Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah hello chit chat,

my mum wants a laptop to use for (*sigh*) playing the windows included patience games (i.e solitare, and what ever the others is named), basic surfing and a bit of writeing stuff.

(So basicly I guess anything should work)

Do you think that the Packard Bell EasyNote MH36 would be succifent. She don't want to pay much but she wants a big screen. So thats my doubt to it, still a cheap >15" laptop sounds a bit impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
What she's asking for is not hardware intensive; you can do that stuff on an iPhone.

Get her the cheapest thing you can find in a color she likes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree; find the cheapest 17" laptop you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
philomars wrote:
You'd be patience ahead by buying her an old mac laptop. My dad was forever deleting dll and exe files. At least on a mac he can't get to them. Haven't had a lick of trouble since.

P

You can set up explorer to not not show sys files in windows. That would address that. She probably won't even go into it.

Even better, grant yourself admin privileges (and password protect it) and her only basic user privileges. She probably won't be installing anything and it'll save you a lot of headaches. If you live close by you can make system changes for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is partly a shameless plug, but here goes:

Good advice for anyone (not part of the shameless plug):

Macs are better for non-computer savvy people. They are way easier to set up and way easier to keep set up correctly. They very rarely get or even are threatened by malware or viruses. This is true whether you buy new or used. If you are going to help her administer her machine over the phone with her, it's also much easier as well. I urge you to take this advice whether or not you are swayed by the following shameless plug.

Now, for the shameless plug:

Rick and I have written and have sold for years the best Solitaire software there is (if we say so ourselves). Every year it gets on the best shareware games lists right up there with all the shoot-em-up type games. Right now it only works on Macs. We're working on a Windows version and maybe in the future a Linux version as well.

It's called Solitaire Till Dawn and has all the windows solitaires in it as well as a bunch of others. One hundred different games in all. A lot of choices on card backs and backgrounds (including using your own photos for backgrounds). You can look at it at www.semicolon.com.

The two or three windows solitaires that come with Windows machines are limited and have boring graphics.

-Helen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Acctualy yes I would like to buy her a Mac, how ever she was very adment about not a old laptop and not an expensive one (the Packard Bell mentioned earlier is on sale), and also "I use windows at work, I want windows to learn *other systems except the one at work"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get her a new or refurbished white Macbook, and dual-boot Windows XP and Mac OS X. That'd be just about perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Not with that budget it was not. Any way went the cheapest ever 17" that did not have Windows Vista.

She seems sastisfied at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Screw macs--they're expensive and non-standard. Get her a $500 Dell. Install what she wants on it for her, and then give her a non-admin user account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
BoB3K wrote:
... and non-standard.

Yet. ;-)

Anyone who can afford it should own a Mac, they are quite pricey I'll give you that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
BoB3K wrote:
... and non-standard.

Yet. ;-)

Anyone who can afford it should own a Mac, they are quite pricey I'll give you that.

Only because Apple won't build down to a price. Feature-for-feature they're reasonable, if not a bit better than a PC.

And whose definition of Standard are we going with, here? Macs are POSIX compliant, Windows isn't. Safari is standards-compliant, IE8 isn't.

If you mean binary compatibility with Windows programs, then no, they aren't...but you can install windows on them if that's an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
If a Mac is out of your price range, try Ubuntu on a cheap PC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.