Popular Tags: [View All]
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you can't lose Gun tiles, why each player starts the game with one Gun tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb

I was wondering the same thing.

Since there is a space that converts guns into VPs, having a gun at the beginning makes that space marginally more valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And there's a guns for money space.

I think the reason is to "prime the pump", IE make it so those two spaces are viable to be used on turn 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

I think the reason is to "prime the pump", IE make it so those two spaces are viable to be used on turn 1.

Those spaces can still be used on turn one by the player who takes the 3 Gun tile and/or the Mercenary (plus building(s) with Guns).

DarrinWilliams wrote:

Since there is a space that converts guns into VPs, having a gun at the beginning makes that space marginally more valuable.

That space requires one more Gun so it is of no use if you don't get more Guns. The only space in which you can use a single Gun, is the space that gives $2 (but then it is better to use the 1 Cowboy = $4 space).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
GeoMan wrote:

Those spaces can still be used on turn one by the player who takes the 3 Gun tile and/or the Mercenary (plus building(s) with Guns).

DarrinWilliams wrote:

That space requires one more Gun so it is of no use if you don't get more Guns. The only space in which you can use a single Gun, is the space that gives $2 (but then it is better to use the 1 Cowboy = $4 space).

Since unplaced men count for guns, they can still be used if you hold them back in a round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
GeoMan wrote:

DarrinWilliams wrote:

Since unplaced men count for guns, they can still be used if you hold them back in a round.

Yes, but they don't explain why starting with one Gun each is better than starting with no Gun at all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
GeoMan wrote:

Yes, but they don't explain why starting with one Gun each is better than starting with no Gun at all...

Not sure why they start with 1. I was just commenting on the quote below about needing another gun when players start each round with multiple guns when you factor in unplaced cowboys.

GeoMan wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:

Exactly. But the extra gun you start with makes the spots more attractive to use. It gives you $2 extra, $8 instead of $6 if you get the +3. For the other space, the extra gun gives you 1 extra vp, 2 vp for 4 guns, instead of 3 rounding down to 1 vp.

GeoMan wrote:

There are a bunch of tiles on the starting board that give you a single gun if you build them, opening that space up to someone that didn't get the +3 gun spot or the 3 gun character.

Yeah, it's not huge, but the 1 extra starting gun adds a bunch of little effects to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a bunch of tiles on the starting board that give you a single gun if you build them, opening that space up to someone that didn't get the +3 gun spot or the 3 gun character.

I agree that if you only get one building with a Gun it opens up the 2 Firepower = 1VP space, but it isn't much.

Instead of gaining a single VP from this space there are better places for your cowboys on turn one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Georges
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

In addition, this first revolver chip represents the power of your guy fighting on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Walker
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems flavorful as well. The odds of a fight between a posse with 1 gun and a posse with 0 guns seem much more lopsided then a +1 pip difference would suggest. But 2 guns versus 1, is a bit more realistic...

Sorta stretching it, but it's a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.