Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I say yes but then any game can be played solo. It depends on how much pleasure you derive from just going through the motions. I playtested the game solo many times on the assumption that there were X number of players and I controlled them all. You can give specific characteristics to each of the 'players' to try and simulate the idiosyncrases of various player types.
I actually enjoy playing through some games on this basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the two contests in the basic game solo to help learn the rules. It can be done, but to an extent you know what cards everyone has, so you need to develop multiple personalities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received the game today and played a little solo session and found it very enjoyable.

I essentially looked at the team distribution for each of the 3 imaginary players, did a quick analysis, and jotted down little notes for basic strategy for each one like:

Player 1: Get Uraguay and USA through in Group 3 & 4;
Player 2: Yugoslavia in group 2, Prevent Argentina in Group 1
Player 3: Argentina and Brasil in Group 1 and 2. Prevent USA in Group 4.

...and that was enough to make it fun. Before I knew it two hours had passed so it must have been interesting. But there wasn't any question of me winning against a system or anything....I was doing it just to learn the game.

...but I'm wondering if there may be a better way?

Such as human player gets 4-5 teams and all other teams are controlled by a "system", that try to stop the player from advancing his teams.

That might be interesting. May try to come up with something one of these nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be a great game to get on BSW or somewhere like that for real-time play. I've got some buddies who love to play it, so I'm never hurting to play. But if I didn't, I'd be upset because it really is a great, great game. If price was cheaper you could set up a game during an American soccer tailgate and sell copies for sure.

In the meantime though, BSW is the dream.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually come up with a pretty decent way to play solo which doesn't require you to have any cards placed face up or to play multiple personalities.

This is what I do for 2002.

Player picks 5 teams. If he does not get a black or red team and has a grey team, he gets an extra pick.

All of the other teams go into a big pool of teams managed by all the "other" players. We'll simulate 4 other players. Divide the teams up into groups and separate them by colors so you know who the favorites are in each group and so you know if the system completely controls a group.

Shuffle the deck and deal out 12 cards and get rid of them. They simulate the cards help by the 4 imaginary players.

For every card played by the player, the system will play 4 cards. The cards played by the system are drawn directly from the deck right before the card is played.

For the first card drawn, simply try to play it in such a way that you try to prevent your own best team from advancing. For the other three cards, drawn one by one, you play them in such a way that you encourage the system's best teams to go forwards. Don't play more than one tile to favor a single team in each round. I move the teams ball on top of their flag to indicate they already got a tile which helps them that round. When a team's situation is stable and they don't require any more tiles...I flip their flag over which is a signal that I don't have to pay attention to them any more unless the situation changes (usually because I play a Foul or Offsides).

When the system controls a group (they have 3-4 of the teams), try to get the following scenario: the favorite and runner up both win their games against the 2 worst teams in the group while playing as few tiles as possible and they draw the game against one another - 0-0 is good. Try to give the favorite a better goal differential. It doesn't require many tiles and it gets the proper teams through in the right order.

I change things a little bit in the elimination rounds to simulate less "other players" but that's basically it. It's working well and its very fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.