Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne O'Keeffe
Ireland
Sligo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.

I was wondering if anybody uses a successful skill level balancer for this game?

I find that with this game, knowledge of the creatures and abilities is too great an advantage when introducing Dirge to new players. I would love to play it more but I know that I'll be winning the game before I even explain the rules.

The obvious solution is for me to use fewer creatures. Has anyone found a successfull balance in the removal of one teams creatures? I was thinking of an experience level table that would determine the handicap (like in the Dungeon Twister rulebook).

Reduction in Creatures for Experienced player when vs:
Experienced Dirge Player -- no handicap
Experienced Gamer -- 1 less creature
Casual Gamer -- 2 less creatures
Newbie -- 3 less creatures

As I'm not in a position to play games very often (once/twice a week) I can't test the above table out much. If anyone has a better solution then please advise (like maybe default starting creatures for each player of a particular skill level).

Thanks for reading, have a great new year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
great question, I have no answer for you on this one, but I understand what you are saying about the skill level and teaching Newbies, good luck with this one - I really like this one, but I don´t get to play it much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question, Wayne!

You could use the recommended choices from the first edition rules:

Bone Player: Cylcops, Sphinx, Gorgon, Phoenix, Minotaur, and War Priest.
Sinew Player: Giga, Sandstalker, Mummy, Centaur, Manticore, and Uat.

These two forces are pretty evenily matched, giving each player access to beat sticks, quick hitters, support guys, and range. Also, these creatures are from the base set, so there are less special abilities to keep track of.

I'd also suggest letting the new person be the Bone player, since it may be a tougher choice choosing what to do first, and giving him a chance to react.

Hope this helps a bit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You draw your army at random, and he picks his out after or before.

For starting just picking at random is great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.