BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I need a recommendation from the users. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Carter
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Hope THIS is the right spot to post this question. I was told the last place I posted it was in a Session report (whatever that is) and that I should post it in a forum...so...hope this qualifies. Here goes..

Hi, just learned about Settlers of Catan and all the reviews have been mostly positive as far as age range who enjoys it, replay value, etc. The most frequent complaints have been about edition non-compatibility as far as fitting together, tile colors not matching, quality dropping from one to the next.

So....I just bought a copy as a Christmas gift for my wife. I assumed it would be 4th edition as I just bought it but learned later it's 2nd edition. The guy who sold it to me I could return it if I"m not happy with it. How easy will it be to 1.) find 2nd edition expansions or 2.) make later editions work with it ?

Should I go ahead and take the 2nd edition back? I've heard the 3rd edition is more sturdy but doesn't have interlocking pieces.

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are definitely in the right forum! However, consider adding something about "Settlers version compatibility" to your title. This will make the people who have the answers look at your post.

I only have a Swedish version of Settlers so I can't really help you, sorry. Someone else will soon though, have no fear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the third and fourth editions. Not only are the hexes different types, but more importantly, the cards have different backs for the Development cards do not match, so the extra cards in the 5-6 player expansions will not work. Since the newer version also does not use water hexes, but a frame, it can make the scenarios more difficult to build (not necessarily impossible, but a lot more work than you probably want). If you know you will get the expansions, it's betterto get the 4th edition since the expansions are the current printing and much more easily available.

Also, if you have a question about a specific game, it's far better to post in the General subforum for that game since people who are subscribed to the game are more likely to be able to answer you quickly there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Carter
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Thanks Henrik and you too Matt. I'm new to the forum so it's diffcult , at least for me, to navigate around the site. Can't figure out how to see my latest posts. Anyway, I'm sure I'm breaking a rule just mentioning that so I'll try the help section.

later and thanks for the advice.

gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.