Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Golovanov
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!
I'm a new boardgamer from Russia, and have a question.
What the best sleeves for BSG?
I need "perfect fit" budget sleeves.
I don't like free spaces at sides (but maybe a little tolerance is OK).
Which I found:
1. Fantasy Flight
2. Mayday Games
3. Ultra Pro
4. Swan Panasia
5. TBG
What to choose (in descending order)?
Or maybe there is other manufacturers which are available at eBay or online with worldwide shipping?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mayday:

http://maydaygames.com/index.php/gaming-accessories/sleeves/...

http://maydaygames.com/index.php/gaming-accessories/sleeves/...

Fantasy Flight and Ultra Pro don't have the exact sizes, if I'm not mistaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodya wrote:

Sorry, just can't get over the irony of FFG having their own line of sleeves, yet no sleeves to fit one of their games ! If that is true, that is. Don't have BSG so don't know about the card size, but generally their small and large cards come in fairly standard size.

Brian (ColtsFan76), not the same size as AH small and larges? Or anyone else with both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Dodya wrote:

Sorry, just can't get over the irony of FFG having their own line of sleeves, yet no sleeves to fit one of their games ! If that is true, that is. Don't have BSG so don't know about the card size, but generally their small and large cards come in fairly standard size.

Brian (ColtsFan76), not the same size as AH small and larges? Or anyone else with both games.

It's true.

They have neither 43 X 65 MM nor 57.5 X 89 MM sleeves (BSG card sizes are 41 x 63 MM and 57.5 x 88.5 MM). Their closest sizes are 41 x 63 MM (too tight a fit, I think) and 63.5 x 88 MM (slightly too wide).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noticed in another thread a mention that the cards are the same size as AH cards, in which case the 63x41mm small-sleeves should fit them. I've penny sleeved my large AH cards, but I think FFG has same size sleeves as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Noticed in another thread a mention that the cards are the same size as AH cards, in which case the 63x41mm small-sleeves should fit them. I've penny sleeved my large AH cards, but I think FFG has same size sleeves as well.

http://maydaygames.com/index.php/gaming-accessories/sleeves/... :

Quote:
Unfortunately we have run across a rather large problem with our yellow (Mini USA) sized sleeves. Our Mini USA card sleeve size was also based on some other company's sizing claims that some really popular games were compatible with the Mini USA sleeves, they are for 41 MM X 63 MM cards. The following games are closer 43 MM X 65 MM, right in between our USA Mini and Euro Mini sizes and do NOT work with the Yellow USA Mini size:

Arkham Horror and expansions
Battlestar Galactica and expansions
Chaos In The Old World
Middle Earth Quest
Talisman and expansions
And others

And I just measured it myself. The small cards are 42 x 64 MM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodya wrote:
Arkham Horror and expansions
Battlestar Galactica and expansions
Chaos In The Old World
Middle Earth Quest
Talisman and expansions
And others

And I just measured it myself. The small cards are 42 x 64 MM.

My Talisman cards measure the same, but fit in the Arcane Tinmen sleeves for 63x41mm cards (same for CitOW and MEQ, as AH cards are the same size, don't see a problem there either). I was worried about them not fitting (because of the measurements), but they do. I think the FFG sleeves of that size fit, IIRC, it was a specific Mayday sleeves issue of not fitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Anyone with the FFG sleeves who can confirm this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lawrence
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the USA yellow FF sleeves for my BSG game and they are a little snug but after a play or 2 they work great. I use them for the skill and destination cards and have no problems at all. They even shuffle great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the FFG sleeves as well (yellow and green) and have found them excellent. I didn't notice any unusual snugness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Oh well, at least Mayday's sleeves are cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little late to the party, but I have used FFG sleeves for my BSG (and Pegasus expansion) and found no issues at all. I used the Mini American (yellow) and Standard American (green) sizes. They fit perfectly and seem to me to be really good quality.

The only gripe I have is that sometimes the sleeve lengths are ever so slightly different from pack to pack, which can be like having "marked" cards if you have only a few of a certain length in a deck. Spreading them out helps with this. It has only happened a few times (and not with BSG). They are still good sleeves, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobold wrote:
The only gripe I have is that sometimes the sleeve lengths are ever so slightly different from pack to pack, which can be like having "marked" cards if you have only a few of a certain length in a deck. Spreading them out helps with this. It has only happened a few times (and not with BSG). They are still good sleeves, I think.

Hmm, I thought this was just an issue with my penny sleeves, but sorta glad to hear other manufacturers have this issue as well, makes me feel even better about sleeving cheap cool .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Tobold wrote:

Hmm, I thought this was just an issue with my penny sleeves, but sorta glad to hear other manufacturers have this issue as well, makes me feel even better about sleeving cheap cool .

Oh, definitely. It happens with all the sleeves I have ever used. The last time it happened with FFG sleeves, it was with a new pack I was using to finish off cards in Middle-Earth Quest. I noticed when I tapped the deck together that the last few cards stood out from the others as a result. I had some spare sleeves of the same size, so I swapped them out. It can be annoying, as they aren't the cheapest sleeves, especially here where I live, but I like the quality and still fancy using them. I use the cheap Ultra-Pro sleeves too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've noticed the Ultra Pros come in about 3-4 different lengths (even though the packet reads the same size for all) and about 3 different widths. I'm so anal-retentive, decks have to match length and width, so when I added Innsmouth Horror to my AH mix, spent about 3 hours just unsleeving, sleeving and resleeving cards to make individual decks have only size sleeve in them whistle .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha-ha, Rauli, I can relate. It's nice to know that there are others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobold wrote:
Ha-ha, Rauli, I can relate. It's nice to know that there are others.

3 hours sleeving today, 2 of those hours were for sleeving all of my Arkham Horror's small cards (691 total) laugh .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
3 hours sleeving today, 2 of those hours were for sleeving all of my Arkham Horror's small cards (691 total) laugh .

Ha! I received a parcel yesterday with Dominion: Seaside, Tales of the Arabian Nights, and 1250 sleeves (FFG Euro, American and Mini Euro). I watched a film with my wife, then got stuck into some sleeving work while watching a game on TV (English Premiere League - Wolves vs Man City). When I looked again, it was 2AM, yet all I had managed to sleeve was Dominion: Seaside and Fury of Dracula. This morning, before coming to work, I sleeved Ghost Stories. It really does take a lot of time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schneiduch
Germany
Cologne
born in Brasov, RO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also measured and sleeved all my cards from BSG + Exodus Exp. + Pegasus Exp.
The small BSG cards are exactly 41.5x63.5mm and the large cards are 57x89mm. As a result I sleeved them with Mayday Games Mini USA (41x63mm) and Mayday Games USA Chimera (57.5x89mm), all standard thickness. It seems as the Mini USA are a bit larger, 42x64mm to be precise, so they fit perfectly. The USA Chimera are also larger so the larger cards are a little loose in them.

What I don't understand is how anyone could fit the large cards in Standard USA 56x87mm sleeves, as some have mentioned, and why put the small ones in Mini Chimera sleeves 43x65mm (they would fit too loose.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JasX X
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R0Sch wrote:
Mayday Games Mini USA (41x63mm) and Mayday Games USA Chimera (57.5x89mm),

I tried Mayday mini USA sleeves (standard) but had problems
a) The standard thickness sleeves have too much size variation and about 15% were too small to fit small BSG cards into
b) the standard thickness sleeves were a generally pants / akward to shuffle / eventually got slightly damaged anyway / cards stuck together

I resleeved to the Mayday mini USA sleeves (premium thickness)
a) all fitted perfectly
b) overall it was a *much* better result, cards were easy to shuffle and didn't stick together *much* nicer to handle and nothing so far has penetrated the solid slabs of plastic my cards are entombed in

It's definitely well worth the couple of extra bucks to do the whole set in premium sleeves. Plus cheaper overall than buying the standard ones, deciding they're rubbish and then buying the premium ones on top anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Cummins
United States
OVERLAND PARK
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the mayday sleeve guide which says red mini chimera for BSG and ordered a few packs, and the cards are just swimming in the sleeves. Now I need to go get more gonna try the mini USA yellow packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:
Tobold wrote:

Unfortunately, it seems it happens with all kinds of card sleeves from more brands. I can't say it is true with all the brands, but I've had the same problem with UltraPro when I wanted to sleeve cards from Ascension and Star Realms. There was no option not to sleeve them, because a lot of the cards had printing flaws as well (the whole Immortal Heroes set for Ascension, for example).

Come on, publishers, just make good cards and sleeves which are identical on the backs. We don't need sleeves of different sizes per pack, so check your products before they leave the factory. This just happens to often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished sleeving the large cards in the Swan Panasia cards, and they're a great fit. I had to cut off about an inch from the top of every sleeve (or, more accurately, my wife did it while I sleeved) but the end result is a near perfect fit (just enough wiggle room to be able to remove the cards without bending them). Very happy with the result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
they're a great fit. I had to cut off about an inch

I see a contradiction in there.

(There are sleeves of the correct size available this side of the Atlantic.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.