Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game WoW FA for Christmas and had played a sample game tonight. Two things;

#1 I am fairly positive this is a "Most asked" question, but I need to ask anyway. We played on a dining room table and found the cards to be... slippery on it, and they slid around, or "spun" a little everytime you touch them. We had to be a bit "forgiving" in the direction the aircraft was pointing sometimes. Do most of you play using some type of felt cloth? Or something similar? (Can't really afford the official playmats at this time)

#2 In a "head on" pass, do BOTH aircraft fire? (we played as they both do) and also, does it matter "who" picks the damage card first?

We will add in the optional rules after another play or so, as this was just to get the feel of the game. The optional rules look great and seem to really add a lot to the game as well!

Thanks!!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Switch to the miniatures! Just kidding. Over time the cards will lose a bit of the slipperiness, but not much. We usually eat a lot of pancakes and waffles before a game, and the spilled syrup helps. Other than that, Felt would be better than a wood/plastic surface. A throw rug on the table, or playing on carpet, would cause the cards to slip less. Maybe a sheet of fuzzy fabric from a fabric store might be cheap and work.

When cards are close to each other, we'll sometimes weigh them down. Since we do use the miniatures, we only have to worry about the maneuver cards but the Plane cards are still handy for when the miniatures get too close to each other.

So check the linens closet, you might already have what you need. But you've already found the best solution: be forgiving. It's a light hearted game and allowances should be made to keep the game quick and fun. Just like in real life, random shifting air currents can always come up.

2. It could matter depending on what's drawn (instant death for example). I can't recall if there was an actual rule (and I didn't see one on a quick glance). I know we used maneuver deck letters and damage levels. If those are Even Steven, then we'd flip a chit/coin. Do whatever is the most fun without killing the mood. If someone doesn't like to lose and they get the instant death card, it can be a real downer for them so make sure to have something that makes sense and is fair so they can't gripe too much about the process (providing an official rule doesn't already exist that I missed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All shooting is simultaneous, so it doesn't matter which order the cards are drawn - damage is applied at the same time. This means it is possible for 2 opponents to down each other at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for choosing WoW!

Fabs is correct. No matter the order in which you draw, the chance of getting the instant death, a 0, a high damage card or any other specific card remain the same, as long as there are enough damage cards for everybody. Take it easy and enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
We usually eat a lot of pancakes and waffles before a game, and the spilled syrup helps.

It's a light hearted game and allowances should be made to keep the game quick and fun. Just like in real life, random shifting air currents can always come up.

Thanks, we love pancakes!laugh Also, I like the idea of "shifting" air currents can always come up! We both have the same issue of cards sliding, so... if in doubt, No shot! Besides, I am playing this with my wife... she is the one that does the cooking....

Fabs wrote:
All shooting is simultaneous, so it doesn't matter which order the cards are drawn - damage is applied at the same time. This means it is possible for 2 opponents to down each other at the same time.

Fabs: Actually, this DID happen to us last night. My wife and I were BOTH in range and we both fired. I picked up the "Instant explosion" card and my wife picked up her "final" tally that she needed to be shot down. HOWEVER, if the cards were reversed, I still would have had enough points to keep flying, but she would have been blown up. Ah well... such is life and death in the sky.

angiolillo wrote:
Thanks a lot for choosing WoW!

Fabs is correct. No matter the order in which you draw, the chance of getting the instant death, a 0, a high damage card or any other specific card remain the same, as long as there are enough damage cards for everybody. Take it easy and enjoy!

Andrea: I have been wanting this game for a long time. I know that you answer a lot in these forums and that is nice way for designers to learn how their product is working with the fans. Thanks for staying involved.

By the way, I also got for Christmas; WOW Watch Your Back and WOW Burning Drachens!! Sorry, Minis will have to wait...

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a generous Santa Claus!

Yes it is great to be here in contact with players. Really!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul turner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
#1 try a rubber shelf liners the cards will not slip.Also if you can find a blue color theres your sky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a dark blue very small 4X4 blanket in our closet. Fits perfectly over the table, and also works extremely well with the cards from sliding around.

Also... a NOTE about my 2nd question from above about "who" picks from the damage deck first on a head on pass.

Well... My daughter and I were playing our last plane and I needed to get her with 1 point to win, and she needed to shoot me with 4 points against to win. We both were turning and flying in tight circles, Immelmans etc. Finally... here we go, a head on pass. First card both planes are just out of reach, and the we both played straight cards so it ended with our planes almost nose to nose and in range for two damage cards each so we both take hits. She decided to pick her cards first. She picks a 3 and a 1 for a total of 4 and loses with an additional 3 points. I pick my cards... I picked TWO 0's!! So... if I had picked first, she would have wonblush... I felt really bad for her.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I see the point but...

Let's see it from a statistic point of view. Let's say that in the deck there were just a 3, as 1 and two 0s left. Let's say that the 0s are the 1/35 and 2/35 cards of the A deck (the demonstration can be done with more cards, it's just longer).

The cards can be arranged in these 24 ways:
a - 0 (1/35), 0 (2/35), 1, 3
b - 0 (1/35), 0 (2/35), 3, 1
c - 0 (1/35), 1, 0 (2/35), 3
d - 0 (1/35), 3, 0 (2/35), 1
e - 0 (1/35), 1, 3, 0 (2/35)
f - 0 (1/35), 3, 1, 0 (2/35)
g - 0 (2/35), 0 (1/35), 1, 3
h - 0 (2/35), 0 (1/35), 3, 1
i - 0 (2/35), 1, 0 (1/35), 3
j - 0 (2/35), 3, 0 (1/35), 1
k - 0 (2/35), 1, 3, 0 (1/35)
l - 0 (2/35), 3, 1, 0 (1/35)
m - 1, 0 (1/35), 0 (2/35), 3
n - 1, 0 (2/35), 0 (1/35), 3
o - 1, 3, 0 (1/35), 0 (2/35)
p - 1, 0 (1/35), 3, 0 (2/35)
q - 1, 0 (2/35), 3, 0 (1/35)
r - 1, 3, 0 (2/35), 0 (1/35)
s - 3, 0 (1/35), 0 (2/35), 1
t - 3, 0 (2/35), 0 (1/35), 1
u - 3, 1, 0 (1/35), 0 (2/35)
v - 3, 0 (1/35), 1, 0 (2/35)
w - 3, 0 (2/35), 1, 0 (1/35)
x - 3, 1, 0 (2/35), 0 (1/35)

You do not know how the cards are mixed so any of these is equally possible. The chances for you to pick up 4 points are 4 on 24 if you draw first: cases o, r, u and x. But if she draws irst and you draw second, the chances are 4 on 24 anyway: a, b, g, h. I will tell you more: even if you draw one card at a time and you draw first, getting the first and the third card, you have 4 chances out of 24: cases p, q, v and w. The same if you draw one card at a time and you draw second, getting the second and the fourth card: cases c, d, i and j. It is easy for you to check that chances don't change even if she draws one card, then you draw two, then she draws the last. Or the opposite way round.

So it's human to feel sorry, but there is no real reason: the choice of drawing first or second did not give any advantage to amny of you. If you did the opposite, all the chances for each of you to survive or be shot down would have been exactly the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for a great response and comparison to the cards. Math was never my subject... I understand it was just "luck" that the cards worked out that way for me too. I only felt bad because it was her first WoW game.

Thanks!!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
This gets tossed around a bit in other card games, too - Race for the Galaxy in particular. There is a rule that tells you who draws first, but really the chances of the first card being what you want versus the fourth card will always be exactly the same. It's just an unknown. Why not roll a die and take the card that far down? Because it's still the same luck, so why bother? The only time it would ever matter is if the damage deck needed to be reseeded and reshuffled part-way through the draw. Then, if I had the 5, or the explosion had already happened, I'd want to take the cards in the non-reshuffled deck... if the explosion hasn't happened, then someone's about to draw it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played again this week and we both took hits the same turn. So... I did what Jeff suggested earlier in this post; We used maneuver deck letters to see who picked from the damage deck first. My wife had the "C" maneuver and I had a "D" Maneuver deck. BUT, I must admit; I completely agree it really doesn't matter as the 'effects' would be the same "luck of the draw". The problem was... If I remember right... my wife drew a 2 and a 0! and I drew a 5 AND the explosion card! Either one would have shot me down!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.