Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing those Hanto ads for the iphone appear x-times, I searched for it on BGG and found no game. After further investigation, it looks to be based on Hive--but with a Japanese theme. Probably a better theme in my opinion, but is that kosher to release a game based on a very recent game's ruleset?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor McNish
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanto came out for the iphone before the official version of Hive, was pulled after Hive's creator complained, came back with different move sets, etc, etc
There's a thread about it in the hive forums I think, with John Yianni (sp?)'s take on the whole affair.

It's a nice implementation. I have it and the official iphone version (and wooden as well as bakelite versions of Hive). Great game.

As far as being kosher; well, it's not illegal to reimplement a game, copyright only applies to images/text etc, not to systems. Kosherity is a different question. Lots of people around here seem to like to encourage the adoption of community mores. For my part, I'm happy to leave kosherity up to a person and their creator.

Personally, I think the creation of Hanto pushed the iphone implementation of Hive along, which is a good thing. You can't have too much Hive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.