Subject: Two Players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberto Ullfig
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
How does this game play with only 2 players? Is it worth it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My one play of this game was with two players. I enjoyed it, and do not imagine it would be much different with more players other than more down-time, more conflict over which cards you get, and more opponents to consider in military struggles. The act of choosing cards and optimizing your civilization is alive and well with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is significantly different with more than two players. The fact that it is no longer a zero-sum game is one example of a difference.

The two-player game is fine, especially if you are just learning. There are people here who swear by two-player, but personally, having played it dozens of times, half of which were four-player games, the other 50/50 on two and three player, I am not planning on playing two-player ever again. The difference is that strong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it works well with 2 players, although you should be aware that Pacts are not used in a 2 player game (I think that's the only difference). You still have many tough and enjoyable choices to make.

The sweet spot for this game seems to be 3 players, as 4 players can tend to cause some down time waiting for your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The # players poll on the TtA page (as with every game page) should answer the OP's question sufficiently. In summary: best with three, but good with two.

dcorban wrote:
The game is significantly different with more than two players. The fact that it is no longer a zero-sum game is one example of a difference.

I think the biggest difference is that, with more players in the game, it increases the chances of someone getting enough good cards from the military deck (e.g., Tactics + Aggression) that it forces all players to be honest and keep up. With 2p, if you do get these good cards, it just means your opponent is likely drawing the +Defense cards. angry Also, with more players, you can have multiple players chip away at a given player.

I play TtA 2p mostly because I do mostly 2p gaming. We've been playing it at just about every session for over a year, but eventually needed to add some of the variant wonders/leaders in the game to address midgame +culture domination. Unlike Dan, 2p TtA is still Top Shelf for me, but I agree that 3p is much more intense and the ultimate way to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Thomas
Australia
Bannockburn
Queensland
flag msg tools
'The Double' 2010/11 Champions 2011/12 'The Double' 2013/14
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe that 2p is ideal, though it is still a great game with only two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:
I think it works well with 2 players, although you should be aware that Pacts are not used in a 2 player game (I think that's the only difference). You still have many tough and enjoyable choices to make.

The sweet spot for this game seems to be 3 players, as 4 players can tend to cause some down time waiting for your turn.

I agree 100%. Best with three, great with two (but very different), not so great with four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least 50 of my 55 plays have been 2-player games. It's great heads-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon L
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Terminal City Tabletop Convention March 30-31, 2019
badge
www.terminalcitytabletop.com
mbmbmb
It's a great two player game. Dynamite!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Absolutely yes. Plays terrifically with 2. Complete no-brainer to purchase even if only ever playing with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

one of the best games for players. Played it over 30 times so far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its a great game with 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an awesome game with 2, 3 and 4 players. I'd play it at any given moment with any number of players.

I have played the game with 2 players about 28 times, and it's marvellous. Definitely a must-purchase even if you'll only play it with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plays outstandingly with 2.

3 is fine but long with AP players so 2 is ideal for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a lot of people have said, it works fine for 2 players, but I feel that 3 players is the best number. You can't have pacts with 2 players and that is something I enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays very well with two players. The only difficulty playing with two is that there can be a runaway leader. Both players must be very attentive so they don't fall behind in any phase of the civilization. There is absolutely zero catch up mechanisms in the two player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sinclair
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another thumbsup for 2-player TtA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohit Goel
India
Mumbai
Maharashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good with 2. Excellent with 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minor Levi
Israel
flag msg tools
Yes, though the experience is very different than with more participants. Firstly, I would advise using the "Friendly" variant while having a head-to-head game, as more often than not one of the players will achieve a far greater military score than his opponent, and without other players to keep him in check - will end the game with a single War over Territory\Holy War or just a couple of aggressions head-on.

I assure you, playing with this variant (for two players) does not reduce the impact of military superiority as it applies on both colonizations and strength-based events throught the game (not to mention age III Impact cards that might apply).

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
badalchemist
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How much time should be set aside for the first time learning to play in a 2-player Simple Game, assuming we don't get too caught up with trying to make great plays the first time around? 2 hours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Stover

Illinois
msg tools
Quote:
How much time should be set aside for the first time learning to play in a 2-player Simple Game, assuming we don't get too caught up with trying to make great plays the first time around? 2 hours?

Just took us 2 hours to learn. I read and re-read the rules before hand and still have a few questions and I am itching to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
badalchemist
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't really have time to read the rules beforehand so the session went something like...

1. Set up the board while reading the setup rules
2. Read the First Round rules
3. Play the First Round
4. Read the Second Round rules
5. Play the Second Round
6. Read the rules for the remaining rounds
7. Actually play the game, continuing to refer back to the rules as needed

It ended up taking 3 hours for the Simple Game (1-6 probably accounted for at least half of that), and it only felt like we accomplished the equivalent of half a game of RFTG.

That being said, it was still fun, and I'm still anxious to try the Advanced game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.