Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a well built province with one, two or more buildings and just that you happen not able to defend it against expected enemy attack from other player then I suggest the player who encounter this circumstances not to try to defend a hopeless situation but to incite peasant rebellion by taking tax be it gold or rice when that particular province has been emptied of garrison but one unit of army.

This tactic would help to try to prevent the enemy from getting the points from the buildings in it.

This tactic which would only work when
1. The province is already taxed once or more before in that particular year

2. Taxation of either gold or rice precede both battle A and B and

3. You need to make sure that that particular province be without any army but the compulsory one when you tax that province AGAIN.

If successful the province will get neutralized hence destroying all the buildings in it. Now the enemy will be deprived of those points that he or she expected to steal from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ansgar Ashal
Sweden
flag msg tools
Re: A tactic not to win but to deprive enemy his or her victory(rare circumstances)
Just got the game and started reading the manual. What you write seeems logical, though all revolt markers is taken away after the winter period. Correct? So the only chance to get more than 2 revolt markers is in summer or fall.

Question: If I conquer a province from another player, I also conquer the buildings in it? But when it comes to a draw, all buildings is destroyed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: A tactic not to win but to deprive enemy his or her victory(rare circumstances)
Yes all buildings in the province get destroyed when the peasant rebellion win or when it's a tie between players.

To do this tactic(scorch earth) you only need at least 1 revolt marker which means at the very least a single taxation before you tax it again(1 revolt marker is already in it) in which case you will fight with at least qa single peasant army after which in the event you're successful the marker gets added(but the tactic is relying that you fail instead) or the province gets neutralized.

Actually I've played almost 20 games of Shogun and I'm only forced to do this tactic once. None of the other players had thought that I would do this. I basically destroyed the buildings(a castle and a temple) in a province by instigating peasant rebellion to deny another player his points as he was expected to attack it and I built another castle and temple in two other provinces in the same region in the same season afterward to regain building dominance in the region.

If you are bound to lose a precious province might as well burn it to the ground and let the would attackers grind their teeth arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.