BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: What are the top hits with your kids from the holidays? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, now that things are opened...What are your kids excited about?

1) For my son, Heroscape Master Set: Swarm of the Marro took up about 4 hours yesterday. The clear popular gift for my 8 year-old. My 6 year-old daughter played for a good 90 minutes with him too. They do the simple version. Lots of fun. After that initial game, they both just played imaginatively making stories for what was going on. This really took the majority of their day.

For my daughter, Rush Hour. She is after it again and again. She is doing both the greens and a few of the blue challenges. She is having a lot of fun with it, but I am trash talkin her saying she won't be able to do it. She gets fired up and does it to prove me wrong. I wasn't sure how this would go over, I was thinking it would be the type of game I would have to do with them. She is getting it on her own and using it a lot!

2) Active Life Outdoor Challenge Was the number 2 winner. The Wii was new this Christmas and the kids weren't really interested in it. They have played Mario Kart on the Gamecube and love it, but will stop on their own about after 30 minutes. I thought they would want to tear into this thing and they didn't. So the wife and I set up this mat for the Outdoor Challenge last night and tried it. My daughter joined right in. My son went back to Heroscape. I had to basically force him to give it a try. I guess any game that gets you jumping, racing, and getting hyper is going to be a hit. This was used only for about an hour before bedtime. They have asked today to try it again, but haven't begged and are after Rush Hour and Heroscape instead.

3) Creepy Freaks I found a seller on Ebay with cases of the whole shabang at a good price. The kids are very excited to try this game out. We haven't sat down with it yet. The pieces are now on the Heroscape set up having it out with the figures from Heroscape. Good ol' imaginative play!

So again, what is a hit with your kids? I always like getting new ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Is Not Geddy Lee
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape should be a big hit with my nephews. I will ask them later in the week. At my house, The Kids of Catan has been a hit and Zooloretto will be opened this afternoon, which I know will be huge over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra Sherwood
United States
COLORADO SPRINGS
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one we have had a chance to play is Pyramid of Pengqueen with my 7-year-old son. He loved it and asked immediately to play again. A good sign. Hopefully, we will have a chance to pull out The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac and Castle Panic later in the week when things calm down some.

We gave my 5-year-old nephew Spooky Stairs (the Boo Who version) and helped my mom pick out Caves & Claws. He really enjoyed Boo Who and I am looking forward to hearing how the other one goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Peterson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giro Galoppo has been a big hit with both my 6 yo daughter and my 3 yo son. I wasn't so sure about my son playing this game, but he has a good time. Not much strategy on his part, but he can pick a card to move his horse and his randomness makes it kinda fun (plus it doesn't hurt that he won the first game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gulo Gulo is a huge hit with us. Seen over 15 plays already! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zaleski
United States
Wintersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dad can't wait for holidays to aquire new games, so my kids didn't get many. Mom did find Scrabble Junior, which I think is more for her. I'm sure they'll start playing soon since my 5 year old is working on that literacy thing.

We did get a ton of puzzles. We've probably done all of the 100-300 piece puzzles we have 2 times or more, so they got another group of puzzles to put in the rotation. Other than that it was a ton of action figures for the boys, mainly Star Wars ones to get added to the Cars collection.

I may just pick up another kid game in the next order coming up though......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games-wise
Sorry! Sliders - VERY big hit!! Asks to play it over & over again, and wants to try all the track variations.
Sushizock im Gockelwok - my daughter did NOT like this which is a bummer because I thought she'd really like it. On the bright side, my husband and I LOVED it and immediately played a second game just the 2 of us!
Animal Upon Animal - a semi-hit, it is growing on her and she beat me yesterday and then wanted to play solo--a good sign. I feel she actually might be a little too old for this????

Logic Puzzles: This came up in a very good thread in the Recommendations Forum. I chose:
Chocolate Fix - Very big hit with her and both me and my husband. These puzzles are addictive and FUN!
North Pole Camouflage- also a hit. I like this too, but find it harder in general, but still very satisfying. So far, what I am happiest about for both puzzles is that you can't "cheat" in any way in order to figure them out. Not even by using process of elimination!! They make you think and are fun at the same time!!!!

I told my daughter that I had to find more of these puzzles to buy and she agreed!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal Upon Animal & Go Away Monster!. Man they love those games. Oh yeah, and Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed which they got last year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gross
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids play Killer Bunnies every chance they get. We got eight expansions at a half price sale and have worked in half off them so far. We'll use green today.

We will also be playing Medici for the first time today. Modern Art is a big hit with them so they should like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Blumberg
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Long Shot and The Adventurers. After spending 6 hours painting all of the figures from The Adventurers game, I can't get them away from the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced my younger cousins to Bamboleo and Hang in There this Christmas. They range from 8-15 years old and were big fans of both games. However, that group still will play spoons before just about anything else (sigh).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
From hearing the most frequent phrases out of my mouth this Christmas, you'd think my kids have been playing a lot of "Stop Hitting Your Sister", "Clean Up This Mess", and oddly enough, "Stop Eating The Table"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip O'Brien
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife got Ingenious as her present and got to open it a week before christmas. She has played it previously online, and it has got constant play since then.

My 11 year old daughter got The Downfall of Pompeii which has also been a huge hit.

The only game which got a luke-warm reaction was Hive which I gave to my 9 year old son. Hopefully it will grow on him, he did master The Battle for Hill 218 after playing it online against the computer, so hopefully I can get him to do the same with this. The most annoying thing is that he uses the Hive zip bag to hold his Nintendo DSi games, not the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, Clue - Secrets and Spies are big with my 9 year old son. Spongebob Squarepants Operation is a hit with my 6 year old daughter. I bought Stone Age the day after Christmas and my son and I have been playing every day since. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fowler
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest hit has been Pack & Stack followed by Infinite City. Both games are easy to pick up (rules wise) and are fun for both kids and adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil,

I was thinking HIVE would be a great game to try out with the kids; my son especially loves insects.

Do you know why it hasn't been well received?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Creepy Freaks had a lot of potential but I found it to be be a bad version of chess. Also the first player wins 75% of the time. Looks cool for the kids though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Plumley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't have any children, but I have a 10-year-old brother who I play many games with. Sadly, he's often a good judge of how my gaming group, who aren't really heavy board gamers, will receive things.

Most of our gaming has been split between two things: Blokus/Blokus Trigon, and Pizza Box Football. We had Blokus Trigon for a week before Christmas, and he got regular Blokus as a gift. We play both extensively, and I have to say that it's definitely a game that, while marketed towards kids and very accessible for them, it's a brilliant game that any age can be enthralled by.

And, to my great surprise, Blokus and Blokus Trigon, while using similar rules and methods, are entirely different games, and require different strategies. I defeated him soundly in every game of Trigon we played, but when it came to standard Blokus, which he'd played a few rounds of in school, he kicked my butt because I played it like it was Trigon.I was really impressed by that.

Pizza Box Football has also been a big hit. My brother only has a passing interest in football, same for sports in general, but we've been having a great time with this. It can be played to four different levels of technicality, slowly adding in features and options as you go, which makes it scalable to the players' abilities.

Sure, it's a bit dice-heavy, but, especially for kids, there is a basic, but strong level of strategy to it, and a lot of it comes down to trying to anticipate and outguess the opponent, through secret action selection.

It is an exciting game, even for those who aren't sports fans, and features game modes that last five minutes, or an hour-plus.

Lately, a game of Carcassonne has been a common request from him, as well, which we haven't played in awhile, and he's been getting annoyingly clever at... but that's a story for another day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Manning
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two most enjoyed 'round the table:

Qwirkle
and
Secrets of the Sea (aka Secrets of the Sea)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, scratch the previous post.....the BEST game is now Hansa Teutonica which all 3 of us have played 3 times so far and are all itching to play again. My 8-year old daughter has understood, developed very good strategies, and pretty much almost mastered the game. She hasn't won yet, but usually takes 2nd place!!!

This was a gift from Super Secret Santa and Super Secret Elf--THANK YOU!!!!!

It is a definite hit with us and has affected my non-gaming spouse and daughter like no other game has!!!!!!! They want to play!!

YAY!!!

kiss

EgorjLileli wrote:
Games-wise
Sorry! Sliders - VERY big hit!! Asks to play it over & over again, and wants to try all the track variations.
Sushizock im Gockelwok - my daughter did NOT like this which is a bummer because I thought she'd really like it. On the bright side, my husband and I LOVED it and immediately played a second game just the 2 of us!
Animal Upon Animal - a semi-hit, it is growing on her and she beat me yesterday and then wanted to play solo--a good sign. I feel she actually might be a little too old for this????

Logic Puzzles: This came up in a very good thread in the Recommendations Forum. I chose:
Chocolate Fix - Very big hit with her and both me and my husband. These puzzles are addictive and FUN!
North Pole Camouflage- also a hit. I like this too, but find it harder in general, but still very satisfying. So far, what I am happiest about for both puzzles is that you can't "cheat" in any way in order to figure them out. Not even by using process of elimination!! They make you think and are fun at the same time!!!!

I told my daughter that I had to find more of these puzzles to buy and she agreed!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rutz
United States
Onalaska
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't Break the Ice was hard to get the kids to stop playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, MMB, that is excellent news!! We haven't broken out our copy of Hansa Teutonica yet, in part because I wondered whether it would appeal to my daughter (theme would be the issue rather than mechanics).

Our hits have been A la carte, Hi-Bol, Hyper Slide, Arena: Roma II. Ghost Stories and Shadow Hunters are also in high demand but, for different reasons (length, number of players), that demand may not be met. Truth is, our daughter (age 12) is probably more of a gamer than either one of us is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games that they (two boys aged 6 and 3) got this Christmas the most popular have been RattleSnake, Hungry Hungry Hippos and Abandon Ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Richter
United States
Springfield
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have You Herd? is currently hot with my 6 year old daughter. It is essentially a Dice rolling game in which you get rabbits, sheep, pigs, and cows on D12s (along with some other symbols that trigger events).
You convert 5 rabbits to a Sheep, 2 sheep to a Pig, 2 Pigs to a Cow and 2 Cows to a Horse. He or She who gets at least 1 of each animal wins.

It was interesting to watch my daughter make the connection that you had to build up Pigs to trade them off to increase Cows, which let you get that final horse.

Nice 15 minute family game. Plus the holding container is a Silo that functions as a dice cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Manimals and the add-on Manimals: Dinos 1 have been big for us. It works well with the kids, especially when using the "adult penalty" rule (in each round, deduct one correct card for each victory point -- adults only).

Our daughter (6) loves the regular edition and our son (5) prefers the dinosaur one. We have also played the European animals edition, but it's not as compelling. Good game that takes a little over a half-hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.