David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm trying within reason to support my FLGS, but the economy has claimed more than I can help by myself...

Poll
What's the first thing you think of when you hear of a game store closing?
Man, I should have supported them more. Sad to see another go.
I hope there's an awesome close-out sale.
Other.
      448 answers
Poll created by bippi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I didn't pick that business and the internet is going to leave us all living in isolated spaces with no social skills at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
I start thinking about 2003, the last year I had one in my town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
Glad I didn't pick that business and the internet is going to leave us all living in isolated spaces with no social skills at all.

Not that the social skills at your average game shop are much better...
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly--and with a minor amount of shame--I picked Option 2. whistle

However, there really is something to be said about the tactile experience of being able to physically pick up and examine a game box, which further bolsters point-of-purchase potential. How many times have people made an impulsive buy for this reason alone? You can't get that online, as a keyword search doesn't quite equate passing by an aisle end cap or new release display.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
I'm trying within reason to support my FLGS, but the economy has claimed more than I can help by myself...

Don't blame it on the economy. The board gaming industry and shops are doing very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
My thought is "The realities of the market (online stores, big box stores, small customer base) probably make it hard to run a FLGS and make a decent living." My best wishes to anyone doing it, but I think it's usually hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 3: I don't even know that store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use to love going to my FLGS and looking at all the AH titles and deciding if I should buy this one or this one. Great times. But, its hard to compete with online price, even with shipping factored in. Sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way to make a small fortune in the game business is to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
start with a large fortune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Topper Harley wrote:
bippi wrote:

Don't blame it on the economy. The board gaming industry and shops are doing very well.

Maybe in Germany. Not so in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
What could they have done differently? Are there any lessons that can be learned by any surviving stores to avoid a similar fate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Various degrees of that being a shame, depending on how F, L and good it was. Like everyone else, I've seen it happen (interpreting L as "local enough to at least occasionally visit in person").

I've just seen something that some would say even worse - lose the useful shop without the closing down sale, because it's just moved so far from having anything worthwhile in it that it's barely worth entering even if walking past. This is actually my most L shop as the crow flies (Games Workshop shops are not F or the G I'm interested in) though one I rarely visit. But maybe it will recover one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"crap, where can I play now?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Topper Harley wrote:
bippi wrote:

Maybe in Germany. Not so in the US.
No, the hobby industry has fared pretty decently. For those firmly entrenched in a hobby, you tend to retreat towards it in troubling times even more. For families, a few games are a one-time investment that provides a lot of activity; a more cost-efficient alternative than movies, sporting events, or other typical family outings.

Old ones close, new ones open. It isn't anything new, it's just now everyone assumes it's the economy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Topper Harley wrote:

Actually, the bookstore where they meet for Monday gaming here in town has announced its closing... so if it's anything it's an FlgS, because it's a chain bookstore, and it doesn't really have all that many games I'd purchase anyway.

So, it's not really even a hobby store.

The store close by my house though, I have my birthday present picked-out and all ready to purchase when that glorious day comes.

But I remember hearing the news, and having never gamed there... my honest-to-God first thought (and I say this with a lot of shame) was, "Hey, I bet bananagrams would be cheap..."

Because if it were the establishment *I* game at, I think my first thought would be, "Hey, on the upside, maybe we'll find a place that stays open until 10 with bigger tables..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The #1 reason why the FLGS closes...

Because someone decided they would try to make some money off of their hobby instead of running a business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
What could they have done differently? Are there any lessons that can be learned by any surviving stores to avoid a similar fate?

I hate to say it, but some of the best game stores have great online stores. For example coolstuff has a real store in Florida and st.Louis Mo has miniature market for minis...adapt or die...why should this hobby be an exception to the forces of capitalism?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpiglet wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

I hate to say it, but some of the best game stores have great online stores. For example coolstuff has a real store in Florida and st.Louis Mo has miniature market for minis...adapt or die...why should this hobby be an exception to the forces of capitalism?
Board games are a very narrow market. Every successful store I know branches out to broaden their scope.

Typically, it's not internet sales (you're better off not having the FLGS and just running that by itself). It's combining some number out of Boardgames, Comics, Sports, CCGs, Movies, Video Games, Tournaments... Just finding a way to broaden their line enough to be profitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Rulesjd wrote:

I get plenty of social skills on this geekdo thingy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
Netherlands
Centennial
Colorado (CO)
flag msg tools
badge
New Avatar! So much Excite! Photo credit to Debbie Ohi, who is Awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:

Actually, the bookstore where they meet for Monday gaming here in town has announced its closing... so if it's anything it's an FlgS, because it's a chain bookstore, and it doesn't really have all that many games I'd purchase anyway.

Technically it's not an FLGS, at least in my mind, because it's one of a national chain of bookstores. And the one that we meet in in the south of Denver doesn't seem to be struggling, so I would think it's a demographic of the area issue (or the fact that the one we meet in is in a mall).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish they were going to have a bunch of games on closeout, but since it's only a F but not a L or G (but still an S), it doesn't count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Lil Red Head wrote:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish they were going to have a bunch of games on closeout, but since it's only a F but not a L or G (but still an S), it doesn't count.

Much more, the excess stock is most likely going to be reabsorbed by other stores here in town.

On the upside though, this also makes me feel slightly less bad for the employees of said store. Most often when a chain store bombs, the rank-and-file often find homes in new stores. Yeah, it isn't great, but it's much better than it could be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shrug and carry on with my life. Far more important things happen on a regular basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:

You see, option #1 in the poll has too many qualifications.

My first thought would be "Sad to see another go" without bothering about "Man, I should have supported them more." I have a good friend who has at times been involved in ownership/management of my FLGS store. I also try within reason to support this FLGS, but having done that, if it fails I wouldn't feel I should have done more.

My second thought would sometimes be to look for a closing sale, but not today, as I'm not in an acquisitive mood these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpiglet wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Who was saying that stores shouldn't adapt to the environment? And who said that any that are closing up now did or didn't try to adapt?

Why drag this thread into the done-to-death online vs. brick and mortar debate? I posed a legitimate question stores can ask about ANY business closing, regardless of which medium they use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.