Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the subject. Your favorite Character and why? No Cylon Leaders. Go to Pegasus form to comment on that.

My favorite is Zarek. You get the three most used cards in the game. You can become president easy and keep/get people out of the brig easier. I also like being able to modify a resource by one. You start on colonial one and can use that press room! Just seems you get a lot of attention from the other players.

I haven't played Dee but she might be my new favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMurray
msg tools
I couldn't possibly pick a favorite. If I want to play a powerful character, Starbuck is top choice. For utility it's Dee. For politics it's Ellen. And if I want to be admiral, Cain is the funnest military leader IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Cain, Straight forward, kind of brutal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far out of the few times I've played I like Saul.

Lots of tactics cards for scouting, leadership for XO, both colours good for briggings.

He makes a good human and great unrevealed Cylon.

I'm hoping to try Zarek next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeathInc wrote:

Lots of tactics cards for scouting, leadership for XO, both colours good for briggings.

And you get to rant and rave about all the other frakkin' players making by-jesus frak-ups of the whole thing!

Gerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For card draw I like Zarek. For specials I like Helo or Dee. But overall I think my favorite is Chief. As a human he can really pull the human's out of the fire in combat heavy games with his high engineeering and ability to take a second action and his other three cards are all good as well. As a cylon he's not quite as good but he does have the advantages of being somewhat under the radar (or should I say dradis?) and I find in the heat of the moment a lot of people will forget he draws anything but blue bringing a decent amount of heat down on the heads of polical and military leaders if you decide to throw a skill check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
My character choices are inevitably dictated by theme; as a consequence, Roslin is my favorite.

Aside from her (which, really, isn't fair, since none can compare in my book), I quite enjoy playing Helo, as his re-roll ability is quite good. His downside can be a little vexing, but it can be ameliorated in a game with smaller numbers of players, or by choosing him if you're first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vinarcik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur re Helo...I love playing him due to the re-roll (I think that makes him a great admiral). As for the theme...he was the one military character who was a solid family man, no drinking problem, solid ethics...in my opinion, the best male character of the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
DeathInc wrote:

And you get to rant and rave about all the other frakkin' players making by-jesus frak-ups of the whole thing!

Gerry

By who?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

By who?

Well, there's always something going wrong.So crusty old Saul can be blaming just about anything on whatever's happening.Even if he's just cursing at the crisis deck and the cylons. More a role-playing thing, then actually any game comments.

Gerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

By who?

Well, there's always something going wrong.So crusty old Saul can be blaming just about anything on whatever's happening.Even if he's just cursing at the crisis deck and the cylons. More a role-playing thing, then actually any game comments.

Gerry

I think you didn't get me - I bolded a quoted part of your previous post. If your players are role-playing Saul and they're quoting "by-jesus", they're not doing it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure he used "Jesus Christ what are they doing?" in second season. I'm just going thru the box set and was amazed. Having played Saul in one of the PBF's I had been run out of safe-for-cable-TV swear words and was repeating myself. Something a GOOD XO would never do, even thru a 5 minute tirade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
I'm pretty sure he used "Jesus Christ what are they doing?" in second season. I'm just going thru the box set and was amazed. Having played Saul in one of the PBF's I had been run out of safe-for-cable-TV swear words and was repeating myself. Something a GOOD XO would never do, even thru a 5 minute tirade.

Really?! Wow - slip-up on the part of the writers there!

Actually, just checked the Battlestar Wiki and you're right - there are two occurrences of an actor saying "Jesus!" as an exclamation: Tigh in the miniseries, and Kat in the episode "Valley of Darkness". Tigh's was an ad-lib that should have been edited out though (they don't say whether Kat's was a writing or ad-lib error).

In the interests of keeping speech in-universe though, you shouldn't say it while gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

In the interests of keeping speech in-universe though, you shouldn't say it while gaming.

Spoiler for final season stuff:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Considering Jesus hasn't been born for some centuries to come, that's a pretty major actor/editing slip up! Of course, the fact that everyone speaks English and yet use the names of the Greek Gods and the Zodiac symbology requires a bit of suspension of disbelief as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
For whatever it may be worth, Roslin's use of the phrase "pound of flesh" in the "abortion" episode is also problematic, since the phrase originates with Shakespeare; the episode where Starbuck goes back to her apartment on Caprica and puts on music played by her father is, in fact, Metamorphosis One by Philip Glass.

RDM eventually explains all this away (including other, uh, recurring musical themes) by noting the existence of these phrases/cultural things in the "collective subconscious", which allows for them to happen again and again and again.

So you might argue that you could technically say such things without breaking character...

~

More to the topic: the real advantage of playing someone like Tigh is that you get to say frak constantly and drink all the time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Gonzalez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helo rocks as unrevealed Cylon.
Everybody counts on him to shoot with Galactica, destroy Centurions or jump with the fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonial One wrote:
For whatever it may be worth, Roslin's use of the phrase "pound of flesh" in the "abortion" episode is also problematic, since the phrase originates with Shakespeare; the episode where Starbuck goes back to her apartment on Caprica and puts on music played by her father is, in fact, Metamorphosis One by Philip Glass.

RDM eventually explains all this away (including other, uh, recurring musical themes) by noting the existence of these phrases/cultural things in the "collective subconscious", which allows for them to happen again and again and again.

So you might argue that you could technically say such things without breaking character...

~

More to the topic: the real advantage of playing someone like Tigh is that you get to say frak constantly and drink all the time...

I would argue that quotes from works of fiction are more "permissible" than reference to historical figures, though. A million monkeys, and all that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Till
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaius *Frakking* Baltar

I like him for many different reasons.

The first one is the roleplaying aspect. I can act totally weird and non-conventional with the excuse of being a troubled genius. I also like to spin on my chair with a vacant gaze to the ceiling and a slightly moronic smile on my face and imagine head six is there That I usually do when I pass on skill checks and I want to imply that Baltar is too busy to contribute to humanity's survival.

The second one is his ability to draw from all skill decks, which helps him to have always at least one skill card to contribute to any skill check. This is also handy if you are a Cylon and want to put the blame on someone else.

The third reason is his high position in the Presidential successor line. As no one in my group likes Roslin too much, I often get to be president. And I love the Quorum Deck!

The fourth reason is that I like being a Cylon (who doesn't?) and he has a higher chance of being so. Though, out of 6 games I played as Cylon I got to be Cylon only once. And if Baltar is not a Cylon you at least know that the most supsicious character (yourself!) is not a Cylon and can go to work using the Cylon Detector on the Admiral, giving a huge boost to human safety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clementson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing Apollo. AVP is such a good ability - provides additional actions for human players or the opportunity for an out of turn reveal for a cylon. His OPG is likewise a double edged sword. You also get the choice of Politics or Leadership - so easy access to both XOs and Consolidate Powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
Germany
41472 Neuss
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cain - Default Admiral and nice OPG
Helo - I like the OPG
Baltar - double loyalty , double fun
Boomer - double loyalty , double fun, nice OPG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buensuceso
United States
California
flag msg tools
baldrick wrote:
I like playing Apollo. AVP is such a good ability - provides additional actions for human players or the opportunity for an out of turn reveal for a cylon. His OPG is likewise a double edged sword. You also get the choice of Politics or Leadership - so easy access to both XOs and Consolidate Powers.

I played as Apollo for my first time last night and I totally agree. Having his OPG, AVP, and if possible, the CAG title, can really stir up a lethal dosage of toaster scrap.

We played with the Cylon Fleet board last night and right before my turn, the ships all jumped in front of Galactica. We were overrun big-time and to protect our civilian ships, I used a combo of my OPG to get my vipers into position, AVP to get myself into position, and a CAG action for my AVP with a combination of Maximum Firepower.

Although us humans lost, that was perhaps one of the most satisfying moments I have ever had with BSG. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Saul Tigh.

I love his OPG. If I'm human, I neutralize a cylon president. If I'm a cylon, I say that I'm neutralizing a possible cylon president... either way, I tend to get away with it.

I've heard people say Cain essentially makes Tigh obsolete, but I don't play with Pegasus very often.

Love brigging Starbuck with him.

And he's one of my favorite characters on the show.

The one negative about Saul is that if somebody has already chosen Adama, I won't pick Saul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Till
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now my favourite character is Cain. Maybe not "favourite", but certainly one of the strongest characters. I think her OPG ability gives humans a huge boost. We played two sessions today and both times we could make a good blind jump and saved us a complete jump cylce each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rully JRM
msg tools
mvinarcik wrote:
I concur re Helo...I love playing him due to the re-roll (I think that makes him a great admiral). As for the theme...he was the one military character who was a solid family man, no drinking problem, solid ethics...in my opinion, the best male character of the series.

I agree. I usually choose characters based on theme, and Helo has always been my favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Roslin. Because her OPT is incredibly powerful, as is her skill card draw (being able to play Investigative Committees and Executive Orders almost at will? Sweet). Because her drawback is a serious effect that it's fun to try to mitigate. Because she's a central character to the mythology of the series. And because she's absolutely frakking gorgeous and I enjoy having her character card sitting in front of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.