Subject: Six player game - Baltar fails to save humanity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My second game. First time playing six players. Definitely a better experience than three players, although it took a while to get around to my turn. On the other hand, I had a lot of time to watch everyone and consider their allegiances. It went relatively fast considering the number of players. I don't think I even got 10 turns. We broke out the game around 7pm and finished up around 10:30, and that included a long rules discussion. I was the only player to have played before. One other guy had watched a game previously.

The roles chosen were Chief, Adama, Tom Zarek, Starbuck, Helo, and Gaius Baltar. I was Baltar. Although for my cowardice I was dealt two loyalty cards, I was not a cylon.

Because there was no Roslin, I was made president. That didn't last though. Almost immediately there was a military coup, and Adama became a military dictator. Things went smoothly for a whle: Adama succesfully used both nukes on basestars and Starbuck took care of any raiders.

Meanwhile, Chief started suspecting Zarek's allegiance and was able to have a look at his loyalty. He vigorously intimated that Zarek was a cylon. Though his zealousness made some of us suspect maybe Chief was the cylon just trying to throw us off. To make sure, I pulled out my one time use cylon detector and confirmed that Zarek was indeed the cylon. Everyone was pretty much convinced at this point and Adama threw him in the brig.

I was almost certain Adama was not the cylon...yet. But I was concerned he was too powerful. I called that we make a new president, suggesting myself. That didn't go over so well, so I nominated Helo. That succeeded.

Zarek with his minus 2 skill check thought he could free himself, but it wasn't enough. He languished in prison one more turn and then went ahead and revealed what we already knew, sending himself to the Rehab ship.

After our third jump, the sh*t started to hit the fan. The sleeper phase took place. Chief, for all his anti-cylonism ended up being a cylon sympathizer and then two basestars in a row showed up. Raiders were everywhere, civilian ships were in danger, we were getting boarded, and we weren't even close to being able to jump again. Even more raiders arrived! Although chief was only human and thus not a strong cylon opponent, he could still activate the raiders each turn. Moreover, we knew there was still a cylon in our midst. I strongly suspected President Helo. Although he always did something helpful, it didn't seem he was making good use of his Quorum cards. But there was too much to do to bother throwing him in the brig. Also at this point, I think he would have been worse as a revealed cylon, activating the raiders.

We started losing civilian ships and consequently population. We had a few vipers out, but all the rest were damaged so that Starbuck couldn't even get out there to help.

When it came to my turn, our population was at 4, Helo was in the armory fighting off a boarding party, Starbuck and Adama were in weapons control and had killed a couple raiders but not enough. We had four civilian ships protected by just two vipers, with eight raiders swarming around them. What I really wanted to do was repair a couple of vipers, but I figured it would be too late by the time it came around for Adama to launch them. Instead I commanded the two vipers to attack, but only destroyed one of the raiders.

On my crisis draw the raiders were activated. Three of them took out the vipers while the other four destroyed the civilian ships, knocking out the rest of the population and winning the game for the cylons. Helo was indeed the other cylon, and I definitely regretted making him president.

Lessons learned:
Don't waste nukes early in the game
Start with short jumps to stall the sleeper phase (unless you know all the cylons and sleepers are out)
Repair vipers as soon as they get damaged
Revealed cylons are most powerful when there's a lot of ships
Try to be a cylon so I can actually win the game next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldpear wrote:

This is a common sentiment among new players. Remember that, for your first few games, the humans are going to be doing comparable damage to themselves as the Cylons are, simply because the players have not gotten good at the game, so they are playing inefficiently and sometimes downright self-sabotagingly.

Most players here have found that the Cylons will win most of the first several games, then gradually the win percentage will swing towards the humans. Don't give up hope, lousy meatbag -- er, I mean "brave human" -- the humans will get their our chance eventually.

Great session report, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
oldpear wrote:

This is a common sentiment among new players. Remember that, for your first few games, the humans are going to be doing comparable damage to themselves as the Cylons are, simply because the players have not gotten good at the game, so they are playing inefficiently and sometimes downright self-sabotagingly.

Most players here have found that the Cylons will win most of the first several games, then gradually the win percentage will swing towards the humans. Don't give up hope, lousy meatbag -- er, I mean "brave human" -- the humans will get their our chance eventually.

Great session report, by the way.

Unless it's my group. Humans-1 vs. Cylons-10. I think if the Cylons truly understand the game I think it's near impossible for the Humans to win in the base game. Both times I was a cylon (and recieved both cylon cards) the humans were DESTROYED! The one time Humans one it was my brothers first game and he was a cylon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Eno
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldpear wrote:
Although chief was only human and thus not a strong cylon opponent, he could still activate the raiders each turn.

You may have misplayed that. A cylon sympathizer who ends up being on the cylon team can't activate the Cylon Fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
With a Cylon Sympathizer, the humans are bound to lose. In a six-player game it is really important that the humans drop one of the resources in the red, and then activate the Sleeper Agent phase ASAP. If they do that, my estimate is that they have a 50-50 chance of winning the game, if their skill is about the same as the Cylons' skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldpear wrote:
Although chief was only human and thus not a strong cylon opponent, he could still activate the raiders each turn.
As someone else said, sounds like you played this wrong: a Sympathizer on the Cylon side can't activate the Cylon Fleet location. (And I agree with the other person who said that you really have to make sure you have a resource in the red.)

Quote:
We had a few vipers out, but all the rest were damaged so that Starbuck couldn't even get out there to help.
This is a rule that a lot of people miss -- in fact, she could have. If there are no Vipers in the reserves, but there are Vipers in space, someone activating the Hangar Deck can recall one of the space Vipers to the reserves to launch into.

Quote:
Starbuck and Adama were in weapons control and had killed a couple raiders but not enough. We had four civilian ships protected by just two vipers, with eight raiders swarming around them. What I really wanted to do was repair a couple of vipers, but I figured it would be too late by the time it came around for Adama to launch them.
Sounds like at least one of them would have done better to be in Command instead. If you could have played an Executive Order card on someone in Command, they could have attacked with the Vipers four times. (Getting the extra actions from Executive Order cards is very important on the human side.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Snake? What happened? Snake! Snaaaaaake!
badge
Your eyebrows won't save you now.
mbmbmbmbmb
oldpear wrote:
Almost immediately there was a military coup, and Adama became a military dictator. Chief started suspecting Zarek's allegiance and was able to have a look at his loyalty. To make sure, I pulled out my one time use cylon detector and confirmed that Zarek was indeed the cylon. Everyone was pretty much convinced at this point and Adama threw him in the brig.

Two suggestions here. At least one (possibly both) of the Chief and Zarek are cylons. An open accusation has been made with an ``I've seen the loyalty card'' as a reason, so:
(A) If Baltar is truly concerned about the situation he should consider looking at the Chief rather than Zarek. All else being equal, the Chief's OPG is much more detrimental to the humans. Looking at a single player cannot distinguish the case that both suspect players are cylons.
(B) That said, I would much rather throw them both in the brig and wait for the sleeper agent phase before using my once per game. Then if there is still a Presmiral it is probably obligatory to look at the Presmiral's Loyalty.

Quote:

After our third jump, the sh*t started to hit the fan. The sleeper phase took place.

Fuel should almost certainly be in the red by the third jump. Especially in a 4/6p, although this is also true in 5p. The humans want to minimize the length of the game, and pushing fuel into the red is the easiest way to avoid the extra cylon with even player number. A strong move for a cylon admiral is to violate this.

Quote:
Lessons learned:
Don't waste nukes early in the game
Start with short jumps to stall the sleeper phase (unless you know all the cylons and sleepers are out)
Repair vipers as soon as they get damaged
Revealed cylons are most powerful when there's a lot of ships

Short jumps are often bad for the humans, unless game situations specifically dictate otherwise (i.e. we're going to lose on fuel if we can't find a Tylium Planet, or we want to 8 distance on the nose).

In the base game revealed cylons are most powerful parking on Caprica and trying to cost the humans resources. Note that Caprica does not grant jump prep (unless playing with the expansion). There are other reasonable options, but this is the general rule.

Hear are some tips:
(A) Use Launch Scout.
(B) Abuse Investigative committee, wasting skill cards on one skill check means you won't have them for later skill checks.
(B') Purple is the most frequently positive color for skill checks, while yellow is negative on all Super Crisis cards with skill checks.
(C) Don't executive order to your left until you know the loyalty of the player to your left. Executive order frequently when you know a players loyalty matches yours.

Good luck exterminating saving humanity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Hermansen
Denmark
Ringsted
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn...
Make me wanna try this game.
I love the series but I have never tried the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely forgot to come back here and check on my session report. Thanks for all the advice! I recently realized we were indeed playing the sympathizer wrong by letting him activate the cylon fleet. We definitely could have survived a bit longer had we known that.

Can't wait to play again and hopefully draw a cylon to see how the other half lives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.