Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all...

I'm really interested in this game because of the theme of city building and using politics and culture to improve your position. However, I've read a few complaints about the colour choices for the components of the game. As a mild red-green colorblind person, I sometimes have difficulty distinguishing subtle colour differences, for example, dark green and brown, or dark blue and purple. This is usually not a problem with games, but occasionally I will have slight problems with certain games.

The complaints I've heard have mostly involved the citizens and buildings, but in fact I'm most concerned about the colours used to differentiate the 2 player area from the 3 player area, etc. This is something I had a problem with in Power Grid, telling the difference between some of the zones on the board (but it is still playable).

Can someone elaborate on what colours are used to differentiate the board areas? Are they also delineated with lines of some kind? Also, what are your thoughts on the colours of the other playing pieces in light of my colourblindness?

Lastly, if you think this game is a bad idea for me, can you suggest another game with a similar city building/culture/politics theme?

EDIT: Just wanted to add, that I have tried to look through the images available, but its hard to tell what I should be looking for. If someone can direct me to a good image that clearly shows some of the colours I would need to be able to differentiate, it would be much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For the board you could have a look at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/193863/la-citta?size=orig...

that should give you a good idea of the colour scheme.

There are three types of hexagons (with different background colours) for different numbers of players.

For the buildings have a look at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/18110/la-citta?size=origi...

There are cultural buildings with white arcs, health buildings with blue arcs, and educational buildings with black arcs. If you have difficulties distinguishing those the game could become painful.

Hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi and welcome on board

I have to admit, that I am not colorblind, so I'll have a hard time seeing the world the way you do, but I'll try to be as helpful as possible.

First of all:
Yes, La Città depends on colors. You have to be able to differentiate between at least white, blue and black.

Look at this picture:

See the "Castello" (all those hex tiles lying next to each other) in the center? Good.
This Castello has one hex with lots of people standing on it. To the right, there is a hex with three black arches.
In the top row of that Castello there are three hexes. The one in the centre has got two blue arches and the one to the right has got two white arches.
If you cannot distinguish those colours, you'll have a harder time on this game.
I woudn't say, that you are totally screwed, since the colours are not totally random but represent something:
- Blue stands for hygienics
- White stands for culture
- Black stands for education
So a fountain or a bathhouse obviously is blue, while the statue, the palazzo and the dome are white and the abbey and the university are black.
And then, there is the hospital with one blue and one black arch.
Basically this is everything you have to remember where colour really matters.
The rest is counting icons and/or people.

Oh .. another picture:

Can you differentiate the colours here? If not, well, let the other players tell you, which citizen bear your colour, since those will raise the value of a building once placed.

I hope, I have helped

Edit:
And another formidable picture:

From top to bottom:
black
white
blue
with black and blue having the black AND blue hospital at the upper right position
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for making the effort to see the world (or at least the world of La Citta) from my perspective.

Based on the pictures you've indicated I don't think I would have problems with the arches. For the player colours, the light blue and pink don't stand out from the grey as much as the other colours, but it seems tolerable.

So my only remaining concern is about the areas of the board that are used depending on the number of players. I think this is done with colour coding, no? What colours are used? Is there some kind of thick line that also delineates the 2 player area for example?

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are colour coded again, yes:

The used hexes are light green for two players, light green + brown for three players and light green + brown + dark green for four players.

The difference of light green and brown ought to be visible here:

Light green in the lower left, brown in the upper right

The difference of dark green and light green ought to be visible here:

Light green to the right and dark green to the left of the castello

Any difference for you there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thanks again Kai. This is exactly the information (and images!) I was looking for but could not find a clear description in the reviews. Very considerate of you.

The light green is very easy to differentiate from both the brown and dark green (it looks ALMOST white to me, especially in the first screenshot). The only concern I would have is that the dark green and brown look fairly similar, but if I understand the layout of the board correctly, these colours are on opposite ends of the board, so this should not present a problem at all!

Thanks again, I am feeling much more comfortable about considering this for purchase now. If I wasn't trying to save up for an avatar I would gladly tip you more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go and get yours today

edit: yes, you understand the layout right: the colors are on opposing ends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much! You're very generous. I noticed you're a game designer so I checked out your site. I downloaded Battle Arena and hope to try it as soon as I get some more dice!

Edit: Also La Città has been bumped up a notch on my wishlist, thanks for all the clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Battle Arena actually is an excuse to do something with those tons of dice I have lying around here

It's got its site at the geek, too: -> Link <-

Hope you like it

Best regards and a happy new year

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Monofas
msg tools
Hello Brian,

I want to buy this game and I am color-blind as well. Do you have any problems playing the game?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lokertis wrote:
Hello Brian,

I want to buy this game and I am color-blind as well. Do you have any problems playing the game?

Thank you.

Hi Steve,

I haven't tried it yet to be honest, it's at the higher end of complexity compared to what I often play, so I've been procrastinating learning it. Also, different types and degree of colour-blindness means it wouldn't be a guarantee for you even if it worked for me. Once I try it out I will let you know, but otherwise I would use the information above to try to sort out how it would affect you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.