Subject: BGG & Geekdo -- What's the difference? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Levi E
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please explain the difference between boardgamegeek.com and geekdo.com?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Stein
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
netlevi wrote:
Can someone please explain the difference between boardgamegeek.com and geekdo.com?

Boardgamegeek.com is blocked by my school, while geekdo.com is not.

In all seriousness, they are pretty much the same. Geekdo is the combination of BGG and RPG Geek. There are a few stylistic differences regarding toolbars, but all information/log ins/etc carry over between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Geekdo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the cool kids use www.boardgamegeek.com

Otherwise geekdo is an umbrella domain to cover BGG & RPGG + whatever other geek domains that Aldie, Derk & co. want to put online. The interface is somewhat different between the two. It also has what in my opinion is a silly pseudo-oriental theme.

So it really is a matter of preference unless you need RPG content or want to be considered cool.

EDITED to make Lauren happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Stein
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spizio wrote:
All of the cool kids use www.boargamegeek.com

Is that the site that lists all games involving boars? I'll bet Agricola is rated #1 there, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
lflurie wrote:
spizio wrote:
All of the cool kids use www.boargamegeek.com

Is that the site that lists all games involving boars? I'll bet Agricola is rated #1 there, too.

Just making sure you were paying attention, you know like a test to see if you are cool enough to enter www.boardgamegeek.com shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG is a semi-offensive name that at least conveys what the site is about.

GeekDoo is some jibberish that no one can pronounce and makes no sense, hence it's pretty useless. Except when the system is crashing. You get a couple more minutes if you run over to GeekDoo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I discovered BGG.com, my first question/post was why there were no Role Playing Games. Someone said I needed to go to rpggeek.com. I thought it was sarcasm, but I got it (RPGs are not board games). It turns out that there was a rpggeek.com in the works.

When Geekdo was later launched, I assumed it WAS rpggeek.com -- BGG for role playing games. Not sure why it wasn't called rpggeek.com (or roleplayinggamegeek.com), as it would have fit the theme.

They seem so similar (my bgg avatar works on geekdo), I don't know why they don't merge and create a "RPG rank" like they do for "wargame rank", but there's probably a really good and technical reason that is beyond my understanding.

To answer your question -- when I want to look up, say, Power Grid or Monopoly, I go to bgg. If I want to look up a Recon (Vietnam-themed role-playing game) expansion, I go to geekdo. There maybe more to it than that, and if there is, then I'm as confused as you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
GeekDoo is some jibberish that no one can pronounce and makes no sense, hence it's pretty useless.

Most of us pronounce it just fine. I don't recall you being quite this [sarcastic/obnoxious] in person.

Anyway, to answer the OP.

Geekdō (pronounced Geek-Doh) is the umbrella site that houses BoardGameGeek (bgg.geekdo.com) and RPG Geek (rpg.geekdo.com) and very soon Video Game Geek (vgg.geekdo.com). You can still get to BoardGameGeek via www.boardgamegeek.com and always will (though the user interface is the older interface... updated less frequently than the new common interface at *.geekdo.com which I strongly prefer).

The RPG Geek is the newest subdomain of Geekdō that specializes in Role-Playing Game content. The idea is that the Geekdō site will continue to expand in the future to cover other hobby areas - all of which benefit the original 'Geek domains as revenue is common to all sites. Each expansion of Geekdō is intended to be hidden enough from the other hobby domains as to be virtually invisible if you only care to delve into one particular hobby. But for those of us who like to cross over our geekiness into other realms - this will be a nice one-stop place to get our fix! On the *.geekdo.com domains we can (with a single click) bounce back and forth between specialized domains (currently Boardgames and RPGs... soon Video Games). Because the developers of Geekdō have worked hard to create commonality and shared code between the various hobby domains, it means that improvements to one site will often be reflected across the other hobby domains. In layman's terms: the site will get better and better for all of us as it expands!

The Geekdo Kanji

Many people wonder about these strange symbols that show repeatedly in people's avatars, badges and are scattered around the site. These symbols are Chinese characters - known as Kanji. The main Kanji used for Geekdo (the parent site for RPG Geek and Boardgame Geek) is the Chinese symbol for 'do' meaning 'the way'. Geekdo means, quite simply, The Way of the Geek.

RPG Geek Destiny

The RPG Geek borrows from another Kanji in direct homage to the Geekdo Kanji. The "Fate/Destiny" kanji is shown below:

We've a number of new microbadges designed to show support for the site (both the primary Geekdō domain and the subdomains):

mbmbmbmbmb mb

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.