Subject: Strategies for CCP in Civil War scenario? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Hung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I found it quite hard for CCP to win before 1950, if it could really win.

A BG of two 5-CF CCP armies (a total of 10-CF) can't attack easily a BG of two 8-CF KMT armies (a total of 16-CF) or 8-CF + 3-CF (a total of 11-CF) when the KMT BG is in a city, with fortification. Even though CCP has +1 cadre improvement, the odd ratio is still 1/2 (10/16 -> 1/2, and two column right shift for CCP's cadre level one and +1 improvement, and then two column left shift due to KMT in city and fortification). The odd ratio will even be 1/3 if KMT has +1 improvement! So, what's your strategy to attack as a CCP player?

While CCP guerrilla units are few in amount and stay in Area with no terrain help (e.g., rough), they are quite easy to be eliminated by single 2-CF KMT faction corps. So, it seems not a good idea to have them stay in the original set-up area such as Shandong. So, what's your strategy to send guerrilla to the back of KMT?

So, in overall, will you attack KMT fast in the beginning before KMT player can build up BG of KMT armies, or will you wait and create as many CCP armies as possible before attacking KMT?

Edward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Civil War game can become a really open-ended situation. I did not try to "script" certain best (or even better) ways to play it, and can't advise you on the Perfect Plan.

The combat example you gave above is rather extreme, and if I were Lin Biao I wouldn't try it. Think like a guerrilla; don't attack where the enemy is strong, he can't have 16 CF stacks in fortified cities everywhere. Go someplace else. As for guerrillas, they come and they go - you can always get more of them.

Whether you go for a quick attack to wipe out the KMT early, or wait to build up a larger army, is up to you and what your opponent does. Remember that historically the CCP did not win until mid-1949 anyway.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Hung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
Remember that historically the CCP did not win until mid-1949 anyway.

Brian

Hi Brian,

It is right that CCP won as on April 21 of 1949, Communist forces crossed the Yangtze River, capturing Nanjing, capital of the KMT.

The following is what I extracted and summarized from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Civil_War for other people interested in this history.

In March 1947 the KMT achieved a symbolic victory by seizing the CCP capital of Yenan. CCP's land reform policy enabled it to access an almost unlimited supply of manpower to use in combat as well as provide logistic support, despite the disadvantage in military hardware and suffering heavy casualties throughout many civil war campaigns.

By April 1948 the city of Luoyang fell, cutting the KMT army off from Xian. CCP captured Jinan and Shandong province on September 28, 1948. By late 1948 the CCP captured the northern cities of Shenyang and Changchun and seized control of the Northeast. The Beiping-Tianjin Campaign resulted in the Communist conquest of northern China lasting 64 days from November 21, 1948 to January 31, 1949. By early 1949, CCP secured east-central China.

On April 21 of 1949, Communist forces crossed the Yangtze River, capturing Nanjing, capital of the KMT. The KMT government retreated from Nanjing on April 23 successively to Canton (Guangzhou) until October 15, Chongqing until November 25, and Chengdu before retreating to Taipei on December 10.

Edward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Hung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ehung wrote:

A BG of two 5-CF CCP armies (a total of 10-CF) can't attack easily a BG of two 8-CF KMT armies (a total of 16-CF) or 8-CF + 3-CF (a total of 11-CF) ...

I re-read the rules and found that in Rule 7.1.1:

"KMT: Up to 2 units (i.e., 2 corps, or 1 corp and 1 army)." So, does it mean that KMT can't have a BG consisting of two armies?

Thanks.

Edward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right, the maximum KMT or CCP stack is 1 corps and 1 army, for a maximum possible total of 11 CF (KMT Central Army) or 7 CF (CCP). Sorry, I should have corrected you on that point.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.