4 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Fighting the Naalu rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack DuVal
Belgium
flag msg tools
We played a 5-player star-by-star game yesterday. The game map ended up being pretty balanced for everyone. Amongst them Sardakk'Nor (Warmongerers) up close to the center (their deep space cannons were able to reach Mecatol Rex from the start of the game!). Clan Saar (Nomads) and Naalu (Retreaters) out in no-mans-land with room to manouver.

Me (Nomads) and the Warmongerers were 'sort of'on friendly terms and outmanouvered each other when one engaged the other either way. The Retreaters on the other hand hit me straight on with nowhere to go, every time I tried to retaliate, they ran away. They had their racial tech from turn 2, costing me a lot of fleet supply command counters for even trying to attack them. He slightly outproduced me, and all mistakes he made (ships left where they shouldn't), he was able to correct them with his 0 initiative and retreat ability. All mistakes I made costed me dearly.

It was my first game with the Nomads and I played the race up to it's part. However I vastly underestimated the Retreaters. So how exactly do you counter the Naalu?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camo Coffey
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, it's important to remember that the Naalu must still obey the remaining rules of retreating: it must be into a space they already control, and it requires a Command Counter from their Strategy Allocation Area.

1) Surround them so they have nowhere to retreat to.
2) Delay attacking until their Strategy Pool is empty.
3) Attack when those counters would be too expensive to spend on retreating; perhaps Production or Technology haven't yet been played and it's clear that the Naalu want to do those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
camocoffey wrote:
Firstly, it's important to remember that the Naalu must still obey the remaining rules of retreating: it must be into a space they already control, and it requires a Command Counter from their Strategy Allocation Area.

These two requirements are do not always apply. If there is a system already activated a retreat will not cost the Naalu a command counter from their strategy allocation area. If they are using a tactical retreat and spend the CC from their strategic allocation, then the system they retreat into does not need to have been previously activated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is, if the Tactical Retreat Variant from Shattered Empires, is being used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.