Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbee questions LOS and Recover rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry White
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I am new to CC and ran over this following situation....this board seems to have the answers to lots of questions so does anyone have the answer and associated rules for these two?

Line Of Sight: A unit is in a orchard hex sighting along a hex-side to a wood hex with a range of 2. On one side of the hex-side is an orchard hex and the other side of the hex-side is a building. The hex-side is a fence. My LOS does not touch anything in the orchard or any of the buildings:
1) Can the units see each other, and if so
2) what is the hindrance applied to the FP of the firing unit in the orchard?

Recover:
Can you play a Recover card and recover units that were activated and broken by a previous order in the same turn? I was moving a group of units and they were hit with op fire and broken so I ended my order and my next order was a recover order.

Great game Chad.....I don't expect anything except that the game will get better as I learn more about it .....

Jerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JerryD wrote:
I am new to CC and ran over this following situation....this board seems to have the answers to lots of questions so does anyone have the answer and associated rules for these two?

Line Of Sight: A unit is in a orchard hex sighting along a hex-side to a wood hex with a range of 2. On one side of the hex-side is an orchard hex and the other side of the hex-side is a building. The hex-side is a fence. My LOS does not touch anything in the orchard or any of the buildings:
1) Can the units see each other, and if so
2) what is the hindrance applied to the FP of the firing unit in the orchard?

Recover:
Can you play a Recover card and recover units that were activated and broken by a previous order in the same turn? I was moving a group of units and they were hit with op fire and broken so I ended my order and my next order was a recover order.

Great game Chad.....I don't expect anything except that the game will get better as I learn more about it .....

Jerry

The units can see each other, as the los does not touch a blocking feature. It does cross a hindrance (the fence) so the hindrance will be -1.

Recover cards activate players, not units, so when a player plays one, he get to try to rally all his broken units, whether they have been previously activated or not. (And unit which has not been activated prior to beeing rallied may be activated later the same turn.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) Can the units see each other

Yes. The LOS didn't touch an obstacle in an intervening hex [rule 10.2].

Quote:
1)2) what is the hindrance applied to the FP of the firing unit in the orchard?

1 for the Fence [rule 10.3].

Quote:
Can you play a Recover card and recover units that were activated and broken by a previous order in the same turn?

Yes. Recover doesn't activate units, it activates a player [rule O22.1].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry White
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thanks

Great answers and very quick service...

Thanks again and I hope that you all have had a good holiday season and that next year will be everything that you are hoping for...

Jerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar question, but what if the LOS was exactly along a stone wall.

For example, say on map 3, would a unit in O9 be able to see another unit in N7? They are two hexes apart with the LOS running exactly along an intervening wall. I think they have no LOS to each other according to the rules but that has always bothered me as the wall is so narrow it seems hard to believe it would block LOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
You are correct - the LOS is blocked. Any LOS that crosses a wall (or hedge) that is not on the hexside of the firing or target hex is blocked. The wall (or hedge) is an obstacle:

For those who don't have the map handy:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply and the picture as well! That is going above and beyond the call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
capadotia wrote:
Thanks for the reply and the picture as well! That is going above and beyond the call.

Actually that's the norm for Richard. He's pretty helpful. And never sarcastic either, which makes me wonder why he hangs around the 'Geek... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.