Jonathan Rollings
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two questions regarding the use of the Hospital card:

1. At what point do you gain a star (if you choose this option), and can this be done before rolling and resolving events?

2. Can you use the ability to pay 1 star for 1 resource more than once per turn (e.g. 2 stars for 2 resources? I recall that other card abilities may be used more than once per turn, but are not stacked (i.e. having two Town Halls does not allow you to search for cards for free).

Here's the card text for reference:
"Once per turn, you either gain 1 star or pay 1 star to receive 1 resource of your choice."

I'd appreciate any insight as the card almanac doesn't elaborate much on this one.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You can take the star anytime when it's your turn.
German FAQ: http://www.siedeln.de/faq/524_1082_de.html

2. You can use the ability only once per turn (as stated on the card).
German FAQ: http://www.siedeln.de/faq/171_315_de.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rollings
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the response. I think I get the picture from Google’s admittedly poor translation of the FAQ. It sounds like it would then be possible to draw the Riots event and immediately take a star to combat it. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rechecked in the German Catan forum and got the answer that the FAQ for question 1 is misguiding. The correct answer is: You can take the star anytime in your turn after the dice roll is resolved. So your last idea isn't possible (even if it would be possible to get the star at the beginning of your turn you wouldn't be allowed to interrupt the event card with your Hospital action).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rollings
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Great, thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.