Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One game I don't get to play much for some reason is San Marco. One thing I like about it is the mechanic where a player seperates cards into piles and lets his opponent choose which pile he wants (then the player takes the remaining pile.)

I like the fact that the player has to think about what his opponents wants and come up with 2 offers that are balanced, yet at the same time try to lure his opponent into choosing the pile that the player doesn't want for himself. Maybe I'm not explaining that very well, but if you know anything about San Marco, you know what I mean.

Can you think of any other game where a player makes offers to the other players(s), and then gets the leftover from what the others didn't want? I suppose Medici vs Strozzi kind of fits into that category because a player makes an offer that either player must accept.

One game that just came to mind (I didn't even know much about it until I just looked it up now) is Canal Grande. I may have to research that one more.

Others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not quite the same but the drafting Card Distribution Phase in At the Gates of Loyang is somewhat similar.

Each player starts with a hand of 4 cards. During the phase each player will play 1 card from their hand AND 1 card from a central pool.

On my turn I can either:

A) Choose to play a card that is in the pool and one from my turn, OR
B) Add a card from my hand to the pool

When a player takes option A they have to add ALL remaining cards from their hand into the pool.

When a player takes option B they add a card to the pool in the hopes that a better selection of cards will be in the pool next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two-player Notre Dame is also similar. You draw three of your cards and pass two cards to your opponent. They will end up passing one of those cards back to you, so you try to coerce your opponent into giving you back a card that is good for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is called the "Pie rule" - one player "divides" the pie, the other one has the choice, which piece to take.

Used in Hex, Twixt and some other abstract strategy games to avoid the "first player advantage". One does the first move (with, say, white), the other one chooses, if he wants to continue with this move using the white pieces or with the next move using the black pieces..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Before the Wind has something like this. Say you take a card. I can make you an offer on the card. You either have to sell it to me for that price, or pay me that much to keep the card. If your opponent takes a card that will allow them to take 12 gold, I'm likely to bid 5 on it (if the other cards out aren't more useful), so that my opponent is likely to pay me 5 gold to keep it. Their profit becomes 7 gold. If they don't have 5 gold, then I have to pay 5 gold to them for the card, but I'll make a 7 gold profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played it, but Piece o'Cake takes the 'divide the pie' thing very literally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
I've not played it, but Piece o'Cake takes the 'divide the pie' thing very literally.

qwertymartin, you just beat me to the punch. I have yet to play this as well, but after reading the rules it is part of my next game order. This set collection game seems to boil the divide and choose mechanic down to it's essence. Not sure what weight game you are looking for as this is often described as a filler. The player count is 2-5, though, which is a plus in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

Oasis is probably the best direct comparison- hardly surprising, given it was designed by Alan R. Moon and Aaron Weissblum. 3-5 players (5 is definitely best) each have a small, face down deck of cards. Each card allows a specific action.
Each round is divided into 2 phases-
During the first phase each player reveals 1-3 cards from the top of their deck, making these available as an offering to the other players. These cards are turned one at a time, the player can stop after 1 or 2 have been turned, in which case they get to add more cards (unseen) to their deck. These will be available to be drawn in subsequent rounds.
In the second phase, each player in turn selects another player's card offering and executes the actions, passing that player a turn-order marker. In the next round, the player order is determined by the turn order markers.
During the first phase, players balance (a) the attractiveness of their offer, (b) the options it might give opponents, (c) the number of cards they will have available to offer in later rounds.
If a player gets first or second pick, they will have a good range of actions to choose between. So there is incentive to make good cards available to your opponents, so that your offer will be taken early this round, giving you an early pick next round.
A player can offer less than 3 cards - this makes their offer less attractive, but it is the most common way to get more cards in the draw deck for later.
The only time a player can take their own offer is if it is left 'til last, and they are already going last...
If someone is doing too well, it is possible for the rest of the table to boycott their offers. Of course, they might offer really good cards, creating a kind of prisoner's dilemma for the other players...
Oasis is a great game, and often available very cheap!

Otherwise, Ponte del Diavolo uses the pie rule as well.

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to mention Oasis, but the previous poster has already covered it. Another game with a similar mechanic is Andromeda, also from Alan Moon.

In the trading phase, the active player selects cards from his hand, one by one, and put them on the table as his offer, and the other players must do the same. Then he must trade his set, and the player he chooses may take it to his hand or leave it on the table to trade for another player's set. The next player clockwise from the active player has the option to trade his set or put it back in his hand. This continues until only one or no player has a set in front of him.

It's infinitely better than the random draws from Oasis, but unfortunately the game adds a similar amount of randomness with the mechanic of taking players' cubes blindly from a receptacle. However, I still think Andromeda is a much better game.

(Edited several times for clarity.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.