Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam H
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that in order to win, a player must collect 3 objectives and control their capital at the end of the turn. I'd always interpreted this to be at the end of a player's attacking and reinforcement phase, but a friend challenged me and said the round needed to be completed, meaning that unless the winning player is the last in order, any other players following in order would have an opportunity to stop the winner.

This creates a "capital rush" scenario, where other players would have to take and hold the capital of the winning player before his next turn. This also creates an advantage in the end game for players lower in the order to compensate for their disadvantage at the outset. Allowing for all players to have a final turn would neutralize this advantage, but that's not how we played.

I conceded the point to my friend and we finished the game under these rules. It extended our game by a few rounds. The original "winner" (first player) never recovered from the slash and burn capital rush by the second player, and I, the third player, took advantage of this conflict to collect my third objective without the chance for other players to rush my capital.

I'd like to know the official interpretation of this rule as well as any thoughts on these variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You were correct to begin with - the rules state that you must control your capital and have three objectives at the end of your "turn," not at the end of the "round."

This version of the game already compensates players further down in the turn rotation by giving them additional reinforcement cards at the beginning of the game - they don't need to be compensated twice.

I think this is fine as a house rule if you like to play this way, but it's not the official method.

We always play global domination, though, so there's never any question about who the winner is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.