategic Planning to play if I use FTL Control?").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
kushiel wrote:
Dodya wrote:

This is one of the questions that needs to be decided by each playgroup.

In one of my playgroups, we allow them, because it's an extremely casual group and those kinds of statements really aren't subject to abuse or much scrutiny.

In the other, more cutthroat group that I play with, such statements are strictly illegal - the most you could say is "I don't draw those colors" if that's true, because that's public information. It's forbidden to give out any information about what's in your hand, with the exception of being able to answer questions about playing cards for other players (ie, "Do you have a Strategic Planning to play if I use FTL Control?").

Ok, suppose it's a cutthroat game, and if "Sorry, I can't help you" (and that character is eligible to draw those colors) doesn't cut it, what about just "Sorry"? I guess that's ok? And a "Nope" would be ok too, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
Dodya wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

No ships already on the board stay where they are, you are limited to placing those ships that remain in the supply.

I think I get ColtsFan76's point now -- the limited ships from the supply can be placed in any Space Area as the current player sees fit (possibly in a more advantageous area).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodya wrote:
DaveD wrote:
Dodya wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

I think I get ColtsFan76's point now -- the limited ships from the supply can be placed in any Space Area as the current player sees fit (possibly in a more advantageous area).

Right, if you have to place 6 raiders but only have 3 left in the supply, then the current player places those 3 ships in any of the 6 "slots" reserved for raiders. The Current player will try to place them in the most advantageous spot for his team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
By the way, are there any differences between the 1st & 2nd printings of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodya wrote:
By the way, are there any differences between the 1st & 2nd printings of the game?

2nd printing has an "only one Executive Order may be played per turn" caveat printed on the Executive Order cards. there may be other differences, but that's the one I can think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Eno
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodya wrote:
Ok, suppose it's a cutthroat game, and if "Sorry, I can't help you" (and that character is eligible to draw those colors) doesn't cut it, what about just "Sorry"? I guess that's ok? And a "Nope" would be ok too, right?

Again, that's something you should decide with your group. As long as everyone is happy with the way you play, it doesn't matter what that way is.

In the case of my hardcore group, we decided that if you don't bid cards, you just say "Pass." Unless you want to point out that you don't draw the correct colors for the test (ie, volunteer information that's public anyway), you can't say more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
kushiel wrote:
Dodya wrote:

Again, that's something you should decide with your group. As long as everyone is happy with the way you play, it doesn't matter what that way is.

In the case of my hardcore group, we decided that if you don't bid cards, you just say "Pass." Unless you want to point out that you don't draw the correct colors for the test (ie, volunteer information that's public anyway), you can't say more than that.

sounds good to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodya wrote:
Thanks for the speedy replies guys. :)

3. What do you do if you're the Cylon player and feel like blushing or cracking up when someone accuses you? :D

1) I believe yes. and yes

2) tell everyone before the game to look at their card a good 10 seconds so cylon identities can be "protected". Also, suggest reading just the bolded ability description "can cause loss of morale" as opposed to reading the whole cylon ability. Later when you reveal you can read out loud the whole thing.

3) I was cracking up a little when I was a human and I was asked. It's part of the game to get nervous when accused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.