Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several co-op games, and I've played twice over what I have in my collection. I'll list what I've played/own

- Arhkam Horror (and a few expansions)
- Ghost Stories
- Red November
- Pandemic (and On the Brink)
- Castle Panic
- Shadows over Camelot
- Space Alert
- Touch of Evil
- a few others

What I'm interested in is a co-op game (ideally playable by two players, but more is okay) that goes beyond these usual suggestions (because the above games are what I tend to see on co-op game lists).

ALSO, I don't simply want a game with co-op elements. I want a co-op game. Luna Llena is not a co-op game. It's a team-based game. Battlestar Galactica is not a co-op game. It's a team-based game. I'm not interested in team-based games. I'd like a game where it's me and my girlfriend versus the game board. Or, direct me to a game variant. My understanding is that (for example) Last Night On Earth is team-based, but perhaps there's a co-op variant that simulates the zombies without requiring an extra player.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions you might have! I'm in your debt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings is supposed to play well with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanished Planet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't know if there are terribly many co-op games you have not listed.

So... (I don't know if this will appeal, but no harm trying) there are games where the two of you could play co-operatively, trying to achieve the best possible combined score.

Scrabble was the first that occurred to me, because there is a 2-player combined-score world record.

Le Havre seems a more likely choice. Agricola, Maharaja: The Game of Palace Building in India, Roads & Boats and Samurai might suit you too.

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mayhew
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the official variant rules for BSG list a 2-player game and a full co-op game that can be combined to create a 2-player co-op... downside according to me is that both full co-op and the 2-player game lacks all the qualities which makes BSG a fine game. You might like it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
there are games where all players cooperate in having a good time.
latest example in our group would be the story-telling game Zombie Cinema which I can't recommend enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably just tend to see the usual suggestions because there are so few options for co-op games.

You've listed most of them already.

Some others include:
Warhammer Quest: Dungeon crawl adventure. Fun despite awful rules, but long out of print and very pricey.
Feurio!: Puzzle like game about firefighting. Plays cooperatively and competitively.
Witch of Salem: Arkham Horror theme with short, very euro gameplay. Fast, exciting and very challenging.
Apophis: Real time game with Icehouse pieces and cards. Fun, but lacks variety.
Route Z: Print n' play game about armed cars battling off zombie hoards.
The Isle of Doctor Necreaux: super-hero/secret agent (?) co-op; I've never played so I don't know anything about this one.

I did a review of a bunch of co-ops here. I tihnk everything on it has already been covered, but maybe it'll be some help.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Looks like I have a lot of games to investigate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Johnson
Germany
Stade
Nds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.geekdo.com/boardgame/38390/exalted-legacy-of-the-... iam thinking of this one atm its coop too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Dungeon Plungin' It's a light hearted free print and play co-op. Take a hero each and work together to beat the dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister is a two-player co-op game and there is a sequel and a multitude of expansions. I just picked up a copy today for $35. I never got to rip it open yet though. My stomach is placing food above board games. (stupid belly, when will it learn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Realm has an excellent game system that allows player to cooperate or compete freely, so it can be played totally cooperative if you want. It's complex, but worth it. There's no other adventure game as detailed as this one.

Ambush! is a solo game that can be played coop if the squad is divided in two. Works really well.

Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident is also a solo game, but can also be played coop, by dividing the squad amongst players.

Merchant of Venus is not really a coop, but works solo. The solo variant is pretty hard (I've never managed to win it) so maybe two players cooperating to get the set amount of money together may be able to win it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatepig wrote:
Dungeon Twister is a two-player co-op game...

Um, just to note, Dungeon Twister is a cool game, but it is in no way cooperative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP D
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Hatepig wrote:
Dungeon Twister is a two-player co-op game...

Um, just to note, Dungeon Twister is a cool game, but it is in no way cooperative.

Sure it is, just like Titan and Space Hulk.

Seriously though, Tales of the Arabian Nights is not strictly co-op but it's very friendly, might be worth a check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales? Seriously? The only interaction you can have is to hurt the other players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP D
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was being serious, there's very little hurting of other players by my standards.

I suggested mostly because a lot of what appeals to me about Tales is what appeals to me about co-ops.

Oh, and if you want something truly co-op: Space Alert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But the new version of DT, Dungeon Twister 2: Prison includes solo rules, so it can be played coop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Vanished Planet, very different to the other co-operative games I've played (which is most of them), completely co-operative. I don't know how it would go two player since we've never played with that few.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maka wrote:
But the new version of DT, Dungeon Twister 2: Prison includes solo rules, so it can be played coop

You sort of could, but not really. Most of the decisions in DT2 need to be made for the team as a whole. With no breakdown of who controls what, you're essentially playing a solitaire game by making decisions together. An actual cooperative game breaks down player control and responsibilities; a game will never "break down" because players can't agree on something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
maka wrote:

You sort of could, but not really. Most of the decisions in DT2 need to be made for the team as a whole. With no breakdown of who controls what, you're essentially playing a solitaire game by making decisions together. An actual cooperative game breaks down player control and responsibilities; a game will never "break down" because players can't agree on something.

Well, I'd love to try it out but I don't have it. I may eventually get it though...

Anyway, splitting the team in two doesn't seem like much of a problem, and it may work with some small modifications to the rules... it may make the game harder, but it may be fun... The coop variant for Ambush! sort of works in a similar way, and seems to have the same kind of problems...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Musketeers is both co-op and competitive. I just got it for the holidays and is a big hit as a 2 player but also scales well. It's more of a co-op filler which is quite rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Dead of Night?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A strong 2nd for LOTR.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.