Subject: Preview rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
For BUCK ROGERS, we were all new to this game so we only use the basic rules. But some of the advanced ones seem to be very intersting (especially the slingshot effect of the planets when you travel through space). We use the hero powers but one was very powerful (the one which allowed a player to steal two units from another one!). As somebody has already said, the clever system is the movement of the planets. You have to wait for the good conjunction between two planets to be able to launch your invasion! 5 orbits (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars and Asteroids) are represented. To simulate the different speeds of revolutions, there is different numbers of steps on each one (for example, Mercury has two positions, Venus 4 and Earth 8; of course each planet moves one step forward each turn. Paths are draught between the differents positions and orbits). Each time you enter a planet zone, you have to pass by the far orbit, then the near orbit and finally to land on the planet. These zones are represented separately for each planet on the "sides" of the mapboard, around the orbits.

It also true that it's an Axis & Allies-like game, with dice rolls to solve conflicts. The basic game lasted 8 turns (one earth revolution around the sun) for about 4 hours (discovering the rules at the same time). It should me more intersting to try a longer version (2 revolutions) to allow more conjunctions. Between the 3 first turns everyone was trying to conquer a planet and build a killer-satellite in order to protect his "homebase". During the 3 next, one tried to build as much units as possible, waiting for the good final conjunctions to invade the weakest player (the one without a killer-satellite!). The two last turns saw two players (Laurent and me) invading the Earth which was still unprotected!

The mechanism is a little bit "old" but still works very well if you don't mind to wait some time between your turns! We introduced some "Role Playing" in the game because each of us was representing one of the character of the comics (I've never read one!) and we made and broke alliance very quickly!

Buy it only if it's a bargain (I would say below $20) but be sure to find 4-5 other motivated players before! I'm sure it's more intersting if you know well the comics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.