Popular Tags: [View All]
Barak Tutterrow
United States
Clackamas
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 45 minutes of a three player Intrigue + Seaside game, I had this sinking feeling we were doing something wrong.

The random set included 3 attack cards (Pirate Ship, Ghost Ship, and Swindler) and Secret Chamber.

My brother-in-law starts buying up Pirate Ships, Swindlers and Native Villages like they are going out of style (in his defense, there was not many good buys of less than 5), while I try to balance my deck with a couple of Pirate Ships, a couple of Upgrades and some Secret Chambers. My wife went mainly with Treasure Maps, Treasure Cards and tons of Secret Chambers.

Let me preface what went wrong by saying that although we have had Secret Chambers in a deck before, we have never had it in a deck where a lot of Attack cards are used, so it has mainly been used for the +coin ability.

During the entire game, my wife and I are using Secret Chamber to stop the Pirate Ships and Secret Chambers of my brother-in-law, and I am using them to stop him as well. Many times he will play a Native Village (+2 Actions) a Swindler then a Pirate ship. Somehow it just seems wrong that one Secret Chamber should stop both of those attacks, but since the card only says reveal we play it this way!

At one point, thanks to pulling his cards from Native Village, he could have hit us with 4 Swindlers and 3 Pirate Ships, but since we each had a Secret Chamber, it didn't affect us.

I cannot see anything in the instructions that says we cannot use the Secret Chamber to resist ALL those attacks in a row without needing multiples in our hand, and BGG was down.

At the end of the game my wife won (who didn't buy one attack card), I was a close second (thanks to my Pirate Ships being more valuable since they weren't being stopped) and my brother-in-law a distance third.

After the game was over and I still had that feeling that something went wrong, I realized the painful truth: Secret Chamber doesn't directly stop an attack!!! I knew this at one point, but had forgotten since we hardly ever use it.

How would it have affected the game? I can't even begin to imagine how much.

It would have severely hampered both Swindler and Pirate Ship, since we could adjust what came up in the deck next, BUT how could we have possibly resisted 2-3 Swindlers and 2 Pirate Ships in a row? It would have totally changed the dynamics of the game and made it MUCH more interesting.

45 minutes wasted with a broken game that was broken because no one figured out the right way to play Secret Chamber. My wife was too tired to play another game afterwards (likely story, right ), so we ended the games for the night that way. soblue

Lesson learned the hard way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
No offense but... did you read what is printed on the card?

No one reads cards/posts/rules anymore.

What do you mean that meme died out already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Tutterrow
United States
Clackamas
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
No offense but... did you read what is printed on the card?

The crazy thing is, we have read it dozens of times, but because we have never had to use it as a reaction we didn't pay attention to that part, and when it came time to play it as a reaction we just assumed (You know what they say about assuming). I spent so much time reading the rules to make sure we were doing it right, but I was looking at the wrong thing. Couldn't see the forest from the trees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Btutterrow wrote:
I spent so much time reading the rules to make sure we were doing it right, but I was looking at the wrong thing. Couldn't see the forest from the trees.
Yup.

Not sure what to say...I can understand where you're coming from, since on the first play my best friend incorrectly assumed the reaction effect of the card...but I certainly did not, and spent a good while trying to understand it's use, meaning, and benefit, instantly seeing it as "not a moat." It's just a shame that all THREE of you thought it had moat-like properties and didn't have a Secret Chambers veteran in your group to instantly correct you.

I have given you a pity penny of GG

NOTE: We played a two-player game that was the "worst ever" for us...the store was about to close and it was an Intrigue/Basic blend - I forget exactly what was in the game, but I timed the ending too early, attempting to 3-pile him and finish quick, but it just left me with an unusable deck. I'm pretty sure I went out to like a 40-0 lead but ended up losing 57-55 in an incredibly long and seemingly pointless game because we three-piled, but with like Estates, Duchies, and I believe Dukes, so victory points were not cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting attacked by a pirate ship or swindler when you have a secret chamber generally helps you. It's like you are playing a small warehouse. You get to pick what gets pirate shipped or swindled of 7 cards, which tends to mean that you just get to discard two cards of your choice with the pirate ship (or even trash a copper, if you desire, or if the pirate ship already hit the other player) (wrong, see Yaron's post below for correct rules), or discard one card to have it replaced with a likely identical card or at least not very different (swindler on an estate or curse preferably, or potentially a little worse, a 3 or 4 cost action).

I'd guess if you would have played correctly, the margin of victory would have been even larger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Tutterrow
United States
Clackamas
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
I have given you a pity penny of GG

There are advantages for being retarded!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Racah
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rrenaud wrote:
Getting attacked by a pirate ship or swindler when you have a secret chamber generally helps you. It's like you are playing a small warehouse. You get to pick what gets pirate shipped or swindled of 7 cards, which tends to mean that you just get to discard two cards of your choice with the pirate ship (or even trash a copper, if you desire, or if the pirate ship already hit the other player), or discard one card to have it replaced with a likely identical card or at least not very different (swindler on an estate or curse preferably, or potentially a little worse, a 3 or 4 cost action).

I'd guess if you would have played correctly, the margin of victory would have been even larger.

I agree.

However, note that all Reactions are played and resolved before the attack itself is resolved. This means that you can't wait to see if another player was hit by a Pirate Ship before deciding which cards to put on top of your deck with the Secret Chamber.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand the misconception that the Secret Chamber stops attacks. The game kind of spoiled up by presenting as the first reaction card the Moat, which is pretty much the largest denial you can write into a card. When you play the base set where a blue card means attacks are worthless, you get into that Pavlovian mindset. Then, every blue card stops attacks.

If Secret Chamber had been released before Moat, I don't think this problem would have ever arisen.

And I agree that the rules are pretty plain about Secret Chamber, but there is that part of the brain that looks for patterns. Then it becomes a matter of reading the rules and being taught a certain way.

But you caught it eventually, at least.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.