Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings to all. In a thread regarding a 2-player variant, a poster said something to the effect that "the 2-player rules work quite well." This leads me to believe that the game comes boxed with a 2-player rule set/variant. Is this correct? BTW: I am referring to the Warfrog edition. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The two player rules are a user created variant. Maybe someone will link it, because I don't know where it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see - that's disappointing. We really want to play this game and the variant that users seem to like best has each player effectively playing the role of two players, and that seems like a pain. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link, it was on the 2nd page of the Brass > Variants forum:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/257485/brass-2-player-varian...-

I've only played Brass once (a few nights ago), using this variant with my girlfriend and we both loved it. I'm looking forward to trying it with more players soon, but it's really quite good with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
the variant I've played uses a restricted board and subset of cards. there is no dummy hand. it works pretty well.. not as much fun as 3 or 4 player though.
Brass 2 player variant suggestion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Conceicao
Portugal
Carcavelos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not out of the box but it will only require a print

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/42372

That map works very well with 2 players and I believe it's the same version that's played online.

Give it a try you won't regret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not sure where you got the impression that the "preferred" 2-player variant has you playing two hands.... The one linked to above is the I think the most popular, as it's implemented in the online play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the restricted map variant as a 2 player option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected. Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My solution for 2 player is very simple. Have two colours each, one person goes 1st and 4th on the first turn, then play standard rules. The winner is the player with the highest aggregate score across both colours.

That's it - no rule, card or map nerfing.

I have played many games this way and it really works. You tend to develop one player more towards cotton mills and the other to ports. But if you over develop, you will run out of usable buildings. It also means you play in a different way to try and utilise your own team's coal for example.

Try it.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We thought it played just fine 2 player with no mods at all, just removing a few more cards.

Remove 20 in canal phase, 18 in rail phase for 12 turns each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
battlepuppy wrote:
My solution for 2 player is very simple. Have two colours each, one person goes 1st and 4th on the first turn, then play standard rules. The winner is the player with the highest aggregate score across both colours.

That's it - no rule, card or map nerfing.

I have played many games this way and it really works. You tend to develop one player more towards cotton mills and the other to ports. But if you over develop, you will run out of usable buildings. It also means you play in a different way to try and utilise your own team's coal for example.

Try it.

Andrew

I would further suggest one change to this: Of the two player scores under your control, take the lower score. Compare lower scores to determine a winner.

This encourages more balanced play, but admittedly might be difficult to do, given the nature of Brass. Still... just a suggestion.

What I do when playing 2 colors simultaneously in other games (El Grande, Caylus, El Capitan, Amyitis, etc) is I take the average of the 2 colors at game end. I often saw a game being decided by one half point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
fardoche wrote:
What I do when playing 2 colors simultaneously in other games (El Grande, Caylus, El Capitan, Amyitis, etc) is I take the average of the 2 colors at game end. I often saw a game being decided by one half point

This is the same thing as taking the total of the scores. All you've done is divided by 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammerite wrote:
fardoche wrote:

This is the same thing as taking the total of the scores. All you've done is divided by 2.

Of course it doesn't change the winner, but I like to have "realistic classical" scores, rather than doubles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
fardoche wrote:

Of course it doesn't change the winner, but I like to have "realistic classical" scores, rather than doubles.

I guess that is true, fair enough if that's the objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.